Author Topic: Aussies Abroad - News, info etc.  (Read 34041 times)

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
    • 3D Warehouse (3D Models)
Re: Aussies Abroad - News, info etc.
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 10:18:10 PM »
Nicky Carle also played another 81 minutes before being subbed off against Palace's loss to Villa this morning in the FA Cup
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
King of them All!

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2010, 10:34:55 AM »
Jade North has left Korea (and the current Socceroos squad in Brissie) to take up a short term contract with Tromso in Norway.

As far as I can gather he's been signed as injury cover till August.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

scotto_01

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »
Rukavystya scored overnight
Genk missed the opportunity to climb into eighth place in the Jupiler League after being forced to fight back for a 1-1 draw at Roeselare on Thursday (AEDT).

Fringe Socceroos striker Nikita Rukavytsya put relegation-threatened Roeselare in front after 48 minutes, but Elyaniv Barda rescued a point for ninth-placed Genk seven minutes from time.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/rukavytsya-on-target-in-belgium-293262

and

Socceroos skipper Lucas Neill has revealed he planned to quit England after this year’s World Cup for a fresh challenge even if he had not signed for Galatasaray last month.

Neill’s new club were dramatically bundled out of the Europa League losing 3-2 on aggregate to Atletico Madrid but the defender told The World Game he had no regrets about the move and was “determined” to end his 15-year spell in England.

“I’m grateful for England and everything it did for me but I’m not running away,” the 31-year-old said.

“I had been there for so long that I needed another challenge. People say, ‘Why would you leave the Premier League – it is the best in the world?’ I know it is the best in the world – I played in it for many years. But I want to play in other places before it is too late.

“This was going to be my last year in England anyway. I was determined to leave England after the World Cup. I had been there for 15 years and it was fantastic for me. I have had a great career but it was time to move on and try other styles, other leagues, other languages, other cultures. It just so happened that it happened six months before I planned it to happen.”

Ironically, Galatasaray were bundled out of the Europa League by a club that was reported to be interested in Neill late last year.

“I had been linked with Atletico Madrid in the summer and it didn’t happen,” Neill said. “I had been linked with a few other clubs as well. Sometimes, I don’t get to make the decision that I want to make and you have to sit and wait patiently. Rumours and speculation circle if you don’t get the opportunity to say yes or no [to speculation] and sometimes things are not that straight forward.

“There was no hesitation in wanting to join Galatasaray. That it was a team with Frank Rijkaard, a former Barcelona manager, and a good squad, made it even better.”

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/neill-i-was-determined-to-quit-england-293807

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
Holman Back After Injury

EUROROOS WRAP: Socceroo Brett Holman successfully made his return from an ankle injury as a late substitute for his Dutch club as AZ Alkmaar won 3-0 at Vitesse Arnhem in the Dutch Eredivisie overnight.

Holman, who hadn't seen action for AZ since early December, was an 88th minute sub after Mounir El Hamdaoui's hat-trick gave the Dutch champions the points.

In Turkey's Super Lig, James Troisi saw plenty of action for Kayserispor against champions Besiktas after coming off the bench on 22 minutes to replaced the injured Bayram Cetin in a 2-1 defeat. The result leaves Kayserispor fourth.

Elsewhere in Turkey's top flight, Michael Petkovic was missing again as Sivasspor crashed 3-0 at Bursaspor, while on Friday night Mile Jedinak put in a full shift as Antalyaspor drew 1-1 with Trabzonspor.

In Italy's Serie B, Socceroo Carl Valeri played a full game in midfield for Sassuolo as their automatic promotion hopes took a hit after a 2-0 home loss to Brescia. Sassuolo are now second, level on points with Brescia in third.

In Germany's 2.Bundesliga, Dario Vidosic was a 68th minute substitute in MSV Duisburg's 2-2 draw with Rot-Weiss Oberhausen on Friday night.

In Korea's K-League, Sasa Ognenovski played a full game for Seongnam Ilhwa as they started the new season with a 3-0 triumph over Gangwon FC.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/123492,holman-back-after-injury.aspx
King of them All!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2010, 03:48:14 AM »
Another Setback For Luckless Wes

UKROOS WRAP: Young Aussie midfielder James Wesolowski re-injured his hamstring overnight in Hamilton Academical's SPL draw at St Mirren.

Wesolowski along with Australian compatriot Trent McClenahan had started the game, but the former had to be replaced early in the second-half after another hamstring complaint.

The 22-year-old midfielder had only returned last weekend after an extended stint on the sidelines following a hamstring injury in early January.

Only earlier this week Wesolowski had told the Daily Record he was desperate to stay injury-free to enhance his faint World Cup hopes.

