Author Topic: Brisbane in danger of losing WC Qualifier to Canberra  (Read 6069 times)

BrynFC

Re: Brisbane in danger of losing WC Qualifier to Canberra
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 03:27:27 PM »
I wonder if the Roma St Railway Yard development could be "amended" to include a 25k stadium instead of the "17k Arena" announced in the bid..

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/editorial-brisbane-on-track-with-grand-vision-for-roma-st-railyard/news-story/bd73b0cf1ad3d803e8fd88cd06afb795

Anything is possible, but the idea of the Arena is to replace the Brisbane Entertainment Centre and bring it back into the inner city fold.. This would be used for Concerts, Netball, BasketBall, well heaps of different events...

The area were the Arena is proposed  isn't really large enough to fit in a football pitch as well as seating, but on the bright side, promoters would use this over Suncorp stadium, which would reduce wear on the pitch.

I'm all for the Arena, great location for it, sitting next to a major public transport hub, is were these developments should be.

I live at Roma St Parklands, and it would be great to see Downtown Brisbane area refreshed, the Railyard covered and more public green space, and a new public walkway to Suncorp from the Roma St Station is wayover due..

I'd welcome the Arena here at Roma St,  than over the Old Parmalat Milk factory area as the public transport is already there.

Still its just a concept... I've been a so many meeting about the crossover rail, none of the concepts never got fair due to new governments, so it's fair to say it's just a pipe dream...

EDIT:: The link below is from the  Brisbane Development site, it looks at all the high density development in Brisbane, it's worth reading, it's got the most detailed info out there for the public at the moment..

https://brisbanedevelopment.com/unveiled-new-2-billion-brisbane-live-entertainment-arena-precinct/

http://www.lensaloft.com.au/Interactive_tour/RomaStreet/RomaStreetdata/graphics/BrisbaneLive_Masterplan.pdf

Sounds good as long a it is fully privately funded and pay for the airspace rights.

The railway yards at Mayne would be the spot for mini stadium.

I though it need government support but from further reading, i came across this:

The best thing about Brisbane Live is that it is a market-led proposal, which means it has been proposed by the private sector and driven by the private sector, not government.

It is a proposal that any state government around the world would be tripping over themselves to attract to their city. No matter who is in power, this proposal is highly likely to see the light of day.

I'm all for Private sector going ahead with this. it would be in the best interest of the government help make it happen..

As for a smaller 20-25k stadium at Mayne Rail yards, if they make an Mayne Transport hub, for buses and trains I'm all for it...

Public Facilities like stadium's, in my opinion need easy public transport options right at the front gate, so people are more inclined to use public transport..

BrynFC

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 03:39:53 PM »
I wonder if the Roma St Railway Yard development could be "amended" to include a 25k stadium instead of the "17k Arena" announced in the bid..

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/editorial-brisbane-on-track-with-grand-vision-for-roma-st-railyard/news-story/bd73b0cf1ad3d803e8fd88cd06afb795

Anything is possible, but the idea of the Arena is to replace the Brisbane Entertainment Centre and bring it back into the inner city fold..

This.

In fact, going sideways for the moment..... if a new Ent Cent eventuates, it'd be interesting to see what they could do with the 'old' Ent Cent site. You could have one hell of a housing development and still tie it in with the wetlands, highway (currently being upgraded) and having Boondall & North Boondall Stations right there.

defiantly getting side tracked here.

I read a few article a few months ago and AEG-Ogden, wanted to keep the BEC as well, they wanted both as they said there was enough demand for both... I'm assuming it would be monster trucks and other stuff, and the CBD got the highlight acts.

But it would make a great medium density housing hub.. great highway access and public transport options.

It's in a great area for medium density and i feel it's just a little small for single dwelling housing..and its a wasted opportunity to use this sized panel of land on single dwelling development.

The only issue with medium density that far out is that people aren't ready for medium density that far out.. but that may change in 10 years or so.

goalfeast

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »
I read today that this project at Roma St is out there because of a new govt initiative to allow the private sector propose ideas to regenerate parts of the state.

Doesn't mean the govt will go through with the proposal.

I saw a comment from Bryn who thought it was a good idea and hoped that concerts would be taken away from suncorp. Hmm no i don't think that will happen. The reason they are at Suncorp is not because of the sound system. It's because of the size of the crowd they attract. That ain't going to happen here.

Great idea and concept though. These kind of projects are good for tourism etc.

Whether the govt does it is another thing.

coast

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
A mate at Suncorp has told me that the field bookings are already chockers and that the Roar will be lucky to fit in all of their home games next season. I'm guessing there may be a couple of "taking the A league to the regions" matches thrown in.
Anyone know when next seasons draw will happen? They cant book the venue without knowing the dates!!

I'm calling BS on your mate.  Who else will book out Suncorp during the summer months.  Beach Volleyball premier league??

Time will tell

I hope it tells a good story.

If he's right, I expect Gold Coast to pick up some games.

FireBlades19

• The Best is yet to come.....
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
A mate at Suncorp has told me that the field bookings are already chockers and that the Roar will be lucky to fit in all of their home games next season. I'm guessing there may be a couple of "taking the A league to the regions" matches thrown in.
Anyone know when next seasons draw will happen? They cant book the venue without knowing the dates!!

