Author Topic: Brisbane Roar Players Contracts/Info etc. #2  (Read 33740 times)

theoworldwide

Re: Brisbane Roar Players Contracts/Info etc. #2
« Reply #580 on: July 23, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
No it wasn't unfair. He didn't perform more often then not. He let us down. Overrated player.

Chico Raul

« Reply #581 on: August 01, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »
Thomas Broich to have more surgery
https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/former-brisbane-roar-star-thomas-broich-requires-more-surgery-on-his-ankle/news-story/fd8ac9b88bbad7874a03fadc88b30521

FORMER Brisbane Roar star Thomas Broich needs further ankle surgery.

Just two months after having an operation on his left ankle, Broich is set to go under the knife again this week after at CT scan revealed floating bone fragments.

?When I tried to step up the intensity in my recovery it became difficult so I went for another scan, and this is the outcome,? the 36-year-old two-time Johnny Warren Medallist said.

Broich, who remains a free agent, is confident of making a full recovery and being able to play again should an offer come his way.

He is also planing for his post-playing career, having recently spent time in Sydney with the Olyroos squad as an observer and in an unofficial mentoring role.

This bloke's only 36 and he is injured! He should be a shoo in at Roar. (CR)

theoworldwide

kb55

« Reply #583 on: August 02, 2017, 10:47:40 PM »
'Spanish forward Guillermo Torres, who was a second-half substitute in the Roar?s 2-0 Heritage Shield win over Lions at Richlands last week, is no longer training with the club.'

Chico Raul

« Reply #584 on: August 03, 2017, 04:17:04 PM »
Given that the Roar website is featuring Oxborrow talking about the free kick goal for Perth, and wearing Roar colours, I assume that it is now official that he is in the squad.
At least until Bowles is back.

mellod

« Reply #585 on: August 03, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »
Given that the Roar website is featuring Oxborrow talking about the free kick goal for Perth, and wearing Roar colours, I assume that it is now official that he is in the squad.
At least until Bowles is back.

Correct: http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/article/signing-news-welcome-to-brisbane-mitch/1hodxbidccldj1p72c8quguc8j

Although it sounds like he has signed onto a regular contract, rather than as an injury replacement.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #586 on: August 04, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
*UPDATED* - 2 positions left in the squad.

Here's the list as of today 4th August 2017

Rumours/Possible Signings:
-

Coming off contract:
-

Contracted till the end of 2017/18 Season:
21. Mitchell Oxborrow
20. Massimo Maccarone (Fgn) (Marquee)
19. Corey Gameiro
18. Fahid Ben Khalfallah (Fgn)
17. Jade North
16. Matt McKay
15. Brett Holman (Marquee)
14. Nicholas D'Agostino
13. Connor O'Toole
12. Corey Brown
11. Jamie Young
10. Jack Hingert
9. Daniel Bowles
8. Michael Theo
7. Avram Papadopoulos
6. Jacob Pepper
5. Joe Caletti

Contracted till the end of 2018/19 Season:
4. Shannon Brady
3. Thomas Kristensen (Fgn)
2. Luke DeVere

Contracted till the end of 2019/20 Season:
1. Dane Ingham

Transfers/Off Contract/Released (Last 10):
27/06/2017 - Kye Rowles - Released. Contract terminated by mutual consent. Signed with Central Coast Mariners.
21/06/2017 - Thomas Oar - Transfer. APOEL FC (Cyprus)
27/05/2017 - Brandon Borrello - Transfer. FC Kaiserslautern (Germany)
18/05/2017 - Nathan Konstandopoulos - Released. Contract Expired.
18/05/2017 - Cameron Crestani - Released. Youth Contract Expired.
18/05/2017 - Manuel Arana Rodriguez - Released. Contract Expired.
18/05/2017 - Joey Katebian - Released. Contract Expired.
17/05/2017 - Jamie Maclaren - Released. Contract Expired.
10/05/2017 - Thomas Broich - Released. Contract Expired.
06/02/2017 - Dimitri Petratos - Transfer. Ulsan Hyundai.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

Chico Raul

« Reply #587 on: August 07, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »
So Peter Skapetis is an injury replacement for now.
The paper also says that Emilio Martinez is on a scholarship deal.
Surely Aaron Reardon (in Australia U20 squad) would be a pick.

