Author Topic: Re: HAL Player Movements/Transfer Thread #5  (Read 17195 times)

coast

Re: Re: HAL Player Movements/Transfer Thread #5
« Reply #300 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:08 PM »
And finally, I think this confirms that Broich being shown the door was due to some kind of difference on football or personality.  Cos it wasn't to do with his age, and it's pretty damned obvious that it wasn't to do with money.

I'm starting to think that the Aloisi's have been planted to f**k up our club.

miron mercedes

« Reply #301 on: July 17, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
And finally, I think this confirms that Broich being shown the door was due to some kind of difference on football or personality.  Cos it wasn't to do with his age, and it's pretty damned obvious that it wasn't to do with money.

Coastie I normally agree with a lot you say but I can't in this instance .
I agree that on paper the team is old but if you match the old with young players correctly it can work in our League.
If it was the EPL I would say the age was a drawback but if we play a possession game in our league the older players can play and be dangerous as they don't have to do so much frenetic running as they would in the EPL.
I am not saying you will be proved wrong but I think we need to wait and see how we go before we start criticizing .
As for Holman ?..he came in behind the eight ball last season and then got a long term injury.
With a preseason behind him he may have a much stronger showing this year.
No one has even seen us play yet.
I am happy to trust JA for now and see what he comes up with.
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

cottonjaws

Re: HAL Player Movements/Transfer Thread #5
« Reply #302 on: July 17, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »
This looks like it could be a tough year coming up.
The one thing we had to counter the dull antifootball hard press from Sydney and Victory was the ability to break at pace. Now we have no pace and old legs. If JA has got it right I can't wait to see the style of football we play to knock off those sides - however I just can't see how we do it. Broich loss is huge and will probably be seen as a turning point for the JA leadership team.

Murk

« Reply #303 on: July 17, 2017, 09:40:45 PM »
Brisbane Roar Retirement Homes Pty Ltd.

FFS.  We let Broich go, then sign one 34 year old and a 37 year old.

Aloisi is a complete goose.
Maccarone will apparently be 38 when the season starts,

theoworldwide

« Reply #304 on: July 17, 2017, 10:26:46 PM »
When the next fan forum? Or how can we contact the club to complain?

The feedback on Facebook about this signing is overwhelmingly negative.

coast

« Reply #305 on: July 17, 2017, 10:43:08 PM »

Coastie I normally agree with a lot you say but I can't in this instance .
I agree that on paper the team is old but if you match the old with young players correctly it can work in our League.
If it was the EPL I would say the age was a drawback but if we play a possession game in our league the older players can play and be dangerous as they don't have to do so much frenetic running as they would in the EPL.
I am not saying you will be proved wrong but I think we need to wait and see how we go before we start criticizing .
As for Holman ?..he came in behind the eight ball last season and then got a long term injury.
With a preseason behind him he may have a much stronger showing this year.
No one has even seen us play yet.
I am happy to trust JA for now and see what he comes up with.

Hope you are right MM.  Good on you for the positive take.

But it isn't a good look is it?  Two marquees - Holman at 33 who is well past his never very good best, and a 38 year old Italian.  I don't see much to trust in that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:49:36 PM by coast »

coast

« Reply #306 on: July 17, 2017, 10:44:37 PM »
A poor first half of the season and Aloisi will be gone.

Good grief, they say coaches build teams in their image. Clearly Aloisi takes that literally. He's building a team the same age as him.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:51:09 PM by coast »

miron mercedes

« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2017, 11:50:02 PM »
A poor first half of the season and Aloisi will be gone.

Good grief, they say coaches build teams in their image. Clearly Aloisi takes that literally. He's building a team the same age as him.
I don't agree with you .....but that is funny ...
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

mellod

« Reply #308 on: July 18, 2017, 07:21:12 AM »
I think this could be a decent signing, if we can utilise his strengths.

Here we have signed an old player who has a lot of experience at the top level, holds up the ball well, has good passing vision and good goal scoring ability. People choose to ignore the positives and focus on age and not remember that we are only able to get those positive things cheaply enough because of his age.

If we signed a younger player with less experience, people would be complaining that he is an unknown and that we should be signing proven players.

