Author Topic: Massimo Maccarone  (Read 2468 times)

Darksigno

Re: Massimo Maccarone
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »
I'm positive that I'll never watch another team and think how lucky I am not to be watching the Roar instead. I honestly can't think which teams played a more entertaining style and won games to boot.
Last season we saw the introduction of two brilliant imports, arguably the best newbie imports last season. We saw some excellent youth come through and managed to retain the one that appears to have a bright future. We had the equal golden boot, had some brilliant showings from players some had written off the season before, and manage to come 3rd behind dominant and very boring Sydney and Melbourne.
Early on in the season we had two shocking games, but recovered well and ended up losing fewer games than everyone except Sydney and Wanderers.

We were the team to end Sydney's winning streak. We didn't do the triple or win the AFC Champions League and Club World Cup, so I'm not completely happy, but put yourself in the position of a City fan, Wello fan, or Gosford fan. They're teams that really have something to whinge about.

Bloody spot on

Besty

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 09:29:49 AM »
I'm positive that I'll never watch another team and think how lucky I am not to be watching the Roar instead. I honestly can't think which teams played a more entertaining style and won games to boot.
Last season we saw the introduction of two brilliant imports, arguably the best newbie imports last season. We saw some excellent youth come through and managed to retain the one that appears to have a bright future. We had the equal golden boot, had some brilliant showings from players some had written off the season before, and manage to come 3rd behind dominant and very boring Sydney and Melbourne.
Early on in the season we had two shocking games, but recovered well and ended up losing fewer games than everyone except Sydney and Wanderers.

We were the team to end Sydney's winning streak. We didn't do the triple or win the AFC Champions League and Club World Cup, so I'm not completely happy, but put yourself in the position of a City fan, Wello fan, or Gosford fan. They're teams that really have something to whinge about.

Bloody spot on
Seconded. Off season is usually a bad time for the forum, but there's so much negativity lately. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much Caletti develops this season. Surely he's done enough to demand a starting spot. Might need a change of formation to fit him in, though I did hear a suggestion that we played a back 3 against the Lions. Will definitely be at AJ Kelly next weekend to see how they're looking

coast

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 08:20:43 PM »

Bloody spot on
Seconded. Off season is usually a bad time for the forum, but there's so much negativity lately. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much Caletti develops this season. Surely he's done enough to demand a starting spot. Might need a change of formation to fit him in, though I did hear a suggestion that we played a back 3 against the Lions. Will definitely be at AJ Kelly next weekend to see how they're looking

If you guys have seen my stats on the average age of the expected starting 11 in Feb, mid season, you would know where I and others are coming from. Average age 33.7. 

No team that old goes anywhere.  And if JA isn't planning on playing these footballing pensioners, why is he signing them?

And I'm really putting a target on my back now, but I think Caletti is wildly overrated.  He's 5 cms shorter than Messi and has no sprint.

And yeah, I'm sounding like a stuck record, and good on you guys for staying positive. I mean that.  For now I'm going to vanish into the ether until we actually start the season and we see what Aloisi 1 and 2, and Moore and Tiatto produce (and just why that lineup of names doesn't fill me with joy escapes me, given that it contains 2 guys that Ange specifically booted from the club because of their adverse influence. It's a mystery.)

Adios for the time being, hombres.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:23:17 PM by coast »

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 08:22:23 PM »
You didn't answer my question about which teams you preferred watching.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

coast

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »

In terms of squads, and the kind , we're well behind Sydney FC, Wanderers, and Victory, and I have a feeling that some big signings are coming to Melb City.  I think all these teams, and possibly Mariners, will play more interesting football than we will simply because they aren't stacked with football geriatrics.

Last comment until reality bites in October.

Chico Raul

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »

In terms of squads, and the kind , we're well behind Sydney FC, Wanderers, and Victory, and I have a feeling that some big signings are coming to Melb City.  I think all these teams, and possibly Mariners, will play more interesting football than we will simply because they aren't stacked with football geriatrics.