Chico Raul

« Reply #588 on: August 08, 2017, 08:37:30 AM »
Article in The Roar likens us to Moneyball by Adam Daunt
http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/08/08/brisbane-roar-built-now-embarking-new-era/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theroar%2Fsoccer+%28The+Roar+-+Soccer%29

Moneyball is a 2011 sports drama. It revolves around the true story of Oakland Athletics General Manager Billy Beane and assistant Peter Brand, a Yale economist, who revolt against traditional baseball logic and build a team of ragtag misfits based off mathematical algorithm.
It proved to be a home run.
Since it?s box office debut, Moneyball has become the colloquial term for teams buying recycled players.
Its usage has bordered upon excessive and frivolous, coming to encompasses transfer policies which don?t come close to the true heart of what Michael Lewis describes in his renowned book, Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game.
I wouldn?t describe Brisbane Roar?s transfer policy this off-season as Moneyball-esque, it is a gamble and built for the now. Potentially, for a new era.
Massimo Maccarone is a 38-year-old striker, the journey-man striker shapes as a throwback to a bygone era of old-fashioned hold-up play who feasts by poaching in the six-yard box. He has good pedigree with Middlesbrough and Palermo in his past alumni, however, turning 38 in September, one must wonder how many minutes Brisbane will get out of him.
Is it enough to be impactful?
Fahid Ben Khalfallah is well known among the A-League faithful, awarded Melbourne Victory?s Player of the season in his debut year. He seems a replacement for Roar Idol Thomas Broich, yet at 34, much the same as Maccarone, there is a question of fitness and minutes.
If both players cannot playout matches occasionally, are they re-signed to the bench as impact players?
Corey Gameiro once had Australia?s football community in the palm of his hand, he had talent in abundance and shaped as the next big thing. Gameiro arrives in Brisbane, entering his fourth club after a career plagued by injuries which have stalled his progress.
Apparently, Brisbane staff are impressed with his conditioning with all things considered, yet in the back of everyone?s minds must be the knowledge that this is a big risk.
Given all three are on one-year deals, two are ageing and one is on the comeback trail, it feels like Aloisi has banked on success this year, with these risks being calculated he is hoping to find value where others cannot.
This has the hallmarks of a short-term plan. It?s a brave move and could force a change of philosophy.
Since the halcyon days of Ange Postecoglou, Brisbane has assembled itself in its various iterations, under a 4-3-3 formation with an underlying desire to pass the ball and the play a ?pure? game.
Last season, Jamie McLaren and Brandon Borrello offered Brisbane a potent and scintillatingly quick offensive line, allowing Brisbane to play counter-attack if the situation beckoned, while the passing ability of Thomas Broich and Thomas Kristensen allowed Brisbane midfield dominance and control of the game.
Now with McLaren and Borrello in Europe and Thomas Broich retired, Brisbane may not have the speed it needs to counter attack or play a front three with wide-players.
Ben Khalfallah offers Aloisi a wide option, yet his strengths lie in playing incisive passes and dead ball specialities rather than breakneck speed. Both Gameiro and Maccarone are versatile attacking players, however, are more suited to playing centrally as is Nicholas D?Agostino.
Trialist Peter Skapetis is also a central attacking option.
John Aloisi is certainly blessed with firepower, which could see a shift towards a two-striker system, potentially a 4-1-2-1-2, allowing Brisbane to highlight their strength in central midfield and use their hoard of strikers.
Potentially a slight variation of a front three could be in vogue, with the two wingers shifting inwards to play behind a central striker, more of a 4-3-2-1, compensating for the lack of wide players and utilising Brisbane?s plethora of strikers.
Assumedly Brisbane would have to sacrifice its counter attack and revert to a more patient controlled style of game reminiscent of the 2009-2012 ?Roarcelona?.
If there is something we can agree on, it?s that Brisbane will pose one of the fascinating stories of the upcoming season, having taken a chance on its signings and the possibility of a change marking a new era.
Brisbane is all in for season 2017/18, whether they hit the jackpot remains to be seen.

BrynFC

« Reply #589 on: August 08, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
Interesting Article,

although i don't agree with the term, one of fascinating stories of the upcoming season.

I don't find it fascinating that we are signing very old players, signing injury prone players, and I'm still not sure what JA is doing...

Im a very bruised Roar fan, the last years have been brutal, the only brief highlight for me was watching Corona control the midfield and McLaren develop over the two seasons.

I'm just struggling with the age of the players/ squad overall and direction of the club.

i wish i could be a little more optimistic, but i think I'm tapped out.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #590 on: August 08, 2017, 12:34:34 PM »
To me it's weird to think how negative the overall feel has been about the team over the last few seasons. We've finished 3rd in both seasons so definitely haven't been a total debacle.

I don't know what to make of the coming season. We've got an ageing squad and 17 players currently coming off contract at the end of it.
It feels like that JA needs a dream run of everything he's planning to come together for us to be a top 4 contender but even if a few things fail then we'll fall apart in a bad way.

Time will tell.

A win against the Victory in the cup would be a great confidence booster!
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

mellod

« Reply #591 on: August 08, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »
I think it will be really interesting to see how we perform this season. I am hoping for a lot of rotation of these older players with the younger guys we have got coming through. Hopefully we find another few gems.

It has been a bit of an up and down time for the club, but we have still done quite well with what we have.

I remain positive, because we could always be Wellington, Adelaide, Perth or Newcastle fans.

It is also good to know that the club is still willing to invest money in marquees.

