Author Topic: NPLV creating a B League with or without FFA  (Read 487 times)

theoworldwide

NPLV creating a B League with or without FFA
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/soccer/national-second-division-is-kicking-off-with-or-without-ffa-20170311-guw6lx.html

Some NPLV clubs are creating a B league with or without the FFAs support.....

Thoughts?

Orange Emperoar

Re: NPLV creating a B League with or without FFA
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »
If they can start the development of the league without input from the FFA at the start, then negotiate a merger later on, I can't see a problem.
If it is their intention to undermine the FFA, then they are doomed to failure.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

BrynFC

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »
Hopefully it does get an independent body to run it and not just the clubs.

Im all for this, it'll make our youth stronger and give more youngsters a chance to show case at higher level.

Even better would be a C League in 5-7 years after implementing a merged b League.

The Premier League is a different body to the other leagues in the UK, so it could work.

Then promotion relegation :)

theoworldwide

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:35:15 PM »
It seems like they will do promotion relegation with NPL state leagues. ....somehow...maybe via a playoff like the championship.....It would create huge drama for those teams fighting to be in the b league. I'd definitely be there to support brisbane clubs challenge.

theoworldwide

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:46:27 PM »
I think there is no question this will be great for clubs, players and fans.....but how will they fund the increased travel costs? For me this is the only sustainability issue.... I'm assuming player salaries won't change either...as I don't think they should.

I'm sure some clubs like south's with their club memberships and external income can afford it. But the open nature of pro rel will mean some low income clubs will be involved over time.

I'd argue there will be no tv money or viewership...which limits sponsorship income...  there is talk of canibalising the inone paid to the ffa from state npl bodies....which was 1.8 million for FFV last year

BrynFC

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 05:01:27 PM »
Good point about the no TV money,

It shouldn't be the hard to get ABC or SBS to pick up the rights, wouldn't be a lot of money, but better than nothing, no need to show all games, maybe just a 20% of the games.

One of the budget airlines should/could pick up the travel as a league sponsor, the would help somewhat.

I can't see how they could increase the wages for semi pro players, although it would mean a semi pro player will have to take a Friday off to fly interstate for a Saturday match.

I don't think money from the FFA should go to this potential league, as that money should be for grass roots football

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 09:08:14 AM »
My biggest concern is funding. As it stands I feel many NPL (and Football Brisbane) clubs charge exorbitant fees for their juniors.

I can only see clubs gouging this area more to stay competitive in the senior league.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
I suspect there are a few clubs with connections to some people with plenty of money, and they feel that this is good enough to qualify them to play on a bigger stage. The issue comes when those connections simply refuse to stump up the cash when it is needed. We see that already in the A-league, not least with our own club.
There are a few clubs that have successful money-making operations at their clubs that may be able to maintain a semi-professional club to some extent, but are there enough of these clubs around Australia to make a competition?
I think a better way for a promotion opportunity to be provided at this stage is to work it into the FFA Cup somehow for a few years. Participants have won their local leagues and composite leagues. If they can then beat an A-League club or two and show willing, they should then be then tested for other factors and let in if they pass.
A full scale A2-league doesn't seem feasible at the moment.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

theoworldwide

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
I think there is enough strength in NPL clubs to make this happen ....I'm bullish about it. The growing professionalism of the FFV and how they are engaging social media gives me confidence that the organisation to support a B league is within reach.

The league doesn't have to mirror the a league in any way... it doesn't need TV coverage or network media.... I do think they need to go big on social media live streaming. Stream 1 or 2 games live on Facebook for free a week to create advertiser potential. With low player salaries it's just the travel costs and filming costs that sponsors need to cover. The clubs would need to pool their existing administration and media teams as a shared resource.

I find the FFA cup integration idea confusing. I think better off keeping it simple like the English structure. The cup can still exist...it becomes more of a test to compare A and B league teams so we know how wide the quality gap is. I'd argue it would be the litmus test for deciding if pro rel is ready (from a football perspective only).

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:28:03 AM by theoworldwide »

fulltilt

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 01:12:25 PM »
I think there is enough strength in NPL clubs to make this happen ....I'm bullish about it. The growing professionalism of the FFV and how they are engaging social media gives me confidence that the organisation to support a B league is within reach.

The league doesn't have to mirror the a league in any way... it doesn't need TV coverage or network media.... I do think they need to go big on social media live streaming. Stream 1 or 2 games live on Facebook for free a week to create advertiser potential. With low player salaries it's just the travel costs and filming costs that sponsors need to cover. The clubs would need to pool their existing administration and media teams as a shared resource.

I find the FFA cup integration idea confusing. I think better off keeping it simple like the English structure. The cup can still exist...it becomes more of a test to compare A and B league teams so we know how wide the quality gap is. I'd argue it would be the litmus test for deciding if pro rel is ready (from a football perspective only).

I agree.... the FFV seems to have its act together, with many clubs showing weekly highlights and media nouse. Also playing in a B league will soon separate those clubs who really can step up (cost wise) and those who thought they could but soon realized they were mistaken. The competition could very easily sit alongside the A league and not cannibalize it at all. In this day and age of disruption to the way viewers consume media I can see the potential for many to be able to follow the competition though a number of social media channels so coverage could work.

The ethnicity, to be frank, is what gives the FFV clubs tremendous atmosphere and support, both vocal and financial.  You don't want to lose that, but need to mindful of that being a sticking point should a link be made between the two leagues for promotion and relegation in the future.

I reckon the concept is great for the game and great for those young players who often fall through the cracks and give the game away because of limited teams in the A league and positions being given to 35 year old players retiring in Australia but still being able to pull $250K of salaries.

BTW - a quick glance at the FFV will show that it already is a big attraction for QLD players wanting to get closer to the A League spotlight - a B League would provide that chance for visibility to be spread wider.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »
I think the greatest strength that this setup has is that it will (hopefully) not be bound by as many parameters as the A-League does. By that I mean it looks like the HA is almost a closed institution that will only cherry pick new ideas/expansions etc if it serves their agenda.

The feeling I get from the NPL revolution is that there'll be much less red tape and it will be more about who's got the money to compete and from there let the clubs take care of themselves. One big positive is that although yes it will be tragic if a clubs pull out from time to time, it should not affect the overall status of the competition and it should continue to move forward in a positive direction. In this regard, that is where the FFA seems to have their hands tied as they can't afford to take risks now on clubs that could fold.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:41:41 PM by Finsta »
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

Harry H

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 02:42:06 PM »
The victorian NPL is in the smallest state in Australia ( f**k the ACT) with the 2nd largest population. Of course it's a no brainer. Players have seen the writing on the wall with the VNPL for a few years.. How long will it take the FFA to catch up?  PLayers in the VNPL are on the books earning up to $1500+per week in season, with super payments  etc.

theoworldwide

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 203661
  • Total Topics: 7969
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14