There is no way for JA to win, given the wage constraints we have. With very limited money, sacrifices need to be made somewhere.

Edit: Also, forgot to add, imagine what playing with this guy for a year will do for Daggers?

Chico Raul

« Reply #309 on: July 18, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »
I think this could be a decent signing, if we can utilise his strengths.

Here we have signed an old player who has a lot of experience at the top level, holds up the ball well, has good passing vision and good goal scoring ability. People choose to ignore the positives and focus on age and not remember that we are only able to get those positive things cheaply enough because of his age.

If we signed a younger player with less experience, people would be complaining that he is an unknown and that we should be signing proven players.

There is no way for JA to win, given the wage constraints we have. With very limited money, sacrifices need to be made somewhere.

Edit: Also, forgot to add, imagine what playing with this guy for a year will do for Daggers?
I am still underwhelmed.
I am thinking back to Emile Heskey (62 England Caps 7 international goals) who came into Jets aged 34 on the back of playing in the EPL and recently at Aston Villa who were EPL at the time. So the point from Craig Moore regarding what team has a player who played in a major league last season does not mean much if we look at Heskey as a precedent. 
The whole deal smacks of last minute decision making. Panic possibly.
According to the club, the plan was to look in South America (Brazil was mentioned) ; I recall we were discussing on this site the likelihood of uncovering another Octopus/Fornarolli.
Obviously this plan did not come off. I questioned it at the time given the season the was under way over there.
More recently we were told about Curacao.
It seems to me (maybe Brescianno got into Craig's ear) that when the opportunity came up, JA thought "Why Not?" "We haven't got anyone else ................... and time is running out". Or perhaps he did not really think it through. Or just maybe it's a crazy idea that might just work.
Possibly Heskey had an influence on the young Taggart at Jets and Roar are hoping for something similar with D'Aggers. Which would be great. A real positive if the club pull it off. (Taggart was the 2014 Golden Boot with 16 goals).  Taggart also had Mark Bridges alongside him too. 
Heskey's goal scoring did not match the hype. And Roar need goals from August 9 in the FFA Cup and certainly from October.
Heskey was not a 20 goal a season striker in the A League and I really don't expect Macca Mark II to be either.
The real risk is that we build the play around Macca Mark II who could well under perform and struggle to  adapt. 
I don't think we are looking at another Kurtisi. I can say that much. But doubt whether we have a 20 goal a season player? I really don't see it. 
And one other thing. The club still does not understand the emotion there is around Thomas leaving. It is still raw. With unanswered questions.  Hiring a 38 year old just aggravates the wounds. Not to mention that the left side marquee who came in on Thomas's wages is gone already.
JA needs to speak to fans about this and clear it up.   

Herbielives

« Reply #310 on: July 18, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
We have a 19 year old striker in Daggers who scored 2 goals last year (Same as marquee Tommy Oar) after playing minimal minutes. This kid is gonna be a gun. I have followed him in NPL and NYL and I reckon if he gets decent game time this year he will return 10 goals. Everyone talks about how Caletti is the future, and yes I agree he is a talented prospect however if we don't sign Daggers to keep him here long term we are gonna miss something special so throw plenty of dollars his way before he gets better offers.

He is strong and quick. He can hold a ball up and he is good in the air. He knows where the goal is and he has a powerful shot on both feet from what I've seen in NPL
So if JA has signed Maccarone to assist the development of this kid, I'm all for it.

dobo

« Reply #311 on: July 18, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »

I am still underwhelmed.
I am thinking back to Emile Heskey (62 England Caps 7 international goals) who came into Jets aged 34 on the back of playing in the EPL and recently at Aston Villa who were EPL at the time. So the point from Craig Moore regarding what team has a player who played in a major league last season does not mean much if we look at Heskey as a precedent. 
According to the club, the plan was to look in South America (Brazil was mentioned) ; I recall we were discussing on this site the likelihood of uncovering another Octopus/Fornarolli.
Obviously this plan did not come off. I questioned it at the time given the season the was under way over there.
It seems to me (maybe Brescianno got into Craig's ear) that when the opportunity came up, JA thought "Why Not?" "We haven't got anyone else ................... and time is running out". Or perhaps he did not really think it through. Or just maybe it's a crazy idea that might just work.
Possibly Heskey had an influence on the young Taggart at Jets and Roar are hoping for something similar with D'Aggers. Which would be great. A real positive if the club pull it off. (Taggart was the 2014 Golden Boot with 16 goals).  Taggart also had Mark Bridges alongside him too. 
Heskey's goal scoring did not match the hype. And Roar need goals from August 9 in the FFA Cup and certainly from October.
Heskey was not a 20 goal a season striker in the A League and I really don't expect Macca Mark II to be either.
The real risk is that we build the play around Macca Mark II who could well under perform and struggle to  adapt. 
I don't think we are looking at another Kurtisi. I can say that much. But doubt whether we have a 20 goal a season player? I really don't see it. 
And one other thing. The club still does not understand the emotion there is around Thomas leaving. It is still raw. With unanswered questions.  Hiring a 38 year old just aggravates the wounds. Not to mention that the left side marquee who came in on Thomas's wages is gone already.

the South America trip was cancelled, there was a reason given that i cant remember now but seemed reasonable at the time. I also don't think any of these signings are rush/desperate/last minute signings but i think supporters may feel that way because unlike a lot of clubs we are very tight lipped over who we are looking at and who we are approaching (this actually gives me some confidence that we are being very deliberate and considering our signings carefully). think back, it was all over the web with heaps of reports that FBK was going to the Jets before we signed him "out of the blue", we kept it very quiet until we were sure that he suited JA and were sure he was coming here. Everyone knew about Golecovic and Jamison to city, Williams to Vic, Georgevski to jets, Neville to Perth, everyone of the wanderers signings was known about for weeks before they were actually signed. Even Maccarone was touted to be on his way to Perth last week, but has come here.

Our signings (corey, FBK, Maccarone) and resignings (theo, JC, Kristensen ect) have "come out of the blue" but that is only because the club keeps it that way (and the reporters Marco and Vince are kept at arms length here) that makes them look rushed to some but signings dont just happen.

without Broich, Macca and borrello we need to make up 26 goals minimum and really to be pushing for top spots that needs to be around 30-35 and the mids need to contribute a few more. FBK averages 4 goals a season, i think daggers has 5 (maybe pushing up to 10 if he plays more), if corey can stay fit i reckon he has 3+ goals in him from minimal minutes. that means Maccarone + who ever we sign as right wing need 21-26 goals between them to be pushing for top spot (or 16-21 goals if Daggers progresses) which is very doable .

coast

« Reply #312 on: July 18, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »
We have a squad half full of footballing pensioners.

There's no getting round it, and letting Thomas go then signing a 35 year old and a 38 year old is flat out ridiculous. 

Look at the number of players we have in their mid 30s.  How is this a good idea on any level?  My only hope for this season, and it is a reasonable one, is that Daggers really steps up and Gamiero stays injury free, and the two of them form a young and quick striking partnership up front.  But a 38 year old marquee?  It's bullshit.  This guy is not Del Piero, and even he only worked for one season.

Chico Raul

« Reply #313 on: July 18, 2017, 11:45:18 AM »

I am still underwhelmed.

the South America trip was cancelled, there was a reason given that i cant remember now but seemed reasonable at the time. I also don't think any of these signings are rush/desperate/last minute signings but i think supporters may feel that way because unlike a lot of clubs we are very tight lipped over who we are looking at and who we are approaching (this actually gives me some confidence that we are being very deliberate and considering our signings carefully). think back, it was all over the web with heaps of reports that FBK was going to the Jets before we signed him "out of the blue", we kept it very quiet until we were sure that he suited JA and were sure he was coming here. Everyone knew about Golecovic and Jamison to city, Williams to Vic, Georgevski to jets, Neville to Perth, everyone of the wanderers signings was known about for weeks before they were actually signed. Even Maccarone was touted to be on his way to Perth last week, but has come here.