Chico Raul

« Reply #592 on: August 08, 2017, 01:21:10 PM »
It has been refreshing to have a lot more stability this off season for sure.
But to an extent, I think that negativity is the birth right of a football fan. And some things are not helping:

(1) Losing Thomas. It was always going to happen someday but the way that it happened has left a few bruises. It is the end of an era.
(2) Promises made about the Borrello / Maclaren replacement did not come to fruition and there has been little to no communication from JA to the fan base about how things worked out. People are left guessing about changes of formation and approach. The vacuum left by JA is being filled by negativity and speculation. The fan forum last week was about player development. It was made quite clear that other interests were off limit. eg The role of Danny Tiatto. So people are still waiting for communication and engagement. 
(3) Player age is a valid concern and was commented on by people outside the club.  It is the elephant in the room.
(4) Last season started with promise but we fell away under the combined load of injury, travel and ACL commitments. Knowing that we have more of the same to come in terms of crap fixturing (added to by the Jeff Horne rematch and concerts), an  aging squad, and travel,  without having really strengthened the depth of the squad, does little to encourage the fan base that we are in better shape to deal with it.   

I sense that the best we can hope for is coming third again. The fear is that we will not even achieve this.
Maybe the sense of excitement will develop if Roar get off to a good start.
Maybe the FFA Cup came will give us encouragement. We just live in hope.
I just look forwards to seeing the youngsters develop. Which is my main reason to keep coming along.

Chico Raul

« Reply #593 on: August 08, 2017, 04:58:13 PM »
It has been refreshing to have a lot more stability this off season for sure.
But to an extent, I think that negativity is the birth right of a football fan. And some things are not helping:

(1) Losing Thomas. It was always going to happen someday but the way that it happened has left a few bruises. It is the end of an era.
(2) Promises made about the Borrello / Maclaren replacement did not come to fruition and there has been little to no communication from JA to the fan base about how things worked out. People are left guessing about changes of formation and approach. The vacuum left by JA is being filled by negativity and speculation. The fan forum last week was about player development. It was made quite clear that other interests were off limit. eg The role of Danny Tiatto. So people are still waiting for communication and engagement. 
(3) Player age is a valid concern and was commented on by people outside the club.  It is the elephant in the room.
(4) Last season started with promise but we fell away under the combined load of injury, travel and ACL commitments. Knowing that we have more of the same to come in terms of crap fixturing (added to by the Jeff Horne rematch and concerts), an  aging squad, and travel,  without having really strengthened the depth of the squad, does little to encourage the fan base that we are in better shape to deal with it.   

I sense that the best we can hope for is coming third again. The fear is that we will not even achieve this.
Maybe the sense of excitement will develop if Roar get off to a good start.
Maybe the FFA Cup came will give us encouragement. We just live in hope.
I just look forwards to seeing the youngsters develop. Which is my main reason to keep coming along.
One other thing about that piece on the Roar Review by Adam Daunt.
No mention of our marquee man Holman. Very telling that he wasn't mentioned.  He absolutely needs a big season.

mellod

« Reply #594 on: August 12, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »
Rumour on Twitter that we are looking at a Spanish midfielder and an overseas CB: https://twitter.com/MrWalkerAgent/status/896208366233571329

scribbo

« Reply #595 on: August 13, 2017, 05:07:20 PM »
Both preferably over thirty I guess, seems to be the requirement now to have any chance of playing for the Roar.

jamboree

« Reply #596 on: August 14, 2017, 05:46:37 AM »
Don't forget a pervious knee injury or two

Chico Raul

« Reply #597 on: August 14, 2017, 07:23:28 AM »
Rumour on Twitter that we are looking at a Spanish midfielder and an overseas CB: https://twitter.com/MrWalkerAgent/status/896208366233571329
Isnt the limit 23?
In which case Skapetis, if we keep him, and 2 newbies wont go.

mellod

« Reply #598 on: August 14, 2017, 07:56:01 AM »
Isnt the limit 23?

Looking at Fin's list, we had 21 with Oxborrow. I'm not sure whether Skapetis counts if he is on an injury replacement deal, but it would certainly make sense to leave a spot available if he turns out to be worth signing.

I do think it would make sense for us to be looking for another attacking mid, as Holman can't play every minute, especially if we have ACL.

I think if we have 21 players, sign another attacking mid and leave a spot open for Skapetis, that would make sense.

Chico Raul

« Reply #599 on: August 14, 2017, 08:46:23 AM »
Isnt the limit 23?

Looking at Fin's list, we had 21 with Oxborrow. I'm not sure whether Skapetis counts if he is on an injury replacement deal, but it would certainly make sense to leave a spot available if he turns out to be worth signing.

I do think it would make sense for us to be looking for another attacking mid, as Holman can't play every minute, especially if we have ACL.

I think if we have 21 players, sign another attacking mid and leave a spot open for Skapetis, that would make sense.
Perhaps there is something going on with our CB fitness that we don't know about.
What is the situation with De Vere and Papa?
I am still struggling with the line up available against Victory and if there is talk about another CB it is a bit suspicious. Unless talking a genuine short term injury replacement for Bowles.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 204167
  • Total Topics: 7987
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12