Author Topic: Broich confirmed leaving at end of season  (Read 2678 times)

Yowie Dude

Re: Broich confirmed leaving at end of season
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 10:10:32 PM »
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:12:15 PM by Yowie Dude »

Chico Raul

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 06:46:11 AM »
I understand he is a club a legend but he is well past his prime and it showed in many performances this season albeit that he had a couple of blinders in recent games.

Many have been whinging about all the over 30's in the first eleven but now you whinge because the oldest hasn't been kept!

All club legends eventually move on - other wise a team will turn into a nursing home.

Did Liverpool keep Gerrard? Did Chelsea keep Lampard?

As for joining the coaching staff - he is s complete novice. He needs to get some certificates and some experience before he joins an a League team with limited resources and playing staff.
Its always sad when a legend's time is up but I totally agree with you on this one . Better a year too short than a year too long

Bugger, definitely the best player the league has ever had, and probably the best player I'll ever see in orange.

My whole family have been huge fans, and more often than not, the prospect of seeing number 22 has brought them along when they would otherwise have stayed at home.

I've never subscribed to the idea that age is a barrier. If you're good enough you're old enough cuts both ways in my book.

That said, Thomas is not the player he was three years ago. I totally agree with Miron, better one year too short.

I'm also glad the announcement has been made. It's highly likely this will be his last Lang Park appearance and I, for one, can't wait to give him the send off he deserves.

Can the club retire his number? They damn well should.
Broich has been brilliant and still shines.
Not only is he quality, but also versatility with the ability to play down the left wing or behind the front three. Seems we are losing two players and not one, and need two to replace him.
With Oar to cover one half of Thomas and Holman covering the other half. 
With both being on marquee wages and both with Socceroo pedigree, it speaks volumes for just how good Thomas has been and how hard to replace.
With Mackay also  at the club, and still commanding a decent wage one would think, making Thomas some sort of offer without insult would have been problematic.
Thomas has been so good that the cost of replacement under the cap rules seems a large part of the reason that he has not been made any sort of offer.
Throw in the cost to keep one or two younger ones and sadly it seems like a no brainer.
..................Love your work again YD.

mellod

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 07:23:14 AM »
So Aloisi didn't know what he could offer until salary cap calculations were finalised? I really hope that means that Aloisi has some big plans/signings coming and doesn't mean new/improved deals for the likes of Pepper/Arana.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
JA's having a press conference this morning which will be livestreamed on Facebook. Just waiting for it to kick off.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

Harry H

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2017, 10:38:19 AM »
I understand he is a club a legend but he is well past his prime and it showed in many performances this season albeit that he had a couple of blinders in recent games.

Many have been whinging about all the over 30's in the first eleven but now you whinge because the oldest hasn't been kept!

All club legends eventually move on - other wise a team will turn into a nursing home.

As for joining the coaching staff - he is s complete novice. He needs to get some certificates and some experience before he joins an a League team with limited resources and playing staff.
Its always sad when a legend's time is up but I totally agree with you on this one . Better a year too short than a year too long

Bugger, definitely the best player the league has ever had, and probably the best player I'll ever see in orange.

My whole family have been huge fans, and more often than not, the prospect of seeing number 22 has brought them along when they would otherwise have stayed at home.

I've never subscribed to the idea that age is a barrier. If you're good enough you're old enough cuts both ways in my book.

That said, Thomas is not the player he was three years ago. I totally agree with Miron, better one year too short.

I'm also glad the announcement has been made. It's highly likely this will be his last Lang Park appearance and I, for one, can't wait to give him the send off he deserves.

Not only is he quality, but also versatility with the ability to play down the left wing or behind the front three. Seems we are losing two players and not one, and need two to replace him.
With both being on marquee wages and both with Socceroo pedigree, it speaks volumes for just how good Thomas has been and how hard to replace.
With Mackay also  at the club, and still commanding a decent wage one would think, making Thomas some sort of offer without insult would have been problematic.
Thomas has been so good that the cost of replacement under the cap rules seems a large part of the reason that he has not been made any sort of offer.
Throw in the cost to keep one or two younger ones and sadly it seems like a no brainer.

He would have taken a massive pay cut to stay. Your making it up as you go. The cap is the excuse. I just watched the live switch. If JA could articulate better he may also coach better.

scribbo

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »
What did he have to say?

