Author Topic: Future of Australian Football  (Read 1924 times)

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
Re: Future of Australian Football
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »
I missed the game this morning but from all reports we really gave it a nudge and played a pretty good game. We had chances to get 2 goal winning margin to progress but alas we didn't convert.

Strong showing considering that Ange left Mooy and Rogic on the bench too.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

Septic Bladder

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 01:55:05 PM »
Great game - we soaked up enormous pressure in first 30 minutes but then we then took the game to them and you could see that Chile were rattled.

Great goal from Tinkerbell Triosi and if Macca had not botched another one of Triosi's delicate little chip passes we might have won.

Lots of spirit and effort on display which now gives me renewed hope for WC qualification.

Great display from Ryan in goal.

mellod

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 02:15:40 PM »
Agree. Much better performance. Looked much more solid at the back which is no small feat considering the opposition.

Kruse, Maclaren and Sainsbury all had golden opportunities which they should have finished (Sainsbury can be forgiven as I don't really expect him to be able to hit a decent volley).

We looked much quicker without Rogic and Mooy. Lots of one touch passes, moving the ball quickly up field. I feel like Mooy takes too long to make a decision and expects the opposition to give him the time he needs.

We pressured every time they had the ball and managed to force quite a number of turnovers. Irvine, Troisi and Milligan were standouts.

Chico Raul

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
For once no-one was talking much about the three at the back. A topic which has upset a lot of people.  I was not one of them, but I am happy with the three that played against Chile. They seem to work well together. I am more than happy with Ange and what he is doing and the way that the team is progressing. This has been good preparation for the Japan game.
 We had enough opportunities to win the game and lacked quality in front of goal. The issue still remains regarding the lack of quality. As in players playing regularly at the highest possible level they can. 
I loved it when Fozz went on about putting Chile to the sword, even though it was a huge exaggeration. Especially given Chile just needed a draw / not lose by two, it was not even a flesh wound.
We did well, and there were some great performances, but really Fozz! Put to the Sword?
Starting off it looked like we were set up to make the use of height advantage relying on dead balls but that was not how it turned out.
We so dominated the midfield that Chile really resorted to route 1 long ball stuff. It was a real vindication of what Ange is trying to do.
Should Mile Jedinak get his spot back? Would we have been more effective with him on the field?
He will be not far off 34 by the next World Cup.

Finsta

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »
After that performance it seems like there'll be extra pressure and heat put onto the likes of Jedinak, Mooy and Rogic to up their game to better fit in with "Ange's" Socceroos. As was the case with Brisbane, the team is much greater than the individual and everyone has to work super hard for the tactics to bear fruit. The question is: Is Jedinak to slow moving across the park now? Is Mooy's distribution too predictable/slow/attention seeking? Is Rogic a defensive liability if we want to defend from the front?

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but there's always the case of possibly having great players that simply don't fit into the current system.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

Septic Bladder

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2017, 04:33:34 PM »
I have always thought Mooy's style of play to be laborious and am amazed how highly he is rated in England and Jedi is now past it.

Rogic still has a role depending on the oppsition due to his ability to score spectacular goals. I see him trading places with Triosi.

Septic Bladder

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2017, 04:34:52 PM »
Whats the story with Spiranovic?

mellod

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 05:54:55 PM »
Whats the story with Spiranovic?

Relegated to the Chinese second division. No word on him moving anywhere else yet.

Chico Raul

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 06:15:45 PM »
I have always thought Mooy's style of play to be laborious and am amazed how highly he is rated in England and Jedi is now past it.

Rogic still has a role depending on the oppsition due to his ability to score spectacular goals. I see him trading places with Triosi.
When I asked about Jedinak it was meant as a bit of a rhetorical question.
I was really surprised how Mooy struggled against Cameroon because I would have thought playing well in the Championship would have required ability to deal with the physical side. Obviously not! He struggled with Cameroon, although some of the stuff dished out in the game was over the top. Literally.   Perhaps the heavy season for him affected him and he was lacking freshness,  but  I think he will struggle in the EPL. He needs to improve.
Against Chile we had a team with plenty of warriors  and that was a key for us. Luongo, Milligan. McGowan, Cahill, Irvine  in particular. Mooy is not a warrior.
So of the three, I agree that Rogic is the one that has the most to offer. He can add a bit of an X factor and has a sweet left foot. Mooy is a maybe. Jedinak has been a great servant but coming to the end of his representative career  and was not missed in these three games in my opinion. 
I guess we are going to need different types of players against different teams, and we are evolving to a situation where the National Team is based on a set of core characteristics and beliefs, but is much more multi dimensional  than in the past. We had three very different teams to play in the Confederations Cup requiring different approaches. Japan is a different team again. 
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I look at Germany, and the depth and quality they have available to them is scary.
All the same. Great job Ange. Bring on Japan. Let's hope for a better performance than the one down in Melbourne last year. We need a win. This comp will have helped us improve for that game.