Wanderers look like they have an improved squad for sure and I reckon without the ACL they are good for top two. I also am expecting to see an improved showing from Mariners. I really like what Okon is doing. You have to expect Sydney and Victory to be up there though the impact of ACL may be a bit of a leveller. City are an unknown in terms  of how they will go. They under achieved last year.
I am pretty much expecting us to be bottom 6 as oppose to top six. The Ange era is over. Thomas is gone. There is no way the squad is in better shape than the one 12 months ago. Even if we get of to a good start in the A League, ACL will kills us. So I totally agree that we are well behind.

My main hope is that the few youngsters that we have, will develop and we get to keep them and maybe a few more will come through. As for shortcomings of Caletti. I think his vision, movement, and passing ability compensates for a lot of things. What I am looking for from him is that he become more influential in terms of determining outcomes of games. I am looking to see D'Aggers live up to JA's hype and score 10 goals, and  Ingham to mature and live up to the expectations of him being an international. If one or two other youth players can cut it, I will be rapt.
I was happy with the FBK recruitment but underwhelmed by the others and very disappointed that the prospect of the promised  quality replacement  for Borrello has evaporated into thin air.
As for following other clubs. I really intensely dislike all the other 9 though I like a couple of coaches. Merrick and Okon.

dobo

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 10:15:54 PM »

Wanderers look like they have an improved squad for sure and I reckon without the ACL they are good for top two. I also am expecting to see an improved showing from Mariners. I really like what Okon is doing. You have to expect Sydney and Victory to be up there though the impact of ACL may be a bit of a leveller. City are an unknown in terms  of how they will go. They under achieved last year.
I am pretty much expecting us to be bottom 6 as oppose to top six. The Ange era is over. Thomas is gone. There is no way the squad is in better shape than the one 12 months ago. Even if we get of to a good start in the A League, ACL will kills us. So I totally agree that we are well behind.

My main hope is that the few youngsters that we have, will develop and we get to keep them and maybe a few more will come through. As for shortcomings of Caletti. I think his vision, movement, and passing ability compensates for a lot of things. What I am looking for from him is that he become more influential in terms of determining outcomes of games. I am looking to see D'Aggers live up to JA's hype and score 10 goals, and  Ingham to mature and live up to the expectations of him being an international. If one or two other youth players can cut it, I will be rapt.
I was happy with the FBK recruitment but underwhelmed by the others and very disappointed that the prospect of the promised  quality replacement  for Borrello has evaporated into thin air.
As for following other clubs. I really intensely dislike all the other 9 though I like a couple of coaches. Merrick and Okon.

i think when we were looking for a quality borrello replacement we were still looking to play a similar style to last season, with out and out wingers. I think JA has looked at his squad (and the talent available for him to sign) and fully committed to the 3-4-2-1 as our main formation and having 4-3-3 as plan b. the 3-4-2-1 means that money can be better spent elsewhere (or saved for next season with the salary cap rules).

it does mean we are a little light on the 10 role though as we only have FBK and Holeman. Daggers can play that role but will (according to JA) spend most of his time up front. I suppose you could play Mckay up there and bring callettie in, but if one of FBK or Holeman are out injured we look a little light in options.

mellod

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 07:19:17 AM »

i think when we were looking for a quality borrello replacement we were still looking to play a similar style to last season, with out and out wingers. I think JA has looked at his squad (and the talent available for him to sign) and fully committed to the 3-4-2-1 as our main formation and having 4-3-3 as plan b. the 3-4-2-1 means that money can be better spent elsewhere (or saved for next season with the salary cap rules).

it does mean we are a little light on the 10 role though as we only have FBK and Holeman. Daggers can play that role but will (according to JA) spend most of his time up front. I suppose you could play Mckay up there and bring callettie in, but if one of FBK or Holeman are out injured we look a little light in options.

