Author Topic: Roar have signed Fahid Ben Khalfallah  (Read 1998 times)

mellod

Roar have signed Fahid Ben Khalfallah
« on: May 26, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »
MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Welcome to Brisbane FBK

Friday, 26 May 2017

Brisbane Roar Football Club are excited to announce the signing of former Tunisian international forward Fahid Ben Khalfallah for the Hyundai A-League 2017/18 season.

The versatile Championship winning playmaker joins Brisbane after three seasons at Melbourne Victory, where he made 76 appearances, scoring 12 goals and creating 15 assists.

Head Coach John Aloisi believes the addition of the experienced front man known as ?FBK? will bring a unique blend of class and attacking intent to the Roar side.

?Fahid?s experience and versatility will strengthen our already talented squad,? Aloisi said.

?His ability to play out wide or in the middle of our attack gives us greater unpredictability and creativity that will excite our fans.

?Most importantly though, we believe he will suit our style of play.?

The French-born-and-raised winger came to Australia after a distinguished career in France, including 76 appearances over four seasons for Ligue 1 giants Girondins Bordeaux, a team he joined for a fee of 5 million euros in 2010.

Brisbane?s new recruit said the opportunity to continue to play in the Hyundai A-League with one of the most successful team?s was a challenge he would relish.

?I?m very happy to sign with Brisbane. It was an easy decision to come to a Club that has won many Championships and Grand Finals,? Ben Khalfallah said.

?As soon as John Aloisi called me I told him yes straight away.

?I wanted to play for a big club with great players, and in my opinion, Brisbane is one of the biggest clubs in Australia.

?I am here to help the Roar win trophies in the 2017/18 season.?

Ben Khalfallah arrived in the Hyundai A-League before the 2014-15 season and made an instant impact, winning the Victory Player of the Season award after his maiden campaign in Australia.

Khalfallah will arrive in Brisbane for pre-season training in early July when Brisbane?s preparations for the Hyundai A-League 2017/18 campaign get underway.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
Re: Roar have signed Fahid Ben Khalfallah
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »
Interesting development
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

miron mercedes

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »
as my son pointed out...lets hope Broich doesn't go to Victory ...however I am happy with FBK as a signing.
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

Herbielives

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »
Seriously!!!

He's 34 years old

Oh well at least we know the boss sticks with his guns and signs old players

What a waste

Seriously so many young players available overseas and we end up with another old bloke

Wow!!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:14:56 PM by Herbielives »

mongie

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 06:07:19 PM »
He's proven... I'm guessing he's not going to be on a massive contract. It's a one year deal. I don't mind it.

Kingy

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »
I am really hoping he sits on the bench and comes on as an impact player. Clearly not a long term solution and at 35 years old, he probably shouldn't be in our starting XI.

We still need a quality number 9 and right winger (assuming Borello is gone). PLUS re-sign Pappa and Caletti and maybe snag Marinkovic or Dimitrejevic for midfield depth.

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 07:44:58 PM »
Aren't our chances of playing Asia good again? This bloke instead of Arana has to be a good thing. He gets a full preseason with us and should get a fair bit of game time through the season. Good bit of depth with proven player instead of another punt on a possible Corona from Spain.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

theoworldwide

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 11:34:27 PM »
It doesn't matter what way you spin it. He's 34. Will be 35 for most of next season.  A great talent in his prime but that is arguablly his past.  JA is good enough to grind out 3rd with ex star players. But he is not building a squad for the future. He is building a squad to keep his job year by year.

Chico Raul

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »
It doesn't matter what way you spin it. He's 34. Will be 35 for most of next season.  A great talent in his prime but that is arguablly his past.  JA is good enough to grind out 3rd with ex star players. But he is not building a squad for the future. He is building a squad to keep his job year by year.
Age is a concern, but I think it is more that JA has a two player for each spot concept. Rightly or wrongly, Oar is the number on left wing prospect at the moment being the marquee and all that.
There was no-one coming through for this spot last year, though of course Broich could play that position. But enough has been said about Thomas going.
Based on his performances against us in our 1-0 win when I though he was best Victory player on the park, and his effort against us in the semi, he still has something to offer.
What he lacks in sprightliness he will make up for in guile. And offers alternatives to Tommy Oar and adds depth.
I think JA is still saving what dollars he has for a striker and RW, so doubt if FBK has a large sum coming his way. FBK is heaps better than Arana with the incentive of something to prove.
Players have a habit of trying to score against their old clubs. I would love to see that!
The other side of losing Thomas is his influence on the younger players has been lost. That is quite possibly bigger than the on field loss.  FBK's stats (7 yellows last season) is not the influence I would want to see, but if he can provide a positive influence off the park, that will be a good thing. A bit more fearlessness on the park is one thing Thomas said Roar is lacking.
All in all I think this is a great signing. The caveat as with any older player is keeping injury free.

theoworldwide

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »
I doubt he'd be cheap. He left victory over money didn't he?.... will he play rw for us?

He's definitely superior to oar. 

miron mercedes

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »

Since when is 34, or even 35, too old ?
There are many players playing in top European leagues who are as old or older ...Totti anyone ? ...remember we only play a short season and it is played at a much slower pace than Europe so age is not such a problem as people make out.
The possession style of play these days and protection from dangerous tackles also prolongs a players productive life .
FBK is a proven quality foreign player who has already adapted to the A-league. I think he is a very sensible choice by JA.
Do you guys really think coaches just pick these players on a whim ?
JA has obviously been watching and cultivating him for a while as evidenced by their friendship after games last season etc  so I am sure he has considered how he can use him, how he will fit into the dressing room , what he may bring to younger players ...etc etc etc
Have a little faith ....everyone (including me ) whinged about Hervas ,and to a lesser extent Arana, well in FBK he has someone with runs on the board.
I said two years ago that even though JA is a little green as a coach he is ambitious and willing to learn....I think he is learning every day and therefore is a keeper.

