Author Topic: Ankle injury forces club legend Thomas Broich to pull out of planned farewell  (Read 1001 times)

mellod

THOMAS Broich has played his last game for the Roar, with the star playmaker ruling himself out of Brisbane?s AFC Champions League match against Ulsan Hyundai at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday night due to an ankle problem.

Roar medical staff had cleared Broich to play, with the club having promoted Brisbane?s season-ending match as the chance for fans to farewell the two-time Johnny Warren Medallist.

However, a lingering ankle issue had been playing on Broich?s mind since the Roar?s A-League semi-final loss to Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park eight days ago.

He made the final call at training on Monday morning.

?I rocked up to training still hoping that I?d be all right but it?s just too painful at the moment,? Broich said.

?There?s no reason to push it now.?

Roar managing director Mark Kingsman was disappointed that Broich had declared himself unfit, claiming there was no danger of further damage to the ankle had he had played on Wednesday night.

?The club wanted him to play and were expecting him to play,? Kingsman said.

?It?s a shame because all the fans wanted to come to say goodbye to him.?

Broich, who last month revealed he was leaving the Roar due to not being guaranteed a contract for next season, plans to be at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday to say thanks to Brisbane fans.

?I want to say goodbye and express gratitude towards a lot of people,? the 36-year-old club legend said.

Broich made 203 appearances for the Roar in all competitions and was a major factor in the club winning three A-League championships.

Brisbane?s other departing star, prolific striker Jamie Maclaren, is set to start against South Korean outfit Ulsan, whose squad is expected include former Roar attacking midfielder Dimitri Petratos.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/roar-disappointment-as-ankle-injury-forces-club-legend-thomas-broich-to-pull-out-of-planned-farewell/news-story/f1afe9f3658285bfc52e2970e7f1e2e6

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
Bugger...
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

medley

Cant say I blame him.
I think its Kingsman, Moore and the Aloisi's that want to say goodbye to him not the fans.

mongie

Now that Borello is leaving, can we keep him?

Chico Raul

Now that Borello is leaving, can we keep him?
You'd like to think something could be worked out but I doubt it works that way.
In fact the opposite is more likely. Unless Brady steps up remarkably, and I don't hold my breath, the problems just got worse.
As a young player I doubt it Brandon was on a lot.
The best thing I can say is that by knowing that he is going now rather than last thing before next season gives the opportunity to recruit.
So Dimi, Thomas, Brandon, and Macca gone/going. The end of excitement as we know it.

mongie

I'm not too worried about Broich leaving now... I'm just sad that it's come on bad terms.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2049
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 204439
  • Total Topics: 7996
  • Online Today: 16
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0