Finsta

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2017, 10:58:32 AM »
What did he have to say?
On Broich:
* JA has great relationship with him. Good friends.
* JA said that Broich had come to them a few weeks back to say he was keen to play on (earlier on Broich hadn't made a decision on retiring or playing on). JA said nothing had been guaranteed but that there were Cap issues to be worked through. It was Broich who made the decision to leave.
* JA was asked if there were any problems and he said no. Stated he had called Broich the other night to check up on him and ask if all was well and Broich told him it was all good and lets concentrate on the upcoming game.
* Nothing but respect for Broich but that peripheral stuff has to wait as full concentration required for WSW game and everyone at the club including Broich is hungry to win the title.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

Harry H

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
What did he have to say?
On Broich:
* JA said that Broich had come to them a few weeks back to say he was keen to play on (earlier on Broich hadn't made a decision on retiring or playing on). JA said nothing had been guaranteed but that there were Cap issues to be worked through. It was Broich who made the decision to leave.
* JA was asked if there were any problems and he said no. Stated he had called Broich the other night to check up on him and ask if all was well and Broich told him it was all good and lets concentrate on the upcoming game.
* Nothing but respect for Broich but that peripheral stuff has to wait as full concentration required for WSW game and everyone at the club including Broich is hungry to win the title.

Just one thing,, What was JA's answer when the jurno asked if he'd spoken to the team as a whole about it. The answer was NO. ???As for JAs answers about thomas, do you think he was going to say anything else??? Thomas is THE Fan fav.

Finsta

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »
What did he have to say?
On Broich:

Just one thing,, What was JA's answer when the jurno asked if he'd spoken to the team as a whole about it. The answer was NO. ???As for JAs answers about thomas, do you think he was going to say anything else??? Thomas is THE Fan fav.
But do you really want JA and the players to have a Deep & Meaningful about Broich with only a couple of days to the biggest match of the season so far?

The more I think about it, this "News" is absolutely shit timing and the blame for that can only lay with Broich.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

Chico Raul

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2017, 11:18:41 AM »

He would have taken a massive pay cut to stay. Your making it up as you go. The cap is the excuse. I just watched the live switch. If JA could articulate better he may also coach better.
Making it up as I go Harry................................?
You are right. I am just trying to work through the news as best I can and yes sure I am speculating and making my own observations like a lot of people.
If you have the inside running please share.
Basically what JA said was it is complex set of circumstances and I am sure it is. Again, just my reading of it. Others may read it differently.
It sounded like JA was caught a little of guard by Thomas announcing quite recently that he wanted to stay. Again, just my reading of it. Others may read it differently.
JA also stressed that he has a good relationship with Thomas. I take that at face value. Thomas doesn't look the kind of guy that would make it hard for JA. More cynical people may read that differently.
A lot of people seem to be using this to beat the anti JA drum.
Third in the A League two seasons in a row. Still in the ACL. Everything to play for despite very trying circumstances. Some memorable performances along the way. Some exciting young players coming through.  I think JA is doing all right. He has already surpassed what I was expecting at the start of the season.
This site has been full of negative comments about the age of the team. But as soon as JA indicates he is transitioning from old order to new he get criticised.
I am sad to see Thomas leaving. Half of me is still hoping it will not happen. The other half is accepting that it inevitable.
Perhaps we need to focus on WSW now. Again. That is just my opinion. 

BrisbaneDave

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
What did he have to say?
On Broich:

But do you really want JA and the players to have a Deep & Meaningful about Broich with only a couple of days to the biggest match of the season so far?

The more I think about it, this "News" is absolutely shit timing and the blame for that can only lay with Broich.

No, the blame lays with the Roar management for treating a club legend like shit. Aloisi pretty much said we were too stupid to understand the salary cap........... what a shit excuse.

Harry H

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »
What did he have to say?
On Broich:

Fin i credit you with more intelligence then this! Could you imagine Alex ferguson not getting the playing group together and saying it 's this guys last home game lets do it for him,,, or some cheesey line like that... You are the one who wanted a D&M mate. No me I'm all for a 5min talk and a laugh with some back slapping and get on with it to clear the air. Maybe JA sees it as adding tension to play better..

BrisbaneDave

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »
Mckay did not deserve a contract extension, but got one and has been poor all season, literally can not pass one metre. Cost us the premiership last season as well.