I wonder whether that Torres bloke will continue his trial. He came on for Holman in the last game.

mellod

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
So if we move forward with the 3-4-2-1 formation, I'd assume:

-----------Theo/Young-------------

-----DeVere---Papa---North------

------Kristensen------McKay------

Hingert----------------------Brown

--------Holman--------FBK--------

-------------Maccarone------------

Bench: Theo/Young (GK cover), Caletti (DM cover), Gameiro (WING cover??), Daggers (ST cover), ???? (CB cover)

Just working out cover for our starting XI:

GK: Theo or Young
RB: Ingham?
CB: Youth player?
LB: O'Toole
DM: Caletti/Pepper
RW: Ingham (?)/Gameiro?
LW: Youth?
ST: Daggers and Gameiro

dobo

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 03:57:22 PM »
So if we move forward with the 3-4-2-1 formation, I'd assume:

-----------Theo/Young-------------

-----DeVere---Papa---North------

------Kristensen------McKay------

Hingert----------------------Brown

--------Holman--------FBK--------

-------------Maccarone------------

Bench: Theo/Young (GK cover), Caletti (DM cover), Gameiro (WING cover??), Daggers (ST cover), ???? (CB cover)

Just working out cover for our starting XI:

GK: Theo or Young
RB: Ingham?
CB: Youth player?
LB: O'Toole
DM: Caletti/Pepper
RW: Ingham (?)/Gameiro?
LW: Youth?
ST: Daggers and Gameiro

yeah that is pretty much the case I reckon. Our plan B / rotation /injury plan would be to revert to 4-3-3 with

-------------------------------------young/theo--------------------------------
Hingert/Ingam----Dever/Papa/North----------Dever/Papa/North-----Brown/Otool

-----------------Kristensen/Pepper------------Mckay/Calettie---------------------

Gameiro/???-------------------Holeman/FBK/Dagger-------------------FBK/Brady

--------------------------------Macaronne/Daggers-----------------------------------

I think if everyone plays to their potential and stays fit we have a very good squad, the only person i dont really like in that line up is pepper but JA resigned him for some reason. The real burning question is can all those players that are injury prone and as old as they are play to their potential for the entire season. there are definitely no Andrew Packers, Dodd brothers or Chinese Messi's amoungs the squad and for that i am thankfull

Fixer

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
Back 3 in that formation are very slow and old , I think you may see Ingam and otoole play there at some stage this season or possibly Brown and Hingeart with the youngsters playing the wing back roles , at least with those 4 we have youth on our side.

Chico Raul

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 04:30:07 PM »
Does the new formation mean we can look forwards to more of this type of goal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDqaEQlV5AU

Paolo

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
I agree with the potential problem with the proposed back 3... the ball over the top looks very dangerous especially with a high line..

There is a need for speed...

BrynFC

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
I agree with the potential problem with the proposed back 3... the ball over the top looks very dangerous especially with a high line..

There is a need for speed...

With a squad average off 33 something, there is no speed :'(

Fixer

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »
Ave age is not that bad when you take the whole of defensive line up into account , but agree the ball over the top will cause problems with , papa Luke and jade.

The female kangaroo has a pouch. The male kangaroo doesn't. So the male kangaroo has pouch envy. "Why don't i get a pouch? I've got things to carry too. At least give me a pocket".

The struggle to free myself from restraints becomes my very shackles.

Chico Raul

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
I was one of the doubters. Is he too old? Can he adjust to the pace of the game here, the pitches, the temperatures? It's a big ask.
Based on what I saw on Friday at Suncorp, he is excellent.
One of the concerns about older players is the longer recovery time between games, the longer recovery time between injuries etc. Just look at TK as a case in point.
But he was good on Friday. Hopefully he remains fit.
The cameo for me was the hassling of the goal keeper (a la Berisha) which created the opportunity for D'aggers which he missed (twice in fact) which just about said it all.
I thought Maccarone was good value and I felt sorry for him given the poor quality of the rest of the team. Apart from Brown's quality cross which  Maccarone finished.
His comment on the opportunity he did not score (straight at the keeper) suggested he genuinely felt he should have put that one away.
Hopefully he will sit down next week with D'aggers and talk him through some stuff. Although I am of the opinion that strikers are born and not made. Good luck with that one.

coast

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »
I am of the opinion that strikers are born and not made. Good luck with that one.

Exhibit A:  Reinaldo.

MonteCristo

• Two feet, studs up
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »
He wasn't crap. Clearly has tekkers. But he looked knackered after 20 minutes.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2048
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 204731
  • Total Topics: 8009
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1