Author Topic: Brisbane in danger of losing WC Qualifier to Canberra  (Read 6107 times)

FireBlades19

• The Best is yet to come.....
Brisbane in danger of losing WC Qualifier to Canberra
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:49:29 PM »
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/brisbane-in-danger-of-losing-socceroos-world-cup-qualifier-to-canberra/news-story/364f261f6fac2f6b5f94154074f9fde7

CANBERRA threatens to grab a Socceroos? World Cup qualifier ahead of Brisbane unless the Queensland government comes to the party in the intense bidding war.

Australia will play home games against Japan, Iraq, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Thailand in the third round of AFC qualifying for Russia 2018.

The Courier-Mail has learnt that Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth are in the box seat to each host one of the five games.

That leaves one remaining game up for grabs, with Canberra making a bold bid for hosting rights ahead of Brisbane.

Football Federation Australia is still waiting for the Queensland government, via Tourism and Events Queensland, to bid for a qualifier.

The last time a World Cup qualifier was held in Brisbane was on June 12, 2012 when the Socceroos drew 1-1 with Japan in front a crowd of 40,189 at Suncorp Stadium.

The same venue also hosted two Socceroos? games at last year?s Asian Cup, attracting an aggregate attendance of 94,580.

The Australia-Japan clash on October 11 is the most appealing and the most expensive of the upcoming qualifiers, with bids expected to reach $2 million.

It is understood that game will be played in Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide, with the respective state governments eagerly bidding for hosting rights.

?A decision is imminent and will be based on several factors, not least the undertakings in relation to pitch conditions, logistics and marketing,? and FFA statement said.

An announcement on which city will host the Australia-Iraq qualifier on September 1 will also be made soon. It is almost certain that game will not be played at Suncorp Stadium.

The Socceroos? remaining three home qualifiers will be played next year on March 28 (v UAE), June 8 (v Saudi Arabia) and September 5 (v Thailand).

If TEQ does make a successful bid, Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou will demand a better Suncorp Stadium playing surface than what was presented during last year?s Asian Cup.

TEQ corporate affairs general manager Megan Saunders repeated her stance that Brisbane deserved to host a qualifier and that she expected FFA to allow Queensland fans the chance to wish the Socceroos well before the World Cup.

TenaciousAC

• B to the Rizzo, F to the Cisse
Re: Brisbane in danger of losing WC Qualifier to Canberra
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:02:50 PM »
It'll be a sad day if Canberra does, literally, outbid Brisbane for a WCQ.

The idea that the same 5 cities that hosted games last round..... and could then do it again...... not cool FFA and Qld State Government. Not cool.

Unless... the goal is to get the Thailand match. It's the last one on the calendar. And could be a boom either way. If we need to win to qualify, could get a full house for a game that might otherwise get a shit attendance. If we HAVE qualified, it would be a nice final game of the WCQ cycle.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »
Must get 1 game in Brisbane. No games up here would be a travesty.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

BrynFC

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »
The FFA not giving Brisbane a game would be embrassing for them..

We have shown them time after time that if there is a Socceroos game in town, that the Brisbane turns up to watch the match.

We get good crowds, we have the best "FootBall" Stadium (Lang Park) in Australia for these types of games... I've watched the roo's play in Sydney and in Melbourne...

Nothing beats watching the game live in a rectangular stadium, and if its full,  even better...

coast

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 04:58:57 PM »
Honestly?  They are seriously considering Canberra over Brisbane?  FFS.

BrynFC

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 05:44:21 PM »
Honestly?  They are seriously considering Canberra over Brisbane?  FFS.

It makes you wonder about FFA sometimes...

I'm sure if you were in Canberra this would be great...But If they follow the Socceroos, it's a quick trip to Sydney to watch the game, and there are always seat available in Sydney games.

I'd be looking to get out of the ACT every week if i lived there....

Trying to provide a niche game in the ACT at the expense of a Proven Socceroo crowd and Supporter Base in Brisbane is not right..

Murk

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
As the reference to Ange in the OP suggests, a problem may be the the damage caused by overuse of Suncorp's pitch by the rugby codes.

FireBlades19

• The Best is yet to come.....
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 01:40:44 PM »
As the reference to Ange in the OP suggests, a problem may be the the damage caused by overuse of Suncorp's pitch by the rugby codes.

cant blame him, that pitch is way overused....

TenaciousAC

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 04:40:59 PM »

If that's the case, then this is unlikely to apply to the League/Union matches held around the WCQ windows in September-November, since there won't BE (or if there are, NRL Finals and that's about it) any of those dates (though you could see AEG Ogden springing another "November Stadium Concert Series" and fucking that shit right up).

So that gives us home matches against Iraq and Japan..... except Brisbane won't get Japan.

Go to 2017.

March against UAE, June against Saudi Arabia. Deep into League/Union season for a bunch of stadia he might've wanted to play at (AAMI Park, Allianz, Suncorp and nib to a lesser extent).

And given the Thailand finale is right on the cusp of NRL Finals, (on a Tuesday night after either the final Regular Season Round or after the 1st week of the Finals), I could see why they'd probably hope for ANZ Stadium for that one.

So I think we're looking at Iraq (September 2016) or UAE games (March 2017) atm for Brisbane.

medley

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 05:10:33 PM »
A mate at Suncorp has told me that the field bookings are already chockers and that the Roar will be lucky to fit in all of their home games next season. I'm guessing there may be a couple of "taking the A league to the regions" matches thrown in.
Anyone know when next seasons draw will happen? They cant book the venue without knowing the dates!!

coast

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 09:38:45 PM »
We need a our own stadium so fucking badly.