He said: "I've had a taste of the international scene as I was on the bench against Nigeria and in a couple of squads - that was a great experience. I know I need to work hard and stay injury-free to have any chance of getting to South Africa."

Elsewhere in the SPL, Danny Invincibile was an 86th minute substitute as Kilmarnock lost 1-0 at Motherwell. Killie are now ninth, six points from bottom spot.

In England's Championship, Adam Federici kept a clean sheet as Reading continued their recent resurgence with a big 5-0 win over struggling Sheffield Wednesday.

Elsewhere in the English second tier, Nick Carle played a full game for Crystal Palace, with a second-half effort just off target as they drew 1-1 at Doncaster, while Scott McDonald (hernia) and Rhys Williams (pelvis) were out injured with Brad Jones an unused sub as Middlesbrough beat QPR 2-0.

In League One, Aussie defensive pair Patrick Kisnorbo and Shane Lowry both put in full shifts as Leeds United drew 2-2 with local rivals Huddersfield. Dean Heffernan also played a full game for the Terriers, while Neil Kilkenny was an unused sub for the Whites.

In League Two, Oliver Bozanic played a full game for Aldershot Town as they defeated Aaron Downes' Chesterfield 1-0. Downes was absent with the news this week he'll miss the rest of the season after suffering cruciate ligament damage in his knee for the second time this year.

Elsewhere in the English fourth tier, Chris Herd played a starring role in Lincoln City's 1-1 draw with Crewe. Herd, on loan at Lincoln from Aston Villa, provided the assist for the Imps' goal and should have sealed the result later but fired in a weak shot.

Dean Bouzanis was an unused sub again as Accrington lost 2-1 at Torquay, while Shane Cansdell-Sherriff missed Shrewsbury's 1-0 victory over Scott Guyett's Bournemouth due to suspension. Guyett was also absent due to a long-term knee injury which sees him out until April.

In Scotland's Division One, Brisbane Roar-bound Erik Paartalu was a 32nd minute sub in Morton's 2-1 loss at home to Dunfermline while Young Socceroo Ryan McGowan put in a full shift as struggling Ayr United drew 3-3 at Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/123491,another-setback-for-luckless-wes.aspx
King of them All!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 10:03:36 PM »
Heff Hauled Off In Saints Romp

FRINGE Socceroo Dean Heffernan had an evening to forget overnight as he was replaced at half-time in Huddersfield's awful 5-0 mauling by Southampton in League One.

Promotion-chasing Huddersfield had been on a good unbeaten run recently but this performance wasn't near those standards as they slipped three down by the break.

Huddersfield boss Lee Clark said after the game: "I'm very sore after that, as well as very angry and embarrassed. I don't want to put my name to that performance but I am the manager, I take full responsibility and have to take it on the chin.

"I'm hurting a lot because from ten minutes into the game there was only one team that was going to win."

Heffernan had a disastrous night and Clark decided to replace him at the break with Krystian Pearce.

The former Central Coast defender failed to fully clear the danger in the lead-up to the opener, before somehow allowing Dean Hammond to worm in behind him on the wing to provide the assist for the second.

"Krystian is a centre-back, but we had too many problems in the first-half that we had to try and rectify," said Clark. "You have to be competitive and have to be men, but for at least two of their goals we weren't competitive.

"I didn't bring Dean Heffernan off because of injury, but in all honesty I could have brought any of the ten outfield players off."

Elsewhere overnight in League Two, Oliver Bozanic played a full game for Aldershot Town in a 1-0 win over Bradford City which puts them into eighth.

Finally, James Meredith put in a full shift as York City missed out on a FA Trophy semi-final spot after a 2-1 loss to Barrow.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/123681,heff-hauled-off-in-saints-romp.aspx

Kisnorbo's Up For The Fight

SOCCEROOS defender Patrick Kisnorbo has been hailed as someone you'd 'go to war' with after bouncing back from injury at promotion-chasing Leeds United.

The Australian is back in action after an achilles problem with the Yorkshire club and his return has coincided with an upward turn in results.

Leeds coach Ian Miller is delighted to see the defender back and having worked with him at previous club Leicester City, knows his qualities better than most.

"He's been outstanding. Him and Richard Naylor have formed a partnership of two proper defenders. You'd go to war with them," he told the Yorkshire Evening Post. "I worked with Paddy at Leicester and he was one of the best players there.

"It's only injury that's prevented him from playing at a higher level and he's been reliable and consistent. Every week he's been one of our better players and he's been a major signing."

Kisnorbo insists his main priority is winning promotion but he is also hoping to make the plane to South Africa with the Socceroos.

He added: "The first game back was a bit hard because I hadn't played for a few weeks but I'm feeling good and I hope that's it for me now."