Chico Raul

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
 Four-Four-Two has reported that Adelaide has taken the extraordinary step of calling back its young players from the Olyroo squad.
https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/adelaide-to-withdraw-olyroos-players-467638

Finsta

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2017, 10:24:16 AM »
Four-Four-Two has reported that Adelaide has taken the extraordinary step of calling back its young players from the Olyroo squad.
Apparently a massive bluff because according to the License agreement between the FFA and all HAL clubs, the clubs must make players available for these types of things.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

Chico Raul

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »

Apparently a massive bluff because according to the License agreement between the FFA and all HAL clubs, the clubs must make players available for these types of things.

More on the conflict between Adelaide and our young national teams.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/07/06/wheels-falling-off-adelaide-wagon/
It is not as if the A league has started as yet so its a great time for young players to be away with national teams. Quite possibly a bluff  as you say Finsta or sheer loopyness. I suspect it is down to antagonism between Adelaide and Gombau.
I don't enjoy seeing this sort of dysfunction anywhere within the A League but  there is a sadly reassuring parallel with what we have experienced when it came to the departure of a club legend and a strained relationship with the fans and general "wheels falling off" behaviour. We certainly had had our fair share.
None of this is good for the future of the game. But hey! Look at Cricket at the moment!

Chico Raul

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2017, 08:08:30 AM »

More on the conflict between Adelaide and our young national teams.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/07/06/wheels-falling-off-adelaide-wagon/
It is not as if the A league has started as yet so its a great time for young players to be away with national teams. Quite possibly a bluff  as you say Finsta or sheer loopyness. I suspect it is down to antagonism between Adelaide and Gombau.
I don't enjoy seeing this sort of dysfunction anywhere within the A League but  there is a sadly reassuring parallel with what we have experienced when it came to the departure of a club legend and a strained relationship with the fans and general "wheels falling off" behaviour. We certainly had had our fair share.
None of this is good for the future of the game. But hey! Look at Cricket at the moment!

Adelaide backflip.

Chico Raul

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2017, 12:56:25 PM »
Yeboah has been given a chance to break into the Gladbach first team would would be great in terms of the Moscow WC if he gets game time. Although I recall he is eligible for Ghana too
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/07/17/yeboah-handed-first-team-squad-number-gladbach

Australian striker Kwame Yeboah is on the brink of first team breakthrough with Borussia Monchengladbach, as three years of perseverance finally begins to pay off.

The 23 year-old Brisbane Roar product, who recently signed a two-year contract extension, has been assigned the squad number 39 for the 2017-2018 Bundesliga season in a vote of confidence from coach Dieter Hecking.

And, after a long apprenticeship with Gladbach's second string, he featured in the weekend's pre-season Telekom Cup tournament, showcasing champions Bayern Munich, Werder Bremen and Hoffenheim.

Yeboah, whose only two previous senior appearances were in pre-season practice games, played the whole of an abbreviated clash against Hoffenheim which Gladbach lost on penalties after the game finished 0-0.

It's a major step forward for the former Olyroo, as he put behind him a stop-start couple of years to claim 10 goals in 28 appearances in Germany's fourth tier last season.

Yeboah will now be training each day, and competing for game time, with the likes Germany international striker Lars Stindl, Brazilian Raffael and Belgium star Thorgan Hazard.

Having finished ninth last season, Gladbach begin their Bundesliga campaign on 20 August against Hoffenheim, with friendlies against Nice, Nurnberg, Malaga and Leicester still to come, plus the DFB Pokal against Roy-Weiss Essen.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 203902
  • Total Topics: 7973
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10