Lets face it 2 consecutive third place finishes is pretty good from a rookie coach...and he will only get better with time and experience. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:37:40 AM by miron mercedes »

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

mellod

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
I doubt he'd be cheap. He left victory over money didn't he?.... will he play rw for us?

He's definitely superior to oar.

He was apparently linked with the Jets and a Victorian NPL club. Don't think he would be demanding much of a wage.

He is primarily a left winger, but I think can play across the front three or as an attacking mid. I'm hoping he will be used as a utility attacker off the bench.

While I think he could do a job starting, I don't think he is an improvement over Borello, so it wouldn't be a make a run at the Premiership kind of signing.

theoworldwide

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
Loving the optimism miron.

Fbk is no doubt a good signing. For his age he is in great shape. But if he was not in decline, victory would not have released him. Not unless there was a personal issue.

Age bashing isn't my point. Its just an externality of what I'd like to see happen - which is seeing the speed of play increase.

coast

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »
Seems a bit odd to have let Thomas go, only to sign FBK.

My hunch is that he's been signed as a 10. That is his preferred position, I understand.  Thomas doesn't work as a 10; maybe that's the difference.

Jeez we've got an old run on 11, assuming FBK is in it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:46:01 PM by coast »

miron mercedes

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 04:06:41 PM »
Loving the optimism miron.

Fbk is no doubt a good signing. For his age he is in great shape. But if he was not in decline, victory would not have released him. Not unless there was a personal issue.

Age bashing isn't my point. Its just an externality of what I'd like to see happen - which is seeing the speed of play increase.

I know what you are saying...and there is no doubt he is in decline....anyone over about 29 is (mind you the current fastest man in the world is nearly 31 years old ).
I guess it depends on how quickly he is declining and also how much his experience can offset any drop off in speed and explosiveness .These are the two things you lose first with age.
Endurance is not such an issue with ageing as you don't lose that very quickly if you stay fit.
I agree with you re wanting to see the speed of the game increase ,but to me the best way for that to happen is to receive and pass quicker. That doesn't rely on speed in the legs as much as speed between the ears ,technique and knowing where your next pass is before you receive the ball .
FBK has those assets in abundance.

Herbielives

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »
ok, Im confused...If this guy has been brought in to cover for Oar...I thought Oar was brought in to replace Broich....now it's being said that he is Broichs' replacement?

Oar is gonna be on top $$$$ next year so we need a cover for him?????????
Holman is also a marque so cover for him also???
I'm a bit confused by this.
I can't see that he has come here for small $$$ so why not just keep Thomas for another year? Surely a deal could have been done - unless they had no intention of retaining Broich at all.
This guy is too old. yes he has expereince but he is 35 for god sake.
I still think we could have signed a younger player from overseas and gotten a few years out of them.
Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than for him to be our saving grace. I want us to win at all costs as everyone else does but I just dont see the logic in it.

This is not building for the future

mellod

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 10:31:13 PM »
You can't build for the future in this league. Young players who do well don't stick around.

If we chose to play and develop a bunch of youth players, they would be signing elsewhere by the time they were developed enough to win us the league. It would be an endless cycle of developing players, selling them and not getting the results we want.

Some teams get lucky and can sell on their prospects (Borello), but most of the time they will leave for nothing. That's the reality of this league.

theoworldwide

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 04:15:17 PM »
I've been thinking about your last points.

We've seen the majority of our youth team players dissappear into the npl abyss. Some of them go no where. I.e. liftin, yango etc. Others make it out into the hal or abroad, I.e Jai Ingham.

In Croatia dinamo Zagreb academy players sign career long contracts. They send their players out on loan for nearly nothing. Or if they are sold players pay the club a small % everytime they sign a new contract throughout their career.

This ensures the club has funding for its academy.

The roar releases players into the NPL for nothing. I say roar youth should be on such contracts. They are free to go to the NPL for nothing. But if they eventually get signed, we get just rewards. Similar to HECS.

Right now the roar academy is not operating like a business. But if it did their would be more motivation for owners to invest.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 04:19:46 PM by theoworldwide »

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 08:32:20 PM »
I've been thinking about your last points.

We've seen the majority of our youth team players dissappear into the npl abyss. Some of them go no where. I.e. liftin, yango etc. Others make it out into the hal or abroad, I.e Jai Ingham.

In Croatia dinamo Zagreb academy players sign career long contracts. They send their players out on loan for nearly nothing. Or if they are sold players pay the club a small % everytime they sign a new contract throughout their career.

This ensures the club has funding for its academy.

The roar releases players into the NPL for nothing. I say roar youth should be on such contracts. They are free to go to the NPL for nothing. But if they eventually get signed, we get just rewards. Similar to HECS.

Right now the roar academy is not operating like a business. But if it did their would be more motivation for owners to invest.

It's tight enough at most clubs currently to sign senior players so I can't see them shelling out loads on youth players. Let's not forget that there's a salary cap in place so I'm not sure how that all works together.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.160 W.82 D.34 L.44

theoworldwide

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 09:08:21 PM »
Something would be better than nothing...

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 204169
  • Total Topics: 7987
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 14
Total: 15