Year after year the Suncorp management fucks us over.  I hate the bastards in a quite demeaning and irrational way.  Greedy, fucking duplicitous sons of bitches.

gooseman22

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 05:44:49 AM »
How do they fill up bookings , without the primary summer tenant? That just sound ridiculous! If this is the case, it certainly appears that they have no concept of loyalty.

goalfeast

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
A mate at Suncorp has told me that the field bookings are already chockers and that the Roar will be lucky to fit in all of their home games next season. I'm guessing there may be a couple of "taking the A league to the regions" matches thrown in.
Anyone know when next seasons draw will happen? They cant book the venue without knowing the dates!!

I'm calling BS on your mate.  Who else will book out Suncorp during the summer months.  Beach Volleyball premier league??

medley

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 09:24:42 AM »

I'm calling BS on your mate.  Who else will book out Suncorp during the summer months.  Beach Volleyball premier league??

Time will tell

goalfeast

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 09:34:06 AM »

Time will tell

I hope it tells a good story.

BrynFC

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 12:34:16 PM »
We need a our own stadium so fucking badly.

Year after year the Suncorp management fucks us over.  I hate the bastards in a quite demeaning and irrational way.  Greedy, fucking duplicitous sons of bitches.

I agree,

Suncorp is a great stadium to watch football. "But" the food is crap and pricey, the field is overused, still better than Adelaide Oval. "Until the Bronco's and the Reds play back to back on wet nights"

We really do need a smaller stadium for the Roar, premium surface for Football, but i just can't seeing it happening in the next 5 years...

Still think Perry Park is the best spot, once they tear down down the New YMCA.. close to Train and Bus...

A little 23K stadium would provide brilliant atmosphere, a almost full to full stadium helps achieve that.

That would be the dream...

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
I wonder if the Roma St Railway Yard development could be "amended" to include a 25k stadium instead of the "17k Arena" announced in the bid..

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/editorial-brisbane-on-track-with-grand-vision-for-roma-st-railyard/news-story/bd73b0cf1ad3d803e8fd88cd06afb795
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

BrynFC

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »
I wonder if the Roma St Railway Yard development could be "amended" to include a 25k stadium instead of the "17k Arena" announced in the bid..

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/editorial-brisbane-on-track-with-grand-vision-for-roma-st-railyard/news-story/bd73b0cf1ad3d803e8fd88cd06afb795

Anything is possible, but the idea of the Arena is to replace the Brisbane Entertainment Centre and bring it back into the inner city fold.. This would be used for Concerts, Netball, BasketBall, well heaps of different events...

The area were the Arena is proposed  isn't really large enough to fit in a football pitch as well as seating, but on the bright side, promoters would use this over Suncorp stadium, which would reduce wear on the pitch.

I'm all for the Arena, great location for it, sitting next to a major public transport hub, is were these developments should be.

I live at Roma St Parklands, and it would be great to see Downtown Brisbane area refreshed, the Railyard covered and more public green space, and a new public walkway to Suncorp from the Roma St Station is wayover due..

I'd welcome the Arena here at Roma St,  than over the Old Parmalat Milk factory area as the public transport is already there.

Still its just a concept... I've been a so many meeting about the crossover rail, none of the concepts never got fair due to new governments, so it's fair to say it's just a pipe dream...

EDIT:: The link below is from the  Brisbane Development site, it looks at all the high density development in Brisbane, it's worth reading, it's got the most detailed info out there for the public at the moment..

https://brisbanedevelopment.com/unveiled-new-2-billion-brisbane-live-entertainment-arena-precinct/

http://www.lensaloft.com.au/Interactive_tour/RomaStreet/RomaStreetdata/graphics/BrisbaneLive_Masterplan.pdf
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:20:31 PM by BrynFC »

TenaciousAC

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »

Anything is possible, but the idea of the Arena is to replace the Brisbane Entertainment Centre and bring it back into the inner city fold..

This.

In fact, going sideways for the moment..... if a new Ent Cent eventuates, it'd be interesting to see what they could do with the 'old' Ent Cent site. You could have one hell of a housing development and still tie it in with the wetlands, highway (currently being upgraded) and having Boondall & North Boondall Stations right there.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:17:03 PM by TenaciousAC »

Septic Bladder

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »

Anything is possible, but the idea of the Arena is to replace the Brisbane Entertainment Centre and bring it back into the inner city fold.. This would be used for Concerts, Netball, BasketBall, well heaps of different events...

The area were the Arena is proposed  isn't really large enough to fit in a football pitch as well as seating, but on the bright side, promoters would use this over Suncorp stadium, which would reduce wear on the pitch.

I'm all for the Arena, great location for it, sitting next to a major public transport hub, is were these developments should be.

I live at Roma St Parklands, and it would be great to see Downtown Brisbane area refreshed, the Railyard covered and more public green space, and a new public walkway to Suncorp from the Roma St Station is wayover due..

I'd welcome the Arena here at Roma St,  than over the Old Parmalat Milk factory area as the public transport is already there.

Still its just a concept... I've been a so many meeting about the crossover rail, none of the concepts never got fair due to new governments, so it's fair to say it's just a pipe dream...

EDIT:: The link below is from the  Brisbane Development site, it looks at all the high density development in Brisbane, it's worth reading, it's got the most detailed info out there for the public at the moment..

https://brisbanedevelopment.com/unveiled-new-2-billion-brisbane-live-entertainment-arena-precinct/

http://www.lensaloft.com.au/Interactive_tour/RomaStreet/RomaStreetdata/graphics/BrisbaneLive_Masterplan.pdf

Sounds good as long a it is fully privately funded and pay for the airspace rights.

The railway yards at Mayne would be the spot for mini stadium.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2048
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 204766
  • Total Topics: 8012
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2