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/123663,kisnorbos-up-for-the-fight.aspx
King of them All!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2010, 10:42:33 AM »
Schwarzer named Barclays Premier League Player of the Month

Fulham's Mark Schwarzer and Roy Hodgson have been named Barclays Player and Manager of the Month for February.

Hodgson's team ended the month with three wins and two draws from their five Barclays Premier League matches.

Home wins against Portsmouth, Burnley and Birmingham City coupled with draws away to Bolton Wanderers and Sunderland moved Fulham up to ninth in the Barclays Premier League.

Goalkeeper Schwarzer played a massive role in securing an unbeaten month as he let in only one goal in five matches, the goal coming in the 2-1 win over Birmingham.

This is the fourth time that Roy Hodgson has won the Barclays Manager of the Month award, and the second time this season. Schwarzer meanwhile picks up his first Barclays Player of the Month award in a career spanning over 13 seasons in the top flight.

The Australian international is the first Fulham player to receive the award since striker Louis Saha in August 2001.

On winning the award, Cottagers manager Hodgson said: "I'm absolutely delighted. I think it's a great achievement to win a Manager of the Month award twice in one season.

"I realise it's not me personally that's being rewarded - it's the team. The team has done so well. They did well in October when I received the award and now the team has done, if anything, even better in the month of February and once again I receive the award.

"I receive the award, absolutely in all modesty, not only on behalf of the team, but also the coaching staff, Mike Kelly and Ray Lewington. All three of us work closely together to prepare the Team in the best way possible and I think we should see this award as recognition of the team effort."

Meanwhile, 37-year-old Schwarzer said: "I'm still a little bit shocked to have won the award. "I think it's been a tremendous achievement from everybody at the club over the last five to six weeks.

"No one could have imagined it would have gone so well over that period of time and I think any number of players in the team could have won the award.

"I feel very honoured and I've just found out I'm the first Australian to win it. I'm glad to accept an award on behalf of the other players who have contributed towards my performances week-in, week-out.

The decision was made by the Barclays Awards Panel, which includes representatives from football's governing bodies, the media and fans.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1985668,00.html
King of them All!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2010, 09:17:41 PM »
Villa Put Four Past Federici

EUROROO WRAP: Adam Federici exited the FA Cup this morning as Aston Villa launched a devastating second half come-from-behind blitzkrieg to beat Reading 4-2.

The 25-year-old Australian shotstopper made a couple of saves in the opening half as his underdog side went ahead 2-0 in the quarter-final at Madejski Stadium.

But Villa kicked into gear in the second half and was ahead 12 minutes into the second half thanks to Ashley Young's equaliser and John Carew's brace.

Carew completed his hat-trick with a goal from the penalty spot in the final minute, despite Federici diving the right way.

In the English Premier League, Everton completed a 5-1 rout of Hull City without Tim Cahill.

But midfielder Richard Garcia made his first start since the Tigers were handed a 4-0 drubbing by Manchester United late in January.

Garcia had an early chance after a fine touch, only to have his shot blocked by Tim Howard.

Like his side, things only went from bad to worse after the break.

Already trailing 2-1, an error from goalkeeper Boaz Myhill resulted in the ball hitting Garcia and diverting into the net for an own goal.

It leaves the Tigers in the drop zone after three-straight losses.

Meanwhile, Mile Jedinak played a full game for Antalyaspor as they went down 1-0 to second-placed Fenerbahce in the Turkish Super Lig.

Antalyaspor remain in 11th on the league ladder.

In Italy's Serie A, injured Mark Bresciano missed out again as Palermo defeated Livorno 1-0 to solidify their grip on the fourth and final UEFA Champions League spot ahead of Juventus.

In Portugal's Liga Sagres, young Aussie Jason Davidson was a 65th minute substitute for Pacos Ferreira as they went down 3-1 to league leaders Benfica.

In Holland's Eredivisie, David Carney (shoulder) remains on the sidelines but would have enjoyed watching FC Twente go top after defeating 1-0 at RKC Waalwijk. Twente are 2 points clear of PSV who stumbled earlier in the weekend.

In Germany's 2.Bundesliga, Socceroo Dario Vidosic was an unused substitute for MSV Duisburg as they won 1-0 at Union Berlin to move into sixth.

Finally, in Japan's J2.League, after scoring the winning goal for Australia against Indonesia midweek, Mark Milligan was a late substitute in JEF United's 1-1 draw with Roasso Kumamoto who equalised deep into stoppage-time.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/123990,villa-put-four-past-federici.aspx
King of them All!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »
Brett Holman eyes World Cup spot

Qantas Socceroos’ Brett Holman has taken more precaution than usual in his return from injury – but it has paid off with the attacking midfielder finding the back of the net at the weekend.

