Author Topic: Can We Get a Win against the Antlers?  (Read 2189 times)

dobo

Re: Can We Get a Win against the Antlers?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 09:31:44 AM »
Big win and it keeps our hopes of the next stage alive, great stuff. I guess the so called dead horses did alright tonight  8)

Haha sure i'll take the points,,, was at the game with the other 10 people and we was lucky to get the points Dave... Not sure how it looked on TV!!!
I was one of the other 10 at the game.
Lucky Harry?
As in Perth were lucky to beat us?  As in they took their chances and we didn't at the weekend?  It's all down to Macca in both games. And their star number 9 got dragged don't forget!
We started well in both halves. They came back at us later on in both halves and they had the one that trickled against the post in the first half. And a header that went wide.
They were better after they made the double substitution and the number six that came on also scored.
We made subs hoping to hang on and with half a mind on the next game. Daggers made a nuisance of himself. Brady looked overawed.
Their left back was awesome and won just about everything. The right back stuffed up for our goal. Swings and roundabouts.
It was a nervous 15 minutes at the end and Ange would be disappointed (as I was) that we held on and ran down the clock rather than dominate and finish stronger. But a win is a win!!
Last night we achieved a win in the ACL against a top Japanese outfit which is something Ange was not able to achieve with Roarcelona. I am glad to be one of the 10 (five and a half thousand)  witnesses.
For us this was a finals level game come early and an indication of how we might go.
I will watch the replay before my man of the match. But Papa was immense.
This business of not showing the replay on the big screen is really annoying. It really defeats the purpose of the screens. Might as well switch them off altogether and save the planet.
Pitch was not great.

The difference between Ange's team and JA's is that Anges team knew what to do with possession when that had it. Mate one time there Papa got walked around by their winger like he was a witches hat.. And they went very close to scoring. Aside from that Papa was good as he usually is. Their finishing was poor but they created plenty. Not taking anything away from Maccas goal it was a great finish. They had 19 shots to our 11. They had 12 corners to our 4, and they had 55% possession. There is a hint of luck there.

no doubt that they had more possession (though this was skewed by the final 10 of each half which kash absolutely dominated) and more shots but we had much more effective possession. shots on target 3 (bris) to 4 (kash) our crosses were much more dangerous (even if we had fewer) mostly in behind the defence. the biggest difference between the two sides was fitness,we ran out of legs by about the 70th minute which is worrying, where they started turning the screws (the same towards the end of the first half). this definitely has to do with the age of the squad and not really having the bench depth for players to come on and pick up the whole team. though i am growing on daggers in the 10 role he is starting to look like he belongs in the first team but still has a long way to go, oar was ineffective (possibly due to the long injury lay off), so was brady.

in years gone by we have had real threats to come off the bench, (henrique, borrello, petratos, yeboah, halloran) which allowed us to really ramp up the pressure towards the end of games. now we really dont have the depth and that will limit our chances in both the ACL and the finals.

JA has some work to do in the off season, must re-sign callettie, find a replacement for Macca (as he is more than likely headed OS), find a replacement for broich (though i think Oar is the plan there with broich playing bit parts), re-sign papa or replace him, replace pepper, arana, katebian, petratos lots of work for him to do.

Murk

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 10:35:47 AM »
If only we could get Ange to attend all our games. He certainly drew almost the best out of some of our aspiring players.
Incidentally I thought Oar and his speed did contribute.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 11:11:04 AM »
I think this game also showed us that the team can most definitely compete with any team in the HAL and that we'll be a decent danger side in the finals coming up.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.164 W.82 D.36 L.46

Paolo

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »
I believe it also shows what our teams could do in an equal footing situation, I mean with some support with FFA with scheduling etc.
OK , we were at home this time, but it would mitigate 6-0 and 3-0 floggings, and give the teams a chance to progress further.... it also drives home the need for a deep squad for any team with ambitions ...

P.

roarsome

• Peace...through superior firepower!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
You would think now we are still alive in the ACL and barring a catastrophe of results on weekend, the FFA would schedule our home elimination final on the Friday/Saturday night to give us most amount of time to travel to Thailand for the game on 26th. There are no Reds or Broncos home games, so its open slather.

coast

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 02:39:26 PM »
Nice result.  Didn't see the game due to other commitments.

I'm way out of town, so mid week games are nigh on impossible for me to get to, sadly.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2046
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205416
  • Total Topics: 8049
  • Online Today: 33
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1