I'm calling BS on your mate.  Who else will book out Suncorp during the summer months.  Beach Volleyball premier league??

Time will tell

I hope it tells a good story.

If he's right, I expect Gold Coast to pick up some games.

I dont think the FFA will touch the Gold Coast with a 100 Mile pole unless they absolutely have to..... CBus stadium sticks out like a sore thumb, horrible to get to from the gold coast itself and there are no fans..... id rather see QSAC....

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
I don't think a game on the Gold Coast is out of the question. Not ideal of course because we want all games in Brissie.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

BrynFC

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 01:22:02 PM »
Can't see any Games at Cbus stadium... but i don't have a Crystal Ball, so who knows

The Roar would have rights to hold games at Suncorp as part of their contract, if there was a conflict, just get FFA to agree with Fox to move it to Monday.

hopefully this new guy on the advisory board is looking at getting a deal done with the gov for a new 25K stadium... i gotta stop daydreaming...

TenaciousAC

• B to the Rizzo, F to the Cisse
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 02:18:35 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it.... maybe a game on the GC DOES make sense.

If you have a game against a lower-ranked opponent, holding it up in Brisbane in isolation won't make it pop. You're either getting 15k in a compact CBus or 25k in a cavernous Suncorp.

Also, for interstate fans, the allure of the GC could be attractive especially with nice warm weather.

So what we'd lose with Brisbane-regions fans, you might get back with interstate fans. Also, it's quite possible the FFA could make as much $$$ by getting 15k to CBus as they would getting 25k to Suncorp.........

Don't get me wrong, it's incredibly dumb, but the FFA's only concern is $$$ atm.

Finsta

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 02:55:52 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it.... maybe a game on the GC DOES make sense.

If you have a game against a lower-ranked opponent, holding it up in Brisbane in isolation won't make it pop. You're either getting 15k in a compact CBus or 25k in a cavernous Suncorp.

Also, for interstate fans, the allure of the GC could be attractive especially with nice warm weather.

So what we'd lose with Brisbane-regions fans, you might get back with interstate fans. Also, it's quite possible the FFA could make as much $$$ by getting 15k to CBus as they would getting 25k to Suncorp.........

Don't get me wrong, it's incredibly dumb, but the FFA's only concern is $$$ atm.
No doubt the club could also save a bit of coin on having one less game at Suncorp. Hell CBus may even pay for the privilege of hosting the game.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

Finsta

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »
I thought I had read an article before about a game on the GC next season. Catch being that it's the Mariners pushing for a home game on the GC against us.

\http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/12/14/mariners-consider-home-match-gold-coast

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

FireBlades19

• The Best is yet to come.....
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 03:09:28 PM »
I thought I had read an article before about a game on the GC next season. Catch being that it's the Mariners pushing for a home game on the GC against us.

\http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/12/14/mariners-consider-home-match-gold-coast

Ive been itching for an away game...... although id have thought it would have been the jets or bling FC, unless its because the FFA are banking on us coming down in droves because gosfords not drawing people....

Finsta

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »
I don't believe it's really the FFA's call to move games or make money on them.. I'd say it'd be the Mariners believing they can make a few bucks on moving games away from Gosford.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

goalfeast

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »
I think all this talk of the Roar not being able to play all home games at Suncorp because of other commitments is all premature.  if the Roar can't book games yet because they don't know the draw for next season, then who can.

How many other events are planned.  The NRL and Rugby seasons wouldn't be able to book just yet as next seasons draw is still just a thought.  I still think that the forums members mate has no clue just yet, or at least has looked at the wrong year.

medley

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 04:59:08 PM »
Lets hope he doesn't have a clue, but being involved with field scheduling I'd wager he does.
Next time I see him I'll quiz him for more detail but for now I guess its just a rumour.

goalfeast

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 05:56:32 PM »
I apologise if I sound harsh towards your mate medley, but it really makes no sense that the Stadium has so many bookings when the only thing we have to worry about at this stage are the summer concerts, but unless there are Monster trucks or moto crosss booked in, what else are we competing against.

Finsta

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »
Tuesday 6th December - Coldplay Concert

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

TenaciousAC

• B to the Rizzo, F to the Cisse
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 02:51:42 PM »

Possibly lose a World Cup Qualifier...... definitely gain a Coldplay concert.

Proof positive that God doesn't exist. :P

miron mercedes

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 02:58:59 PM »

Possibly lose a World Cup Qualifier...... definitely gain a Coldplay concert.

Proof positive that God doesn't exist. :P

The accoustics at Suncorp are awful..why anyone would stump up the huge dollars required to listen to anyone there is beyond me ?
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

goalfeast

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
I've been there a few times and the sound is OK to me. In saying that I've been up close to the stage so that might be better than being in thy noise bleed section.

Finsta

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 05:44:51 PM »
I've been there a few times and the sound is OK to me. In saying that I've been up close to the stage so that might be better than being in thy noise bleed section.
I was in nosebleeds for Coldplay last time they played at Suncorp and the sound was fine IMO.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2048
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 204731
  • Total Topics: 8009