Author Topic: Berisha  (Read 658 times)

Septic Bladder

Berisha
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:29:24 PM »
Can some one explain how it is possible for Berisha to play for two national teams?

My understanding is that he had played 17 times for Albania, so how does he now get to play for Kosovo?

I get that he was born there and that Kosovo is newly admitted to EUFA, but still rules are rules.

roarlady

Re: Berisha
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:41:39 PM »
I believe that Kosovo was given special dispensation to recruit players even though they may have already played for another nation - due to their difficult circumstances emerging from civil war.

theoworldwide

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 12:57:44 AM »
It's a great story for Berisha. He gave up international football with Albania .... so for him to play for kosovo despite their very long odds of qualify suggest this is something very personal for the guy

spongebob

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 09:29:17 PM »
I was half expecting a rumour we were going to re-sign him when i saw the subject.

goalfeast

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:12:05 AM »
I'm sure he's not the only one to have played for another country and now Kosovo.   Considering they have only been Fifa country for a couple of days I have no problem.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
Best of luck to him for NT duty. No doubt it will be a super proud moment for him.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.164 W.82 D.36 L.46

David Gregory

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:45:38 PM »
Can some one explain how it is possible for Berisha to play for two national teams?

My understanding is that he had played 17 times for Albania, so how does he now get to play for Kosovo?

I get that he was born there and that Kosovo is newly admitted to EUFA, but still rules are rules.

I quick history lesson would show that Kosovo became an  independant country. Fifa accepted Kosovo to participate in all future competitions.
As with previous new fifa members players born in that country are eligible to play irrespective if the had played for another country previously.
Many examples one of notewas  Davor Suker who represented Jugoslavia before winning golden boot for croatia in 1998.

Septic Bladder

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:46:50 PM »

I quick history lesson would show that Kosovo became an  independant country. Fifa accepted Kosovo to participate in all future competitions.
As with previous new fifa members players born in that country are eligible to play irrespective if the had played for another country previously.
Many examples one of notewas  Davor Suker who represented Jugoslavia before winning golden boot for croatia in 1998.

An invalid example.

Yugoslavia disappeared and Croatia was a constituent part of it.

Albania still exists and Kosovo was not part of it.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2046
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205416
  • Total Topics: 8049
  • Online Today: 33
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0