Author Topic: Matildas @ the Olympics  (Read 1384 times)

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
Matildas @ the Olympics
« on: August 08, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »
Thought it'd be good to start chatting about the girls.

Very disappointing loss first up but girls put up a great fight against the Germans and really should've won! Now onto their last game against Zimbabwe. From what I've heard a decent win here should be enough to see us progress as (at least) one of the 3rd best teams to go through to the finals from the group stage.

On a side note I was thinking about the 2 games played so far and about the composure and maturity of our team and feeling it's not quite there.
Now I realise how bloody young the squad is and believe this is just the start of something special in relation to the Matildas!!

Lydia Williams - 28
Mackenzie Arnold - 22

Clare Polkinghore - 27
Laura Alleway - 26
Steph Catley - 22
Ellie Carpenter - 26
Alanna Kennedy - 21

Katrina Gorry - 23
Chloe Logarzo - 21
Elise Kellond-Knight - 25
Caitlin Foord - 21
Emily van Egmond - 23
Tameka Butt - 25

Larissa Crummer - 20
Lisa De Vanna - 31
Sam Kerr - 22
Michelle Heyman - 28
Kyah Simon - 25
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

Septic Bladder

Re: Matildas @ the Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 10:51:45 AM »
I wouldn't categorise them as a young team.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
I wouldn't categorise them as a young team.
Care to elaborate?

I recognize that many of them have played plenty of games for club and the Matildas however there's still plenty of ways to go for a fair few of them before they are mentally at the peak of their powers.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

Dinoweb

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 12:35:37 AM »
Average age is 24.2. I would think for a womens team, that's a fair age. It's no accident that there is only 1 30+ player in the team

Not trying to be sexist in any way shape or form, but female teams tend to be younger than males for many reasons.

While it doesn't effect all, certainly the whole having babies thing interrupts the playing career of many in ways that just doesn't impact men as much.

There is also less physical variation between younger and older women compared to their male counterparts. That means it's easier for <22 year old women to compete physically with those that are 25+ compared to men in the same age ranges.

Of course there is also less money available to enable women to stay in the game. The recent increases in money and professionalism are more likely to have a greater impact on the development of next generation than the current.

Finally, the observation about maturity and composure is possibly more a reflection of the depth in the female side of the sport than the age of the team. The coaching available and quality faced week in week out for the girls coming up through the various age divisions is not as high as their male counterparts. The better girls then are rarely tested to the full level of their ability while they are learning.
I see it, but I do not believe it!

Favourite Roar Moments
1 - 13/03/11 Roar 2 (4) CCM 2 (2)
2 - 4/05/14 Roar 2 WSW 1 (E.T.)
3 - 14/04/12 Roar 2 Perth Glory 1
4 - 6/11/10 Roar 4 Adelaide 0
5 - 22/3/14 Roar 1 Melbourne Victory 0
6 - 14/1/12 Roar 2 Sydney 1

miron mercedes

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:13:02 AM »
Average age is 24.2. I would think for a womens team, that's a fair age. It's no accident that there is only 1 30+ player in the team

Not trying to be sexist in any way shape or form, but female teams tend to be younger than males for many reasons.

While it doesn't effect all, certainly the whole having babies thing interrupts the playing career of many in ways that just doesn't impact men as much.

There is also less physical variation between younger and older women compared to their male counterparts. That means it's easier for <22 year old women to compete physically with those that are 25+ compared to men in the same age ranges.

Of course there is also less money available to enable women to stay in the game. The recent increases in money and professionalism are more likely to have a greater impact on the development of next generation than the current.

Finally, the observation about maturity and composure is possibly more a reflection of the depth in the female side of the sport than the age of the team. The coaching available and quality faced week in week out for the girls coming up through the various age divisions is not as high as their male counterparts. The better girls then are rarely tested to the full level of their ability while they are learning.
I am not sure I am game to comment on your comments lol.
When discussing women in sport there is always someone waiting to label any comment as sexist.
I think your comments however, are balanced and practical.
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

miron mercedes

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 10:12:35 AM »
does anyone know how I can watch the Olympic football ? Is broadcasting any ? you would not know it is even on ...

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
does anyone know how I can watch the Olympic football ? Is broadcasting any ? you would not know it is even on ...
Was on live at 5 am.
The only other game I have seen is the Brazil v Iraq 0-0.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »
Holding up well against the home team. 0-0 at half time and Australia building composure and chances.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

miron mercedes

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »
Cheated out of a semi final ....Brazils save from Gorry was 2 metres off the line .Should have been retaken . Obviously Brazil had to go through at all costs . Well done Aussies no shame there.

NealV

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 02:46:21 PM »
On the money Miron!!!!  Every penalty, the Brazialian keeper came off her line.  Woeful ref-ing!  She should have been told that if she saves any of them, they'd be taking them again.

Well done Matilda's.  Hold you heads up high.  Brazil just not good enough to beat our Matildas.  Awesome!

scribbo

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
Was a waste of time having the second referee on the goal line, she was either blind or South American and did not want to get mugged. Certainly not good refereeing at the end of such a pulsating game.

Well done to the Aussie girls, great effort, should be very proud of yourselves.

A.C.A.B

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 11:37:21 PM »
On the money Miron!!!!  Every penalty, the Brazialian keeper came off her line.  Woeful ref-ing!  She should have been told that if she saves any of them, they'd be taking them again.

Well done Matilda's.  Hold you heads up high.  Brazil just not good enough to beat our Matildas.  Awesome!

But they did beat the Matilda's, that's why Brazil is in the semi final.

Australia bottled it.

miron mercedes

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 11:45:36 PM »

Australia bottled it.

Bottled it ? you must have seen a different game to me ....either that or you are extremely hard to please  . I have seen players like Di Baggio , Maradona, Viduka ,Kewell miss penalties high and wide.
Neither missed penalty in this game was actually missed...they were saved...and if you look again you will see that in both instances the Brazilian keeper took at least two steps forward off her line (three in the case of Gorry's ) ..that is unacceptable when you have a ref right beside them.   

A.C.A.B

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 12:02:09 AM »
I don't doubt that their keeper was bending the rules, but the fact is, they had a kick to win it, but bottled it unfortunately.

I don't understand why the Australian keeper didn't do the same thing when it became clear that the referee wasn't penalising it.

gooseman22

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 07:01:15 AM »

Australia bottled it.

Bottled it ? you must have seen a different game to me ....either that or you are extremely hard to please  . I have seen players like Di Baggio , Maradona, Viduka ,Kewell miss penalties high and wide.
Neither missed penalty in this game was actually missed...they were saved...and if you look again you will see that in both instances the Brazilian keeper took at least two steps forward off her line (three in the case of Gorry's ) ..that is unacceptable when you have a ref right beside them.   
The first was the worst....she was halfway to the penalty spot before the ball was kicked. She wasn't "as bad" after that, so I suspect the ref said something to her, but still allowed her to get away with it, thereafter.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 203629
  • Total Topics: 7968
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 14
Total: 15