Author Topic: Roar midfielder Dimitri Petratos signs with Newcastle Jets  (Read 2185 times)

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
Roar midfielder Dimitri Petratos signs with Newcastle Jets
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
Roar midfielder Dimitri Petratos signs with Newcastle Jets

Marco Monteverde, The Courier-Mail

BRISBANE Roar attacking midfielder Dimitri Petratos will leave the three-time A-League champions at the end of the season to join the Newcastle Jets.

Former Sydney FC prodigy Petratos, 24, has made 92 A-League appearances for the Roar since moving to Brisbane in 2013 and was part of the squad that won the 2014 premiership-championship double.

The Roar offered him a new deal to remain in Brisbane beyond this season, but his desire to be closer to his NSW-based family as well as a better offer from the Jets led to his decision to depart Queensland.

Petratos?s agent Tony Rallis confirmed his client?s move, and also said there was a strong change that Petratos?s brother Kosta, currently at Perth Glory, will also join the Jets next season.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/brisbane/roar-midfielder-dimitri-petratos-signs-with-newcastle-jets/news-story/f5c5ac4e7f87cacbee36a3d8524adde5
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

goalfeast

Re: Roar midfielder Dimitri Petratos signs with Newcastle Jets
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »
Wow, that's disappointing.  Good luck to him though.  I'm sure we'll find a replacement.

David Gregory

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »
Well looks like Devante Cluts days might be numbered.
Even heard his manager (andy harper) on fox say he needs to lift his game on sunday.
Cant play football if you cant run.

Macka saves the day again.
Arana average.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:28:44 AM »
I'm not too upset at this. Dimi was with us for a good while (almost up to 100 appearances) and did win the title with us. Probably is best for him now to explore new surroundings and have a fresh start.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

Chico Raul

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
I'm not too upset at this. Dimi was with us for a good while (almost up to 100 appearances) and did win the title with us. Probably is best for him now to explore new surroundings and have a fresh start.
Personally I am very disappointed. In terms of our attack, I am a big fan of Dimi and Macca.
I just wonder what is going if Jets can make a better offer than Roar for next season.

dobo

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »
Personally I am very disappointed. In terms of our attack, I am a big fan of Dimi and Macca.
I just wonder what is going if Jets can make a better offer than Roar for next season.

I too am disappointed with this as i think we look better with Dimi out there than with holeman, But Aloisi was never going to give Dimi a start when Holeman was fit so it is a good move for Dimi, he needs to be starting.

I think that we would have been doing all we can to re-sign Jmac, i reckon that would have included committing a large chunk of the increase in the salary cap and keeping Dimi's contract low to offer Jmac a bigger contract.

we have some work to do replacing players for next season, Dimi gone, Devere, JMac, North and Broich, haven't re-signed yet, I expect Pepper, Arana and Katebian to not be offered contracts and Theo probably over it and not worth re-signing.

goalfeast

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »

1.  maybe coz the current Jets players are getting paid too much.  Lets face it not many of them would start at any other club.
2.  cashed up Chinese owners ;)

Harry H

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »
Best of luck to Dimi. Not surprised at this.

theoworldwide

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 06:10:30 PM »
It's not a good sign for a club to lose it's youth players. We've lost a lot of young players recently. Clut, Dimi, Jackson, Donachie. You could even include Lustica there.

The only reason I can think of is.... we don't give them games.

It's ok for the club to keep experienced players like North. But they shouldn't be playing 90 minutes every week. There is no rotation of youth. No opportunity. No wonder the younger guys walk out there door. I'm sick of it actually. Unless we turn around and replace Dimi with a proper AM (who is mid 20s with a big engine) then this is a big step backwards.

vando88

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »
Dimi's ball skills and technique are of a quality class and I've been a fan of his for that reason, however at the same time I've also been a harsh critic or him when it comes to decision making and his defensive skills. In a league where games are such a "see-saw" affair a players should always be defensively aware as much as offensively, and for that Dimi's flaws somehow rubs out his flare and technique. You'll notice, he gets brushed off the ball quite easily when he is in position to jockey the opponent whilst steadying the ball, to which he'll hardly ever retrieve the ball back again. In addition, as our current squad stands, you can assume he's not gelling well with Oar, Maclaren or even Borello and that also could've contributed to his departure.

IMHO much of our woes stem from the inability to play quickly because we lack the skillset to required to swiftly counter teams or to play through their lines, and as point since we will be in the market for midfielder, I couldn't stress enough how beneficial it is to find a player who is capable of passing and shooting on both feet, because in terms of positioning the player could essentially mitigate the time it takes to receive the ball or kick the ball on a preferred foot, it'd help distributing the ball swiftly from the midfield and unbalance defences.
Melbourne based Brisbane Roar supporter est. 2007

Dinoweb

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 10:48:57 PM »
I'm a Dimi fan. He's just starting to move into his best years, and despite his flaws, I'd rather see him playing for us than against us.

