Author Topic: Iraq vs Australia - 23/3/17 - WC Qualifier - Shahid Dastgerdi Stadium  (Read 696 times)

Roary

• Year of Brisbane Roar!
    • 3D Warehouse (3D Models)
Shahid Dastgerdi Stadium, Tehran, Iran
Thursday, 23rd March 2017
Kickoff 4:30pm (IRAN), 10:00pm (QLD)
Coverage on FS 505HD from 9:30pm QLD (Pre Game) & GO! from 9:30pm QLD
&

Streams
Will appear on matchday

>> Match Centre <<

>> Australian Squad <<

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
King of them All!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Septic Bladder

Re: Iraq vs Australia - 23/3/17 - WC Qualifier - Shahid Dastgerdi Stadium
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:56:30 PM »
A very Roar performance.

Maybe a 48 team World Cup isn't such a bad thing.

theoworldwide

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 12:01:47 AM »
What went well / wrong?

scribbo

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 12:31:12 AM »
Very lucky to get away with the draw, we are too predictable playing out all the time, have to mix it up a little bit, no long balls even in crap conditions.

Septic Bladder

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »
I think the Angie magic is starting to wear off.

Away from home, a bad pitch, wet conditions and he changes the formation and insists on playing ticky taka from the back all the bloody time!

Brings on Cahill, whose one trick is to head the ball in, but he still plays bloody ticky taka!

What I don't buy is the fact that he keeps bring in new players - how many players has he blooded now?  With so few NT games how do you build consistency. He has has gone way over what is needed for backups.

This is proving to be a very tough group. We have 3 out of 4 remaining games at home which will help. Still think that a team like Saudi can implode at any time. But the odds of us heading to the play offs are getting shorter.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:13:09 AM by Septic Bladder »

dobo

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
Very lucky to get away with the draw, we are too predictable playing out all the time, have to mix it up a little bit, no long balls even in crap conditions.

we were way too impatient with our playing out that was the problem, the few times when we played 4 or 5 or more passes across our back line, moving them around and being patient, waiting for the opening we eventually found the opening (usually Irvine or Mooy) and created chances. when we tried to play the ball forward first time from the back is when we got in trouble, we ended up turning the ball over, with all our players rushing forward they countered easily and played the ball into the spaces left empty by kruse and leckie (and the rest of our mids) bombing forward.

We conceded because we were too impatient. Mooy took a free quickly, missed the mark and hit the keeper, we were way too slow to react, all our players had bombed forward, they counter into the empty space out wide and kill us.

the equation is simple now, we need to win all our games, beat the UAE and we should at least get 3rd, beat Saudi and we go even on points with them, beat Japan and its a 3 way tie for 1st with Japan and saudi and Japan playing on the final match day and us playing Thai.

Septic Bladder

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 10:16:09 AM »

we were way too impatient with our playing out that was the problem, the few times when we played 4 or 5 or more passes across our back line, moving them around and being patient, waiting for the opening we eventually found the opening (usually Irvine or Mooy) and created chances. when we tried to play the ball forward first time from the back is when we got in trouble, we ended up turning the ball over, with all our players rushing forward they countered easily and played the ball into the spaces left empty by kruse and leckie (and the rest of our mids) bombing forward.

We conceded because we were too impatient. Mooy took a free quickly, missed the mark and hit the keeper, we were way too slow to react, all our players had bombed forward, they counter into the empty space out wide and kill us.

the equation is simple now, we need to win all our games, beat the UAE and we should at least get 3rd, beat Saudi and we go even on points with them, beat Japan and its a 3 way tie for 1st with Japan and saudi and Japan playing on the final match day and us playing Thai.

I wish it were simple.

The probability of getting maximum points from remaking games is low imo.

We will have to rely on Saudi or Japan dropping points against other teams as well.

coast

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 11:24:27 AM »
Horrible performance, inept strategy.  Ange has lost the plot. 

Realistically, the best we can hope for is third place playoff.  This is not a good team.  Mooy is allegedly our shining light, and look at him - slow, error prone and poor in decision making.  I'll eat my hat if he cuts it in the EPL.  Or, should I say, make Ange eat my hat, because that will be a judgement on his coaching.

coast

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »
We are on the edge of failing to qualify.  In Ange we trust.  Yeah, right.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »
This was the perfect game where Ange needed to take caution and make sure the players were best prepared to take 3 points.

In an away game... Against desperate opposition.. On a shitty pitch... It's raining... YOU DO NOT PLAY A NEW FORMATION WHICH EXPOSES OUR DEFENSIVE STRUCTURE..

I know Ange's mantra is to "have a go" but there are times when you have to be smarter than that. I feel we're in danger of imploding because Ange is very singleminded and he hasn't shown to be the type who wants to take ideas onboard too much but rather stick to his own "plan".. That's all well and good if/when you have the players that can fulfill his wishes and against inferior opposition.

Bottom line, had we played that formation against a higher rated opponent with better finishing skills we would've lost handsomely.

Super critical game coming up against UAE!!

A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

coast

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
This was the perfect game where Ange needed to take caution and make sure the players were best prepared to take 3 points.

In an away game... Against desperate opposition.. On a shitty pitch... It's raining... YOU DO NOT PLAY A NEW FORMATION WHICH EXPOSES OUR DEFENSIVE STRUCTURE..

I know Ange's mantra is to "have a go" but there are times when you have to be smarter than that. I feel we're in danger of imploding because Ange is very singleminded and he hasn't shown to be the type who wants to take ideas onboard too much but rather stick to his own "plan".. That's all well and good if/when you have the players that can fulfill his wishes and against inferior opposition.

Bottom line, had we played that formation against a higher rated opponent with better finishing skills we would've lost handsomely.

Super critical game coming up against UAE!!

Agree 100%

dsfarrell

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 01:25:04 PM »
Wrong thread but cant find one for Saturdays game,  anyone any idea what crowds will be for double header?  Pax?

Septic Bladder

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »
I fear that Ange may have the early stages of Wenger disease - a very chronic debilitating illness.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »
I fear that Ange may have the early stages of Wenger disease - a very chronic debilitating illness.
Both have similar issues. The vision is there but the right cattle to make it a reality is not.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

Septic Bladder

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
In today's Courier Mail Ange is reported to have said:

1. That re refuses to compromise his playing style
2. His new formation as played against Iraq is the only way forward
3. That anyone one seeking pragmatism will have to wait for the next person in charge.
4. That he only briefed the players about the new playing style on Monday!

What a total load of naive crap!

If he continues in this vein, we'll crash out of Qualifying.

I find such comments outrageous.

You set up your team according to personnel available, the venue, the opponents and the state of the competition.

Just watch all the other teams sit deep and catch us on swift counter attacks.

coast

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 03:38:46 PM »
In today's Courier Mail Ange is reported to have said:

1. That re refuses to compromise his playing style
2. His new formation as played against Iraq is the only way forward
3. That anyone one seeking pragmatism will have to wait for the next person in charge.
4. That he only briefed the players about the new playing style on Monday!

What a total load of naive crap!

If he continues in this vein, we'll crash out of Qualifying.

I find such comments outrageous.

You set up your team according to personnel available, the venue, the opponents and the state of the competition.

Just watch all the other teams sit deep and catch us on swift counter attacks.

He always was at risk of becoming captive to his own hubris.  Looks like that is exactly what has happened.  He's crossed the line between self belief and self delusion.

Chico Raul

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 06:39:54 AM »
As an aside, Dane Ingham was on the bench for New Zealand's win against Fiji in their World Cup Playoffs. 

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 203040
  • Total Topics: 7951
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 25
Total: 31