Author Topic: Brisbane Roar vs Melbourne Victory - 09/08/2017 - FFA Cup R32 - Perry Park  (Read 5403 times)

cottonjaws

I'm a bit worried for the season - when you put last years team up against this years team it's hard to see where we have likely improved but pretty easy to see where we have declined.
Still the season hasn't started and maybe JA knows exactly what he's doing, he definitely taking a big roll on the dice, but maybe the club has cut funding so he is in the clear?
 At this point I think the only way we make the top 6 is if we miss out on the ACL.

Yowie Dude

jamboree

It looked like 4-2-3-1 against victory (hingert and brown full backs, brady and ingham wingers).
2nd half looked better with 3 CM's (caletti, oxborrow and McKay) but it made us unbalanced with skapetis and Holman operating wide right there was little left penetration other than brown.

JA is trying the 5/3 at back in the off season which more sense than halfway through the season or world cup qualifiers like Ange.

Agree with concerns over the CM - McKay and Caletti lost the battle. Mckay is giving the ball away a lot more.

My main concern is our ability to play through a press and our own press. Teams like Sydney and MV put us defence under pressure and we make too many mistakes. Luke devere has struggled but is not the only one. Hingert gave the ball away time and again last year with risky passes. We lack the ball players to play through it eg Corona.

Our own press has gone out the window. We allowed victory to get the ball to troisi without significant pressure. We were not tight on their ball players. 5-2-2-1 may make this worse by opening up on the quick counter or sitting too deep if wingbacks are back.

Positively, Maccarone may be able to hold the ball more, take the pressure off our defence, bring other players into play and shift the goal scoring around. Skapetis could be very useful with his pace and goals. Holman looks much sharper. Oxborrow has got a great long range passing game to work with.

Chico Raul

I'm a bit worried for the season - when you put last years team up against this years team it's hard to see where we have likely improved but pretty easy to see where we have declined.
Still the season hasn't started and maybe JA knows exactly what he's doing, he definitely taking a big roll on the dice, but maybe the club has cut funding so he is in the clear?
 At this point I think the only way we make the top 6 is if we miss out on the ACL.
We know this much. JA's priority is A League first, ACL second, FFA cup third.
If we are outside the 6 come ACL qualifiers then priority will be making the 6.
Arguably if you are not top 2 then A League finals is likely out of reach and an ACL run more attractive  but think JA will prioritize top 6.
Re knowing what he is doing, pesonally I think the Big Mac gamble is a mistake.

theoworldwide

Not to late to sign carusca

Poor Holman runs like there's no fluid in his knees anymore. Looks damn painful.

Iyo who is retiring this year?
Surely mckay, holman, TK and possibly north? Although north seems to be the best natural athlete so maybe he could go again.

mellod

Not to late to sign carusca

Poor Holman runs like there's no fluid in his knees anymore. Looks damn painful.

Surely mckay, holman, TK and possibly north? Although north seems to be the best natural athlete so maybe he could go again.

I asked on Twitter and Marco seems to think that they are keen to bring one more player in. No mention whether it was a visa spot or position.

Orange Emperoar

If I had my druthers, Mckay would not be in the team anymore. He started losing his influence in the season before last, and really showed how his poor performances can drag the whole team down last season.
I wouldn't have signed Holman, even with a few good goals and some fine play, he didn't contribute enough throughout the whole season.
Based on his entire season, I would say TK has at least one more season of high influence left in him after this one, so I would hope he continues his good form and stays.
North has worth beyond his actual ability. I think he is still one of the best organizers on the field and can read play very well. He works better with Theo, so I hope Jamie starts clicking with him as well. But North's age is beginning to tell, so I would so this is his last season, and he may become more of a backup option as the season progresses, especially after Bowles gets back to match fitness around round 10.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

Chico Raul

4 0 loss to WSW
Consistent at least?

theoworldwide

The wsw squad didn't look full strength of paper?

Chico Raul

Depending on the report we were belted, battered, and thrashed. All of the above.
I guess you could point to key players missing, but doesn't that translate to lack of depth.
My key concern was the report about the lack of impact of Big Mac.
Is he Mensur Kurtishi in disguise?

theoworldwide

If he cant beat players in behind, he's going to have to drop deeper into mf. He'll be isolated all year otherwise

coast

We're fucked.