Holman came on in the 87th minute but scored AZ’s fourth merely three minutes later in the 4-1 win over Heerenveen.

It’s been a lengthy road to recovery for Holman, who tore ankle ligaments in AZ’s final Champions League match against Belgians Standard Liege on December 9.

Though tempted to return to action as possible with the World Cup approaching, Holman said he exercised caution.

“I took a bit more precaution than normal. I took an extra 10 days, even two weeks instead of coming back a few weeks earlier,’’ Holman told www.footballaustralia.com.au.

“I didn’t want to risk possibly damaging it again so close to the World Cup because that’s what everyone’s striving for.

“But it’s good to be back on the scene and back with the boys because the season was going so well before the injury.’’

Indeed it was for Holman, who’s gone from an impact player last season to a regular starter this year.

He sustained the injury in AZ’s sixth and final Champions League encounter and while it was a disappointing campaign, which ultimately led to the sacking of coach Ronald Koeman, Holman was one of the shining lights.

After a slow start to the Eredivisie season, a defence of the title is out of the question but they’ve started making their run and sit eight points behind fourth place Feyenoord, which would guarantee a Europa League berth.

“We’re definitely going for Europe, we’re looking to get into the Europa League which would be a good achievement after our slow start,’’ he said.

Bankstown-born Holman’s also got an eye on South Africa 2010, after playing regularly in the qualifying campaign and missing out on the 2006 squad.

He made 19 starts and scored four goals prior to the injury, while his only two substitute appearances have come in the last fortnight, with new coach Dick Advocaat easing him back into it.

“Hopefully I can get a few more games under my belt before the end of the season and hopefully be fully fit for the Socceroos,’’ Holman said.

“The coach has been good, he hasn’t made me risk anything. I’ve started on the bench, but the goal for me is to get back in there and play regularly because before the injury I virtually started every game.

“He (Advocaat) is a friendly guy, he’s down to earth and pretty relaxed and I didn’t expect that. I expected something different, something harder.

“He’s still disciplined and sharp but you can speak to him, he’s easy to have a conversation with and seems to be doing alright with the team.’’

http://www.a-league.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=32978
King of them All!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2010, 05:13:23 PM »
Vidosic Gets Game Time

SOCCEROO WRAP: Young Socceroo Dario Vidosic was given some much-needed game time in MSV Duisburg's 3-1 loss at Hansa Rostock.

The 22-year-old midfielder came on in the 66th minute with his side down 2-0. He unleashed a shot on goal three minutes after coming on, but it was successfully parried away.

Vidosic has played 255 minutes of match day football this year. The loss puts Duisburg in fifth on the German 2.Bundesliga table, eight points from the possibility of promotion.

In Korea's K-League, strong defender Sasa Ognenovski put in a full shift as Seongnam drew 1-1 at Jeonbuk.

Ognenovski's team could have had all three points but conceded a late goal after scoring in the third minute, leaving them in second early in the season.

In France's Ligue 2, defender Ante Rozic returned to the Sedan matchday squad after injury but was an unused sub in their 0-0 home draw with Nimes.

In England's League One, midfielder Gareth Edds was an 82nd minuute substitute for Tranmere Rovers as they played out a scoreless home draw with Hartlepool.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/124846,vidosic-gets-game-time.aspx
King of them All!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »
Carle Stakes His World Cup Claim

EUROROO WRAP: World Cup hopeful Nick Carle produced a fine performance in Crystal Palace’s 2-2 draw at Blackpool.

The midfielder was back in the starting side after missing out midweek and he made an immediate impact.

Carle took advantage of his first chance and was on the scoresheet after three minutes. Just after half an hour, Carle was involved again as Palace extended their lead.

He slid the ball through to Darren Ambrose who slotted through the goalkeeper's legs to make it 2-0.

But Blackpool worked their way back into the game as Carle made way on 82 minutes with Palace dropping into the Championship relegation zone.

In the top flight, Tim Cahill was cautioned in Everton's 2-0 home win against Bolton.

He made way in the 62nd minute, with goals from Mikel Arteta and Steven Pienaar sending Everton to eighth.

Meanwhile, Richard Garcia's Hull City moved deeper into relegation with a 3-2 loss at Portsmouth.

The Australian replaced the injured Andy Dawson with 20 minutes to play and provided the assist for Caleb Forlan to make the lead 2-1.

But late goals from Jamie O'Hara and Nwankwo Kanu leaves the Tigers three points from safety.

In the Championship, it was a surprising Aussie who stood out in Middlesbrough's 1-1 draw with Reading.

