Author Topic: Brisbane Roar vs Melbourne Victory - 09/08/2017 - FFA Cup R32 - Perry Park  (Read 1563 times)

cottonjaws

I'm a bit worried for the season - when you put last years team up against this years team it's hard to see where we have likely improved but pretty easy to see where we have declined.
Still the season hasn't started and maybe JA knows exactly what he's doing, he definitely taking a big roll on the dice, but maybe the club has cut funding so he is in the clear?
 At this point I think the only way we make the top 6 is if we miss out on the ACL.

Yowie Dude

jamboree

It looked like 4-2-3-1 against victory (hingert and brown full backs, brady and ingham wingers).
2nd half looked better with 3 CM's (caletti, oxborrow and McKay) but it made us unbalanced with skapetis and Holman operating wide right there was little left penetration other than brown.

JA is trying the 5/3 at back in the off season which more sense than halfway through the season or world cup qualifiers like Ange.

Agree with concerns over the CM - McKay and Caletti lost the battle. Mckay is giving the ball away a lot more.

My main concern is our ability to play through a press and our own press. Teams like Sydney and MV put us defence under pressure and we make too many mistakes. Luke devere has struggled but is not the only one. Hingert gave the ball away time and again last year with risky passes. We lack the ball players to play through it eg Corona.

Our own press has gone out the window. We allowed victory to get the ball to troisi without significant pressure. We were not tight on their ball players. 5-2-2-1 may make this worse by opening up on the quick counter or sitting too deep if wingbacks are back.

Positively, Maccarone may be able to hold the ball more, take the pressure off our defence, bring other players into play and shift the goal scoring around. Skapetis could be very useful with his pace and goals. Holman looks much sharper. Oxborrow has got a great long range passing game to work with.

Chico Raul

I'm a bit worried for the season - when you put last years team up against this years team it's hard to see where we have likely improved but pretty easy to see where we have declined.
Still the season hasn't started and maybe JA knows exactly what he's doing, he definitely taking a big roll on the dice, but maybe the club has cut funding so he is in the clear?
 At this point I think the only way we make the top 6 is if we miss out on the ACL.
We know this much. JA's priority is A League first, ACL second, FFA cup third.
If we are outside the 6 come ACL qualifiers then priority will be making the 6.
Arguably if you are not top 2 then A League finals is likely out of reach and an ACL run more attractive  but think JA will prioritize top 6.
Re knowing what he is doing, pesonally I think the Big Mac gamble is a mistake.

theoworldwide

Not to late to sign carusca

Poor Holman runs like there's no fluid in his knees anymore. Looks damn painful.

Iyo who is retiring this year?
Surely mckay, holman, TK and possibly north? Although north seems to be the best natural athlete so maybe he could go again.

mellod

Not to late to sign carusca

Poor Holman runs like there's no fluid in his knees anymore. Looks damn painful.

Surely mckay, holman, TK and possibly north? Although north seems to be the best natural athlete so maybe he could go again.

I asked on Twitter and Marco seems to think that they are keen to bring one more player in. No mention whether it was a visa spot or position.

Orange Emperoar

If I had my druthers, Mckay would not be in the team anymore. He started losing his influence in the season before last, and really showed how his poor performances can drag the whole team down last season.
I wouldn't have signed Holman, even with a few good goals and some fine play, he didn't contribute enough throughout the whole season.
Based on his entire season, I would say TK has at least one more season of high influence left in him after this one, so I would hope he continues his good form and stays.
North has worth beyond his actual ability. I think he is still one of the best organizers on the field and can read play very well. He works better with Theo, so I hope Jamie starts clicking with him as well. But North's age is beginning to tell, so I would so this is his last season, and he may become more of a backup option as the season progresses, especially after Bowles gets back to match fitness around round 10.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 204167
  • Total Topics: 7987
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12