Only plus is that with so many players coming off contract, the new coach can go for a rebuild next season.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:40:37 PM by coast »

noodles

I suspect this season will show the real quality of JA. personally, ive never liked him.However, he's the coach, gotta respect him.
This season is probably the first full season where any of what was left of the old regime, style or even players/team is now all but gone and whatever remains is purely JA's doing.
I suspect it's going to be a loonnnnggg season with many painful afternoons in the suncorp stadium queensland hear.

theoworldwide

I may have to start a 2nd drinking habit 😃

If we play a back with TK I think we won't leak too many. Hopefully there is an AM to come. Honestly think a good signing there would change everything for us

Fixer

If we play a back with TK I think we won't leak too many. Hopefully there is an AM to come. Honestly think a good signing there would change everything for us

TK is not the answer at the back , neither is a back 3 , our full backs Brown and Hingeart are average in a 433 formation but not quick or clever enough to play 343.
Caletti and McKay also too slow to cover the gaps left by a 343 set up .

Chico Raul

TK is not the answer at the back , neither is a back 3 , our full backs Brown and Hingeart are average in a 433 formation but not quick or clever enough to play 343.
Caletti and McKay also too slow to cover the gaps left by a 343 set up .
I am also wondering about the wisdom of 3 4 3. It almost seems to be a leap of logic based on the fact that we have 3 decent centre backs and JA does not want one on the bench. There would need to be a better reason. Given the age of Papa and Jado, and given De Vere's injury history, figuring out which one to bench is unlikely to be the problem. Fielding a fit side will be much more of a problem.
Whether 3 4 3, or 4 3 3 or variations in between, Roar have failed to  replace Maclaren, Broich, Borrello, Oar and Petratos.  Whilst each had their weaknesses, the newbies are not up to scratch compared to those guys. Never mind better quality which is what we really need.
What we have is Skapetis, Gameiro, FBK, Big Mac and rose tinted expectations of Brady and D'Agostino. Oh boy!
FBK will bring some of the quality that Broich had, but he was never go to be a 27 x 90 minute man.  And still never a Thomas Broich.
I am not sure if Skapetis will be an  adequate replacement for Borrello. But all in all he seems the most exciting of our pick ups.  Assuming he is injury free.  Perhaps Gameiro will go ok too. Early signs are that Roar are being super cautious with his fitness. Fingers firmly crossed.
As for Big Mac being a 20 goal a season striker, I think we will be majorly disappointed. I am afraid the horse has bolted and we are stuck with it. I don't normally quote the Don, but it was a dumb decision. It's true.
So yep. We need to pick up more attacking quality for sure. Most likely left side of the park. Energetic, pacy, reads the game well, a leader, creative, capable of scoring, capable of pressuring the opposition. As If!! In our dreams!!
Hopefully we can bow out the ACL with some dignity, and try to get by in the A League with some pride left.
Because basically we will be playing for pride.
Please oh please JA prove me wrong. I will be delighted if someone pulls up this post in May 2018 and tells me what a total idiot I am.

denzele

If anyone's wondering about Borello and Mclaren ( remember them  ;D ) so far 3 rounds played Borello was on the bench unused all 3 games . Mclaren only featured in 2nd  game for 20 minutes or so . I know it's early to make any comments but honestly I excepted a bit more minutes for each . Hope they get to play more . 

theoworldwide

I mistyped. ..I meant to say if we stick with a back 4 with tk as dm we will concede less than if we try to play our antiquated players as a back 3.

coast

If anyone's wondering about Borello and Mclaren ( remember them  ;D ) so far 3 rounds played Borello was on the bench unused all 3 games . Mclaren only featured in 2nd  game for 20 minutes or so . I know it's early to make any comments but honestly I excepted a bit more minutes for each . Hope they get to play more . 

Given them time.  They get a start and do well, everything changes.

denzele

If anyone wants to go on 28/8 Monday game against China U22 National Team at GC tickets are free . Get them tru Ticketek .

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2046
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205416
  • Total Topics: 8049
  • Online Today: 33
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2