Shotstopper Brad Jones produced a number of important saves with Adam Federici doing a decent job at the other end.

Striker Scott McDonald came off in the 74th minute while Rhys Williams missed the game through suspension. Boro remain 10th while Reading move to 13th.

In Italy, Mark Bresciano was absent in Palermo's 1-1 draw with Inter Milan.

In Serie B, Carl Valeri was an unused substitute in Sassuolo's 2-2 draw at Grosseto.

In Scotland's Premier League, James Wesolowski played 80 minutes and picked up a yellow card in Hamilton's 2-2 draw with Falkirk.

In Turkey's Super Lig, both Bruce Djite and Mile Jedinak were absent as Diyarbakispor defeated Antalyaspor 1-0.

It was ruled earlier in the week that Djite's team would remain in the top flight despite two games being abandoned due to crowd misbehaviour this season.

In the Eredivisie, David Carney was absent as FC Twente scored a 1-1 draw at PSV Eindhoven.

In J-League action last night, Eddy Bosnar scored the winner for Shimzu S-Pulse in a 1-0 win over Vissel Kobe.

The defender came on just after half time and got himself on the scoresheet in the 82nd minute.

In Croatia, Josip Skoko was substituted just after half time as Hajduk Split fell 2-1 at NK Lokomotiva.

In England's League One, Dean Heffernan put in a full shift as Huddersfield Town beat Leyton Orient 2-0 to move within two points of a promotion play off chance.

In League Two, Dean Bouzanis was in goals as Accrington lost 4-2 at home to Rochdale.

Aldershot's Oliver Bozanic scored his third goal of the season as they won 2-0 at home to Shrewsbury. Shane Cansdell-Sherriff missed through suspension for the away side.

Chris Herd did not play in Lincoln City's 3-2 win over Torquay and Aaron Downes was not present in Chesterfield's 2-2 draw at Burton Albion.

In Scotland's First Division, Simon Storey put in a full shift as Airdrie United beat FC Dundee 3-0.

Ryan McGowan did the same in Ayr United's 3-0 win over Queen of the South.

Meanwhile, Erik Paartalu came on in the 68th minute as Greenock Morton beat Partick Thistle 1-0.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/124897,carle-stakes-his-world-cup-claim.aspx
King of them All!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »
Carle's Side May Yet Dodge Drop

EUROROO WRAP: Nick Carle was a late substitute as Crystal Palace recorded a crucial 3-1 win over Watford in their relegation scrap.

The Australian midfielder came on in the 80th minute with Palace holding a three goal buffer over their Championship rivals.

The important win came with news there was a potential buyer on the cards after the current administration had announced money to finance the club was running out.

Striker Stern John scored his first goal for the club with a back post header after half an hour.

Irishman Sean Scannell doubled the lead just after the break, making the most of his chance after the ball rebounded after he had hit the post.

Watford goalkeeper Scott Loach could only parry a Scannell shot and midfielder Neil Danns was on hand to strike home Palace's third before Carle came on.

The Hornets had hit the woodwork on at least three occasions before substitute Danny Graham pulled one back.

Palace defender Lee Hills was sent off for a second bookable offence in the closing stages with the visitors going into celebration mode minutes later.

It leaves Palace in the relegation zone, one point away from Watford, who still have a game in hand.

In Scotland's First Division, Greenock Morton beat Ayr United 1-0 in another relegation battle.

Ayr's Ryan McGowan put in a full shift and was denied on several occasions in his bid to open the scoring.

He was denied in the 57th minute when his header was brilliantly stopped and the 64th minute when put through one-on-one.

Morton's Erik Paartalu came on in the 84th minute, five minutes after fellow substitute Steven Masterton had put his side ahead.

Ayr United are three points adrift of Greenock Morton and safety, but do have a game in hand to get out of the relegation play-off zone.

The English League Two clash between Dean Bouzanis's Accrington Stanley and Barnet was postponed less than an hour before kick off due to a waterlogged pitch.

It was a similar story in Scotland's First Division, with relegation-bound Airdrie United's clash with Queen of the South postponed for the same reason, leaving Aussies Simon Storey and Frank Lagana on the sidelines.

In Asia, midfielder Goran Subara put in a full shift as Gombak United lost 1-0 to Beijing Guoan in S-League action overnight.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/125618,carles-side-may-yet-dodge-drop.aspx
King of them All!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »
Schwarzer's Euro Dream Alive

EUROROOS WRAP: Mark Schwarzer is heading in the right direction in his search for European redemption as Fulham beat Wolfsburg 2-1 at Craven Cottage.

But the Cottagers will be disappointed to have conceded a late away goal in the Europa League quarter final first leg.

