Brisbane Roar Supporters Forum

General Category => Brisbane Roar News => Topic started by: Roary on November 16, 2015, 01:38:08 AM

Title: Henrique scores on return from knee injury to send Brisbane Roar to top
Post by: Roary on November 16, 2015, 01:38:08 AM

AN emotional Henrique scored in his return from a serious knee injury as Brisbane Roar jumped to the top of the A-League ladder with a 1-0 win over Perth Glory at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

The Roar favourite, who required a knee reconstruction after coming unstuck in an AFC Champions League match eight months, netted the decisive goal 17 minutes after coming on as a replacement for 17-year-old striker Nick D?Agostino.

Brisbane?s three substitutes combined to seal Brisbane their three points, with Devante Clut heading the ball to Javier Hervas, who with his first touch in the A-League flicked the ball with the outside of his left foot to Henrique.

The recently naturalised Australian did the rest, beating advancing Glory goalkeeper Ante Covic to the ball to knock it home to the delight of the 11,748 fans.

Embraced by his teammates, Henrique was in tears after the goal as emotion got the better of him in his A-League return.

The win, the Roar?s fourth of the season and third at home, moved Brisbane to 13 points on the ladder, two clear of second-placed Sydney FC, who lost 4-2 to Melbourne Victory on Saturday night.

The Roar deserved their latest win, but the Glory made it hard for this hosts, particularly for a large chunk of the second half.

However, Brisbane?s superiority told in the end, with the Glory remaining near the base of the ladder with just three points.

Roar coach John Aloisi gave teenager D?Agostino his A-League debut, making him Brisbane?s third-youngest player in the competition?s history behind Tommy Oar and Patrick Theodore.

D?Agostino filled the void left by Jamie Maclaren, who is on Olyroos duty in Dubai.

It was one of two changes the side that started in the Roar?s 0-0 draw with Sydney FC. Skipper Matt McKay, on Socceroos duty, was replaced by Steve Lustica.

The Glory made three changes to the team that started in their 2-0 FFA Cup final loss.

Guyon Fernandez, Antony Golec and Aryn Williams replaced Sidnei Sciola, the injured Dino Djulbic and Socceroos squad member Josh Risdon.

Brisbane dominated the first-half, but for all their superior football, they could not take a lead into half-time.

Dimitri Petratos hit the post in the 26th-minute with a cracking 20-metre off that had goalkeeper Ante Covic beaten before the woodwork came to the Glory?s rescue.

Three minutes later Petratos again got himself into a goal-scoring position but sprayed his shot well over the crossbar after being found unmarked by Brandon Borrello.

Petratos, who moved wide in the second half after Clut replaced Brandon Borrello, was again denied by the woodwork soon after Henrique?s goal.

But it didn?t matter in the end, with Henrique?s goal and the team?s third-straight clean sheet securing the three points.