Harry H

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »

Making it up as I go Harry................................?
You are right. I am just trying to work through the news as best I can and yes sure I am speculating and making my own observations like a lot of people.
If you have the inside running please share.
Basically what JA said was it is complex set of circumstances and I am sure it is. Again, just my reading of it. Others may read it differently.
It sounded like JA was caught a little of guard by Thomas announcing quite recently that he wanted to stay. Again, just my reading of it. Others may read it differently.
JA also stressed that he has a good relationship with Thomas. I take that at face value. Thomas doesn't look the kind of guy that would make it hard for JA. More cynical people may read that differently.
A lot of people seem to be using this to beat the anti JA drum.
Third in the A League two seasons in a row. Still in the ACL. Everything to play for despite very trying circumstances. Some memorable performances along the way. Some exciting young players coming through.  I think JA is doing all right. He has already surpassed what I was expecting at the start of the season.
This site has been full of negative comments about the age of the team. But as soon as JA indicates he is transitioning from old order to new he get criticised.
I am sad to see Thomas leaving. Half of me is still hoping it will not happen. The other half is accepting that it inevitable.
Perhaps we need to focus on WSW now. Again. That is just my opinion.

I said jacks season was finished I told you Thomas was going. I thought this was sharing. But you guys just wanna believe the lies and cover ups. I just told you he would take a massive pay cut and you totally over looked it. You gave a club rant instead. Sharing here has finished. Good luck next year BRFC.

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »
Mckay did not deserve a contract extension, but got one and has been poor all season, literally can not pass one metre. Cost us the premiership last season as well.
When Mckay is off form or not playing, you will see the whole performance of the team drops. Even in the games we win. Mckay has been such a pivotal part of the team for so long, that his performance or absence has such a large affect. When you see Mckay on game and performing well, you can almost guarantee a win.
So I believe he deserved a contract extension. He's 34 though, so he should be expecting lower salaries, and if he thinks he can get more elsewhere then I wouldn't mind if he moved on, club legend and all.
Yes, his poor performances are becoming more common, but I still think he has a lot to offer, but for this final series I hope he is only used as a sub in Melbourne. I also hope that the captaincy is passed on to someone else (Kristensen?) for next season.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
Ah, so just a David Gregory alias then. Thought you were a bit cranky Harry.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

Finsta

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 12:06:30 PM »
This thread is all about opinions on a very emotional issue for us all. There will always be extra scrutiny thrown at members of the forum who advise they have "inside" word. Majority of the time it's because in the past there has been plenty who've preached that they know things but in the end it has been shown up as their own opinion only.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

medley

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
This thread is all about opinions on a very emotional issue for us all. There will always be extra scrutiny thrown at members of the forum who advise they have "inside" word. Majority of the time it's because in the past there has been plenty who've preached that they know things but in the end it has been shown up as their own opinion only.

Harry's inside info was correct re Broich and the 3 stooges. I too brought this up  a few weeks ago.
It's not just opinion.
They simply don't want him in the team.
He is more than just a great player but a mentor to the youngsters, you can see that in the warm ups.

Murk

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
To Harry and Medley:

Are we to infer that Broich did not like the style of football JA was pressing and used his influence to try to get back to a more possession style? Certainly comments he has made suggest he didn't appreciate the direction that had been taken? Was there some kind of players' revolt as perhaps Mulvey faced?

Chico Raul

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »
To Harry and Medley:

Are we to infer that Broich did not like the style of football JA was pressing and used his influence to try to get back to a more possession style? Certainly comments he has made suggest he didn't appreciate the direction that had been taken? Was there some kind of players' revolt as perhaps Mulvey faced?
I did not mean to ignore Harry's comments specifically. As I said above, I am just trying to make sense of what I read and see myself and sharing my interpretation.
I assume that most people are doing the same, and so if someone has inside information to share, it really would help by providing some context around where it has come from.
Otherwise it will get and obviously has got lost in the noise.
One of the things I did was join the dots ...... and it is purely my interpretation.
Mackay and Broich currently get marquee wages. Broich's contract is running out. Mckay is contracted until next year and remains captain. Two newbies are coming in as marquee players. So if one out of Mckay or Broich  is to make way, it was always going to be Broich. Presumably McKay still wants a hefty sum.
But if there really is more to it, then please don't throw out one liners and please provide a bit more meat on the bones.
When I saw Thomas and JA talking on the touchline during the NIX game it looked like a coach and senior player consulting.
As I said. I just go off what I see and hear and try to figure it out. 

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 204187
  • Total Topics: 7988
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11