Author Topic: Red B bulls looking at buying A League team or starting a new team  (Read 812 times)

BrynFC

Interesting prospect, they have run there teams well in Austria, Germany and the US

Brisbane Red Bulls, playing out of the Red Arena at Perry Park ::)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/03/06/red-bull-interested-buying-league-club-report

Also the Southern Sydney team with Les Murray, Craig Foster and the Chinese and 12mil capital has merit.

theoworldwide

Re: Red B bulls looking at buying A League team or starting a new team
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:59:32 PM »
Frustrating part is we have to wait unti 2018!

Harry H

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »
Roar Red Bulls...

BrynFC

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »
Frustrating part is we have to wait unti 2018!

Yup, its a long way away, well it feel that way to me.

The A-League is stagnate, it has been for a while

There has been limited growth of A league clubs and no B League, need to sack the whole FFA board and get a board  with balls

Having said that, I hope they decide to push for 4 teams instead of 2 if there are enough viable bids.

If they are ready and financed, then welcome aboard.

BrynFC

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 06:09:25 PM »
Roar Red Bulls...

Well, if they were real keen they could but the Roar, instead of setting up there own club.

although the name could come undone, if you said Balls instead of Bulls  ;D

coast

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:34:58 PM »
My bet is Red Bull to set up on the Gold Coast. Perfect fit for their image, stadium ready to go, fastest growing urban area in Australia.

Surf Lifesaving colours. 

I'm wondering about 4 teams in one season:

Red Bull GC
South Sydney
Geelong
The Gong

If the money was there, why not?  All these four bids look rock solid.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 10:28:33 PM »
My bet is Red Bull to set up on the Gold Coast. Perfect fit for their image, stadium ready to go, fastest growing urban area in Australia.

Surf Lifesaving colours. 

Red Bull GC
South Sydney
Geelong
The Gong

I can't see the FFA supporting a South Sydney AND a Wollongong/Illawarra bid in the next 4 intakes.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.164 W.82 D.36 L.46

Harry H

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 10:45:39 PM »
Roar Red Bulls...

Well, if they were real keen they could but the Roar, instead of setting up there own club.

although the name could come undone, if you said Balls instead of Bulls  ;D

Ohh LOL to funny,,,, Haha Great comment mate i can imagine it to. :))

mongie

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 07:43:57 AM »
A lot will have to do with what Foxtel are willing to pay for extra teams. If they add enough for the FFA to pay the new teams the same amount they're paying the old teams ($6m?) then all will be OK, but the other clubs aren't going to take a pay cut so that an extra 4 teams can be added.

Personally, I think they need to organise the "B League" first, and just run the first two years with promotion but no relegation (for two teams a year). It's a great way to build up the B league, cause the teams with money will throw it into the B League.

dobo

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »

Surf Lifesaving colours. 

Red Bull GC
South Sydney
Geelong
The Gong

Gold coast would be a good fit for red bull but i think GCU killed all goodwill that the gold coast has towards the a-league and FFA has towards the gold coast. i cant see the FFA letting a club go back to the gold coast or a while. i think FFA will only allow 2 new teams in the next expansion and south sydney are almost a lock on one of those spots given how much of a hard on the FFA have over them. geelong look like the likely second. personally i think it should be 4 new teams Tassie, Ipswich, Woolongong, and perhaps Geelong (maybe canberra if they can get commercial and government support)

Chico Raul

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
It would make more sense for Red Bull to buy out the Bakries.
I read about expansion but really scratch my head in wonder about talk about another team in the SE Queensland area.
What makes anyone think that Brisbane Strikers, a Gold Coast team rising like a phoenix from the ashes, or a team out of the Ipswich area can succeed?
Women's AFL has a higher profile in this area than football. Not to mention Rugby league.
It just looks to me that the lunatics running the A League asylum see the Melbourne and Sydney derbies and jump to the conclusion that all football needs is derby games.
I can see that another team in Sydney might work. But SE Queensland. Nah!