Our signings (corey, FBK, Maccarone) and resignings (theo, JC, Kristensen ect) have "come out of the blue" but that is only because the club keeps it that way (and the reporters Marco and Vince are kept at arms length here) that makes them look rushed to some but signings dont just happen.

without Broich, Macca and borrello we need to make up 26 goals minimum and really to be pushing for top spots that needs to be around 30-35 and the mids need to contribute a few more. FBK averages 4 goals a season, i think daggers has 5 (maybe pushing up to 10 if he plays more), if corey can stay fit i reckon he has 3+ goals in him from minimal minutes. that means Maccarone + who ever we sign as right wing need 21-26 goals between them to be pushing for top spot (or 16-21 goals if Daggers progresses) which is very doable .

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say...................we need to make up 26 goals minimum and really to be pushing for top spots that needs to be around 30-35 and the mids need to contribute a few more..........................................................that means Maccarone + who ever we sign as right wing need 21-26 goals between them to be pushing for top spot (or 16-21 goals if Daggers progresses) which is very doable ..............................................
There are a lot of ifs around signing a 37/38 year old ex Series A player.
If  he arrives in good shape
If  he stays fit and injury free
If  he can adapt to playing in Australia on the fields and the temperatures and the style of play
If  he has the energy levels to perform for 90 minutes and track back as necessary
If he can play midweek games should we have an ACL campaign, travel for half a day, and front up fresh at the weekend
Will he get the  quality of supply that he is used to?
There is a lot of risk and Roar is paying marquee wages. 
Hard to believe that Berisha is seven years younger and that is the yardstick against whom Macca MK II is measured.
You have all heard more than enough from me on this topic by now, so  I will shut up. It can't be undone, and I hope it turns out to be genius on the part of the JA.
Hopefully the winger will be something to get excited about. Unless it is an Asian player, then if we are in the ACL, we already have FBK, TK, Papa and Macca so one of them would not be included. Let's face it. None of them would relish the travel. Sadly, you would have to think Papa would be the one left out given our abundance of backs, but that would be sad.

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #314 on: July 18, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »
I think Heskey was effective as a marquee, in that he added interest to the game and brought something different. I remember he assisted quite a bit and acted as a magnet for opposition defences. He didn't win them any silver, but there haven't been any big name signings that have.
My preference is for a marquee that is going to bring you silver, but the FFA sees it differently. They'll stump up for Cahill, Kewell, and Del Piero, but won't help when it comes to Berisha and Broich.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

dobo

« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »
papa was born here, has australian citizenship and is counted as an australian for the ACL so he will definitely be in the acl sqaud. however 3+1  means that unless the new winger is asian then one of Macca, FBK, TK or new winger will miss out.

no doubt there are a lot of If's surrounding Macca MKII's success here but, he hasn't even landed here yet and people are writing him off. He comes with a fairly big pay check (500,000 reportedly) the club think he is worth that much, so i am going to at least going to wait until i see him play regularly before casting judgement. He has 3 weeks to get up to speed before the FFA cup (probably not quite enough particularly as our squad is not finalised yet), and then a further 8 weeks before round 1, plenty of time to get fit (if he is not) and gel with the team.

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2017, 01:29:07 PM »
That's where I am too, dobo. If he has no impact by round 5, then we can start making judgements. If we haven't won a game by round 8, then I'll be holding up my own Aloisi out sign.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

coast

« Reply #317 on: July 18, 2017, 03:35:23 PM »
This guy will be 38 this season.  38.

There is no getting round that figure.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:28:47 PM by coast »

Paolo

« Reply #318 on: July 18, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »
Still he was playing serie A last year, dont forget he is not a long term investment... lets see if we can give him decent chances, (which I think is the main point to remember....) , and if he can finish... our wingers will be the key to it all , I believe..

BrynFC

« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »
Still don't get it.

Can't see how a 38 year old, that hasn't played in Australian heat will cope, regardless of ability. he is 38!!!

Even if he was playing Serie A last year, he only managed 5 goals.... we need at least a 20+ a season striker

He isn't even a big name, so i don't see why we are playing $500K...

I personally don't see this working for us.... i hope I'm proven wrong or our season is done before its even started..

We are starting to look like a retirement XI, not a developing football team.

JA doesn't appear to use youth unless the first team are injured..

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 203902
  • Total Topics: 7973
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10