After an even first half, it was Bobby Zamora who brought the Cottage alive with the opener after 59 minutes.

Receiving from Zoltan Gera, the striker cut inside the area and slotted into the bottom corner.

Irishman Damien Duff doubled the lead four minutes later.

Following a Paul Konchesky cross from the left hand side, Zamora brought the ball down for Duff to rifle home from inside the area.

The Australian shot stopper was powerless to do anything to prevent Wolfsburg pulling a goal back in the 89th minute.

A cross came in and was met by the head of defender Alexander Madlung for the German side to get a vital away goal.

The 37-year-old was brought into action for the first time on 20 minutes but Brede Hangeland deflected Christian Gentner's shot from 20 yards to give Schwarzer an easy save.

It was a busier second half in the Fulham goal.

He was called in action to deny Grafite twice in 10 minutes but the striker could only manage to shoot straight at the Fulham 'keeper on both occasions.

Schwarzer was forced into keeping out a low shot from substitute Obafemi Martins before Madlung broke his defences a minute before the end.

In Switzerland, Scott Chipperfield continued his hot goal-scoring form in FC Basel's 4-3 win over Sion.

His goal came in the 24th minute after being on the end of a long ball to make it 2-2.

It is his fifth goal in the last seven games as Basel moved to within three points of top spot in the Swiss Super League.

Chipperfield also provided the assist for the fourth goal before coming off as a 70th minute substitute.

In Denmark's SAS-Ligaen, Brent McGrath came on in the 66th minute as Brondby came from behind to score a 2-2 draw at home to Silkeborg.

Meanwhile, Nathan Coe took no part as Randers FC won the battle between the relegation strugglers 2-1 at HB Koge.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/125760,schwarzers-euro-dream-alive.aspx
King of them All!

dave_saves

• Premiers & Champions 10/11, 13/14; Champions 11/12
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2010, 05:41:06 PM »
In Denmark's [She who shalt not be named]-Ligaen, Brent McGrath came on in the 66th minute as Brondby came from behind to score a 2-2 draw at home to Silkeborg.

LMAO!!  Roar Fan's filter discriminates against the Danish league  :P
Most Recent: Brisbane 2 (Maclaren 19', 37') lost to Ulsan Hyundai 3
Roar history (vs FFA Cup/HAL/ACL teams) P: 393 W: 169 D: 98 L: 126 GF: 596 GA: 484
Best: 7-1 Vs. AU (28/10/11), 6-0 Vs Global FC (31/1/17)
Worst: 0-6 Ulsan Hyundai (28/2/17)

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2010, 06:33:35 AM »
In Denmark's [She who shalt not be named]-Ligaen, Brent McGrath came on in the 66th minute as Brondby came from behind to score a 2-2 draw at home to Silkeborg.

I'm devastated! :'( :'(
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

dave_saves

• Premiers & Champions 10/11, 13/14; Champions 11/12
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2010, 10:55:25 AM »

I'm devastated! :'( :'(

Be devestated no more.  Roar Fan gave you the Mod powers to fix your anti-Danish anguish. Go forth and be un-devestated!
Most Recent: Brisbane 2 (Maclaren 19', 37') lost to Ulsan Hyundai 3
Roar history (vs FFA Cup/HAL/ACL teams) P: 393 W: 169 D: 98 L: 126 GF: 596 GA: 484
Best: 7-1 Vs. AU (28/10/11), 6-0 Vs Global FC (31/1/17)
Worst: 0-6 Ulsan Hyundai (28/2/17)

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 02:25:38 PM »
Macca Back With A Bang

AUSSIES ABROAD: Scott McDonald overcame a hamstring problem to score for Middlesbrough in their 1-1 draw with Nick Carle's Crystal Palace in the Championship.

McDonald netted on 15 minutes after Gary O'Neil teed him up, with the Australian scrambling the ball in despite Palace's appeals for offside.

The Eagles equalised just before the half-time but the Socceroo had chances to win it for Boro looping a header over and seeing a 12-yard strike well saved in the second stanza.

Carle started and played 72 minutes for the Eagles, while Brad Jones and McDonald put in full shifts for Boro, with Rhys Williams also starting before being replaced on 78 minutes.

In the English Premier League, Vince Grella was a 64th minute substitute for Blackburn as they drew 0-0 at Portsmouth. Brett Emerton was an unused sub.

Elsewhere, Richard Garcia started and played 74 minutes in Hull City's 2-0 loss at Stoke City.

In the Italian Serie A, Mark Bresciano remained out of the Palermo as they lost 2-0 to Sicilian rivals Catania. The result puts pressure on Palermo's grip on fourth spot.