Finsta

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 12:19:59 PM »
A lot will have to do with what Foxtel are willing to pay for extra teams. If they add enough for the FFA to pay the new teams the same amount they're paying the old teams ($6m?) then all will be OK, but the other clubs aren't going to take a pay cut so that an extra 4 teams can be added.

Personally, I think they need to organise the "B League" first, and just run the first two years with promotion but no relegation (for two teams a year). It's a great way to build up the B league, cause the teams with money will throw it into the B League.
What are we thinking a good size of the HAL is before pro/rel? 16/18/20??
I'm thinking 18 at least.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

Finsta

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
I read about expansion but really scratch my head in wonder about talk about another team in the SE Queensland area.
What makes anyone think that Brisbane Strikers, a Gold Coast team rising like a phoenix from the ashes, or a team out of the Ipswich area can succeed?
Women's AFL has a higher profile in this area than football. Not to mention Rugby league.
It just looks to me that the lunatics running the A League asylum see the Melbourne and Sydney derbies and jump to the conclusion that all football needs is derby games.

I think second Brisbane or outskirts of Brisbane team is worth a taking a chance on now. We need more "local" Queensland competition IMO and it's still gonna be a while before GC or NQ are ready to join the big dance again.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

dobo

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 02:52:32 PM »

Why do you think a team out of Ipswich wont work? The area definitely has a distinct identity (they dont identify as brisbane)but is close enough to maintain a rivalry and probably get support from the western brisbane population. It has a reasonably large population with a high growth rate, 200,000 currently, predicted to at least double in the next 10-15 years. As a comparison it is currently the size of hobart and expected to grow larger than newcastle, canberra, central coast. if you add in the western suburbs of brisbane then that is already quite a large market. It has support from the local government (https://www.qt.com.au/news/council-to-throw-full-resources-behind-a-league-bi/3153354/?ref=hs). Local clubs are generally well supported out there, spirit, knights, pride and bulls all get reasonable crowds this should transfer over well to the national stage where the region really has never been represented.

As long as they actually play out of their own stadium as suggested in the link (a 10-15k seater), then i think it has every chance of succeeding.

BrynFC

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »

I think second Brisbane or outskirts of Brisbane team is worth a taking a chance on now. We need more "local" Queensland competition IMO and it's still gonna be a while before GC or NQ are ready to join the big dance again.
[/quote]

I think its worth a chance as well, would it work, not sure, buts worth a shot, and maybe an Ipswich team would be better than a Brisbane based team. "who knows who it would play out)

But its bloody boring playing the same teams all the time and a South East Brisbane clash would be something new.

B League has to be the next step after the "Extra 2" teams, if that happens

BrynFC

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »

Why do you think a team out of Ipswich wont work? The area definitely has a distinct identity (they dont identify as brisbane)but is close enough to maintain a rivalry and probably get support from the western brisbane population. It has a reasonably large population with a high growth rate, 200,000 currently, predicted to at least double in the next 10-15 years. As a comparison it is currently the size of hobart and expected to grow larger than newcastle, canberra, central coast. if you add in the western suburbs of brisbane then that is already quite a large market. It has support from the local government (https://www.qt.com.au/news/council-to-throw-full-resources-behind-a-league-bi/3153354/?ref=hs). Local clubs are generally well supported out there, spirit, knights, pride and bulls all get reasonable crowds this should transfer over well to the national stage where the region really has never been represented.

As long as they actually play out of their own stadium as suggested in the link (a 10-15k seater), then i think it has every chance of succeeding.

I was still typing away while you posted, the Ipswich area is a quick growing area with lots of young kids and families, and its not Brisbane, so you have that divide.

I still believe if we had another brisbane team, one team has to be south or north of the river.. you have to have a divide between the two teams ;)

but like you pointed out, the Ipswich team need a 10-15k stadium, which would most likey be shared by the ipswich jets league team

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2046
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205416
  • Total Topics: 8049
  • Online Today: 33
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0