Signing players from Sydney is an ongoing issue though. Not many ever move away (domestically at least) for the majority of their careers. There's just too many clubs based within a couple of hours of Sydney who are prepared to lure the better ones back closer to home.

Queensland players for example, if they don't make it at the Roar, they have to move, with little likelihood of returning. Same goes for SA and WA, and to a slightly lesser extent Victoria.

It's one of the reasons I'm against another Sydney based team.
I see it, but I do not believe it!

Favourite Roar Moments
1 - 13/03/11 Roar 2 (4) CCM 2 (2)
2 - 4/05/14 Roar 2 WSW 1 (E.T.)
3 - 14/04/12 Roar 2 Perth Glory 1
4 - 6/11/10 Roar 4 Adelaide 0
5 - 22/3/14 Roar 1 Melbourne Victory 0
6 - 14/1/12 Roar 2 Sydney 1

Yowie Dude

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »

theoworldwide

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »
Haha. Best yet

miron mercedes

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 08:02:32 AM »
its not mojo he needs ....its a first touch.....and preferably away from the opposition instead of straight into them.
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

dobo

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 09:27:14 AM »
It's not a good sign for a club to lose it's youth players. We've lost a lot of young players recently. Clut, Dimi, Jackson, Donachie. You could even include Lustica there.

It's ok for the club to keep experienced players like North. But they shouldn't be playing 90 minutes every week. There is no rotation of youth. No opportunity. No wonder the younger guys walk out there door. I'm sick of it actually. Unless we turn around and replace Dimi with a proper AM (who is mid 20s with a big engine) then this is a big step backwards.

I would not expect to see a signing for AM next season (apart from possibly a young bench player). Dimi left because Aloisi was always going to play Holeman in that role (this season when not injured and next season), the writing was on the wall for Dimi, be happy to be a bit part player or leave. Im not saying a agree with Aloisi but if was Aloisi i would be looking to get in a 19-20 year old with potential to become a starter the season after next, someone that will push holeman for a starting spot towards the end of next season.

mellod

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »

I would not expect to see a signing for AM next season (apart from possibly a young bench player). Dimi left because Aloisi was always going to play Holeman in that role (this season when not injured and next season), the writing was on the wall for Dimi, be happy to be a bit part player or leave. Im not saying a agree with Aloisi but if was Aloisi i would be looking to get in a 19-20 year old with potential to become a starter the season after next, someone that will push holeman for a starting spot towards the end of next season.

You'd think that would be Nathan Konstandopoulos. I think he is on a scholarship contract at the moment. Hopefully he starts getting some game time soon.

theoworldwide

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »
With Holman our only 1 experienced AM next year, what happens when he is injured again? He's missed almost 10 games this year right? If we didn't have dimi I doubt we'd have gotten many points and would be a lot worse off.

So my position is ...Holman didnt exactly set the team on fire this year.  He also confirmed that he is prone to injury. No surprise at his age.  So i dont think we can depend 100% on him and u question why we have him at all.

The roar should stop signing multi year contracts for new signings.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:38:18 PM by theoworldwide »

dobo

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 01:02:25 PM »
With Holman our only 1 experienced AM next year, what happens when he is injured again? He's missed almost 10 games this year right? If we didn't have dimi I doubt we'd have gotten many points and would be a lot worse off.

So my position is ...Holman didnt exactly set the team on fire this year.  He also confirmed that he is prone to injury. No surprise at his age.  So i dont think we can depend 100% on him and u question why we have him at all.

The roar should stop signing multi year contracts for new signings.

I agree on some of these points, I havent been overly impressed by Holeman and really do question why we brought him in. but the fact is that he is here now so we have to deal with that. I dont think he is Injury prone, yes he has missed games this year but it wasnt an injury it was more just wear and tear from a long career. the clean out he has had should set him right for quite a while and shouldn't have many long term effects. I think he should be able to get through 90% of games next season. with (probably) broich, tommy oar, and either a replacement for Arana or Arana re-signing we have enough experience to cover CAM but should be looking for the long term replacement for these guys. A youngster that can push holeman and Mckay for their starting spots.

fulltilt

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »
the silly thing is that we had Ben Litfin who was QLD NPL 2016 golden boot winner with 19 goals in 20 games from the midfield and we asked him to leave. Go figure. 

mellod

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »
So he mustn't have signed anything as he will be completing a medical to sign for Ulsan Hyundai. Very strange turn of events.

http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/article/petratos-to-complete-medical-in-kore/17izse2evszpp1ouynb7frne20

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 204171
  • Total Topics: 7987
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10