In the Dutch Eredivisie, Brett Holman was a 90th minute sub for AZ Alkmaar as they won 2-0 against FC Utrecht, the new home to Tommy Oar, Adam Sarota and Michael Zullo. James Holland wasn't involved for AZ.

Elsewhere in the Netherlands, Socceroo David Carney wasn't involved as leaders FC Twente won 2-0 at VVV Venlo.

In the Portuguese Liga Sagres young Aussie defender, Jason Davidson was an unused substitute for Pacos Ferreira as they drew 0-0 at home with Belenenses.

In the Turkish Super Lig, Mile Jedinak put in a full shift, picking up a booking, as Antalyaspor lost 2-1 at leaders Bursaspor.

In the German 2.Bundesliga, Socceroos midfielder Dario Vidosic was an unused substitute for MSV Duisburg as they defeated Rot-Weiss Ahlen 1-0.

In the German 3rd Liga, ex-Adelaide United defender Milan Susak played a full game as battling SpVgg Unterhaching got a much-needed 2-0 win over Jahn Regensburg.

In the Romanian Liga I, Spase Dilevski put in a full 90 minutes for Universitatea Craiova, who lost again 2-1 to FC Timisoara.Elsewhere, Tomislav Arcaba's International Curtea sunk closer to relegation after a 2-1 home loss to Rapid. Arcaba did not play.

In the Scottish Premier League, James Wesolowski was suspended while Trent McClenahan was an unused sub as Hamilton Accies lost 1-0 at Rangers.

Over to the UK's lower divisions, in the English Championship, Adam Federici was in goals for Reading as they lost 2-1 at Ipswich Town.

In the English League One, Shane Lowry and Neil Kilkenny both played full games as Leeds United's automatic promotion hopes took another hit after a 3-0 home loss to Swindon Town.

Meanwhile, Dean Heffernan's Huddersfield Town continue to push for a playoffs berth after a 2-1 win at Wycombe. Heffernan put in a full shift in the victory.

In the English League Two, Dean Bouzanis was on the bench as Accrington Stanley lost 3-1 at Dagenham & Redbridge.

Elsewhere, Aston Villa's Chris Herd played a full game for Lincoln City as they lost 1-0 at Cheltenham, while Oliver Bozanic was a 72nd minute sub as Aldershot drew 1-1 at Macclesfield and Shane Cansdell-Sherriff put in a full shift as Shrewsbury lost 2-1 at Torquay.

In the Scottish First Division, Simon Storey played a full game as Airdrie United got an important three points against his old club Partick Thistle with a 2-0 win.

Elsewhere, young Aussie pair Ryan McGowan and Rocky Visconte both started for Ayr United as they lost 3-0 at Dundee. Visconte was replaced at the break, while McGowan put in a full shift.

In the Setanta Sports Cup, goalkeeper Chris O'Connor's bid for the number one shirt at Bohemians was boosted by a good performance in a 2-1 win over Linfield in the first-leg of their semi-final.

Over to Asia, in the Japanese J.League, Eddy Bosnar put in a full shift as Shimizu S-Pulse went top with a 2-1 victory at Yokohama F. Marinos.

Elsewhere in the J.League, Joshua Kennedy played a full game up front for Nagoya Grampus as they cruised past Vissel Kobe 2-0, while Matthew Spiranovic was an unused sub in Urawa Reds' 2-1 win over Shonan Bellmare.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/125850,macca-back-with-a-bang.aspx
King of them All!

ausderek44

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
glad to see the lads getting game time, and not glad for those that arnt. cannot wait for the WORLD CUP!
Brisbane Roar (back2back) 2011/12, Man United 1999. Late, late drama!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 09:26:54 PM »
Cahill Assists In Toffees Draw

AUSSIES ABROAD: Socceroo Tim Cahill provided the assist for the opener in Everton's 2-2 draw with West Ham United in the English Premier League overnight.

Cahill, who played a full game for the Toffees, nodded the ball to Diniyar Bilyaletdinov who glanced Everton ahead on 24 minutes.

The Australian then almost doubled their lead after a driving run but he pulled his shot wide of the target.

West Ham's Mido wasted a first-half penalty, before Manuel Da Costa levelled on the hour mark, only for Yakubu Aiyegbeni to grab what looked like a late winner for the Toffees.

Instead, the Hammers found a response when Araujo Ilan scored from a Julien Faubert cross with three minutes of normal time to go.

Elsewhere in the Premiership overnight, Mark Schwarzer put in a full shift for Fulham who come frmo behind to defeat Wigan 2-1.

Earlier Paul Scharner had a chip cleared off the line after Schwarzer fumbled the ball kindly to the Austrian, but the Aussie made up for the error on 31 minutes when he saved Maynor Figueroa's ambitious effort.

Nevertheless, Wigan went ahead on 34 minutes courtesy of Jason Scotland's low drive, but Fulham fought back with two second-half goals winning it.

In Russia's Premier League, Socceroo Luke Wilkshire started and played 84 minutes as Dinamo Moscow lost to city rivals Lokomotiv 3-2.

In Turkey's Super Lig, James Troisi played a full game in midfield for Kayserispor as they lost 2-0 at Fenerbahce. Troisi forced Fener keeper Volkan Demirel to turn a late long-range effort past the post.

Elsewhere in Turkey, Bruce Djite was an 84th minute substitute for Diyarbakirspor as they lost 3-1 at home to Gaziantepspor.

In Denmark's Superliga, young Aussie striker Brent McGrath was an 85th minute sub for Brondby as they won 2-1 at bottom-club HB Koge.

In Scotland's Premier League, Danny Invincibile started for Kilmarnock but was replaced before the break as they scored an important 2-0 win over Aberdeen. Invincibile had wasted a close-range header in the first-half.

In China's Super League, Ryan Griffiths scored with a powerful header as Beijing Guoan lost 2-1 at home to Shenzhen Ruby.

Griffiths had been wasteful when he fired over the top in the first-half, but his 54th minute strike made amends.

Ryan played the full game for Guoan, while brother Joel Griffiths was a 46th minute substitute.

Joel did have his own chances to win it for Beijing, forcing a save out of Shenzhen keeper Cheng Yuelei with a looping header, before heading straight at the stopper late on.

Elsewhere in the CSL, World Cup hopeful Chris Coyne came off the bench at half-time as Liaoning Whowin defeated Jonas Salley's Shaanxi Chanba 2-1.

In Korea's K-League, Sasa Ognenovski's Seongnam Ilhwa drew 1-1 at Jeju United.

In Japan's J2.League, Mark Milligan played a full game as JEF United Chiba thrashed Giravanz Kitakyushu 3-0.

In USA's MLS, Danny Allsopp was an unused substitute as DC United lost 2-0 at home to New England Revolution.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/125887,cahill-assists-in-toffees-draw.aspx
King of them All!

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2010, 05:06:24 PM »
Cup Final Date For Chipperfield

EUROROOS WRAP: SOCCEROOS veteran Scott Chipperfield’s FC Basel is into the Swiss Cup final after a 1-0 win at Kriens.

The 34-year-old Australian did not play in the cup game but a single goal was enough against the Challenge League side.

FC Basel is a nine-time winner of the competition and will meet just as successful a club, Lausanne Sports, next month.

In England, Middlesbrough recorded a vital 2-0 win at Plymouth in the Championship.

Keeper Brad Jones saved a spot-kick while fellow Aussie Rhys Williams picked up a booking in his 90-minute performance.

Striker Scott McDonald came on after 64 minutes to provide the assist for Jonathan Franks to score the sealing goal. Boro are now eighth, six points off sixth-placed Leicester City.

In other Championship action, Adam Federici had little to do but kept a clean sheet as Reading handed Coventry City a 3-0 thrashing.

Crystal Palace stayed out of the drop zone with a 3-1 win over Preston North End as Nick Carle came on in the 86th minute.

In Turkey's Super Lig, Lucas Neill put in a full shift and picked up a booking in Galatasaray's 1-1 draw at Sivasspor. The visitors conceded a late goal to put a huge dint in their title ambitions.

Harry Kewell remained on the sidelines while Michael Petkovic took no part for Sivasspor.

In Norway, Jade North was an unused substitute as Tromso moved into second with a 1-0 win at Stabaek.

To England's lower leagues, Leeds United recorded a much-needed 2-1 win at Yeovil Town.

Midfielder Neil Kilkenny was a solid contributor, providing the corner for captain Richard Naylor to head home his second.

He was substituted after 89 minutes, while Shane Lowry remained on the bench.

Meanwhile, Tranmere Rovers remain in the relegation zone after going down 3-0 at Swindon Town.

Gareth Edds could not capitalize on a couple of opportunities as the Rovers were outplayed.

In League Two, Aldershot's promotion hopes remain alive as Oliver Bozanic played 69 minutes in the 3-0 win over Rotherham United.

Keeper Dean Bouzanis was in goals as Accrington lost 3-2 at home to Grimsby Town.

Young midfielder Chris Herd put in a full shift as Lincoln City lost 3-1 to Morecambe.

And Shane Cansdell-Sherriff did the same in Shrewsbury Town's 1-0 loss to Notts County.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/125955,cup-final-date-for-chipperfield.aspx
King of them All!

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 203629
  • Total Topics: 7968
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)