Author Topic: Is it Brisbane's Turn..  (Read 2635 times)

coast

Re: Is it Brisbane's Turn..
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
Kingy, I've wondered why that is too...as more communication was an original promise from ja and kingsman.

Why did they chance their attitude?

Maybe they think there is no pleasing us. Or maybe they see supporters as peripheral noise.

Would be nice to hear more from them. The most affective PR would be if ja opened up.

WW, I have a background in advertising and PR.  Invariably, organisations stop communicating when they are in trouble.  It is never, ever, a good sign.   All the signs point to issues within the club, and I strongly suspect they sheet home to a chronically under resourced operation.

Kingy

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »
Kingy, I've wondered why that is too...as more communication was an original promise from ja and kingsman.

Maybe they think there is no pleasing us. Or maybe they see supporters as peripheral noise.

Would be nice to hear more from them. The most affective PR would be if ja opened up.

WW, I have a background in advertising and PR.  Invariably, organisations stop communicating when they are in trouble.  It is never, ever, a good sign.   All the signs point to issues within the club, and I strongly suspect they sheet home to a chronically under resourced operation.

To be fair on Kingsman, he did release what was probably the most comprehensive update from a managing director that club has ever seen a few weeks ago which was a good initiative.

I think the lack of communication from the football department is the biggest issue, and I agree with Coast. Cutting off lines of communication with the fans is never a good thing, I think its mainly the Aloisi's and Moore trying to shield themselves from fan criticism and backlash but there could be a more sinister side to it.

A great example of this missing communication is the absence of so many players from pre-season games. Surely an update from the club would put the fans at ease. I don't even know whats wrong with Papa and FBK, all we know is they are somehow injured.

MonteCristo

• Two feet, studs up
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 12:36:28 PM »
We'll be scraping around for a finals spot.

mellod

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »

To be fair on Kingsman, he did release what was probably the most comprehensive update from a managing director that club has ever seen a few weeks ago which was a good initiative.

I think the lack of communication from the football department is the biggest issue, and I agree with Coast. Cutting off lines of communication with the fans is never a good thing, I think its mainly the Aloisi's and Moore trying to shield themselves from fan criticism and backlash but there could be a more sinister side to it.

A great example of this missing communication is the absence of so many players from pre-season games. Surely an update from the club would put the fans at ease. I don't even know whats wrong with Papa and FBK, all we know is they are somehow injured.

Good to see the club is having an open training session at Suncorp on Friday followed by a fan forum with Aloisi.

coast

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 04:33:19 PM »
Going to be an interesting season.  Jets, CCM and the Nix are new teams, in effect. 

Easy to pick the top of the table from Sydney, Victory, Wanderers.  Adelaide have had good results, and for me they round out the 4.  As to the rest, anyone's guess.  Most interesting season for some time.  Squad rebuilds, good quality visa signings (outside Macca, who is too old and won't keep up). 

Can't wait.  City are looking very ordinary.  We might take the points. Certainly one of the softer games to open with.  Can't see us as top 4, but if the Frenchman is as good as we all hope, and with Skapetis firing, we might just make the 6.

Victory are way ahead of City, so the Melb derby is off the boil, but we might just see the attendance record broken again in the Sydney derby.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:37:07 PM by coast »

coast

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »
But wtf is it with our injury list?  This is what you get with 33 and 34 year olds, unfortunately, and we can expect to see a lot more of it over the season, I expect.

Chico Raul

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 06:13:41 AM »
Another day another Fox article with a totally irrelevant bit of footage embedded in it. See link below.
No coach is going to bag what Aloisi has done and rile their opposition at this stage of the season, so take Arnold's comments with a grain of salt.
Aloisi is gambling on experience as we know, and the risk (again as we know already) is one of fitness.
TK who when on song can transform Roar from rabble to a half way decent team is a case in point. I am starting to think his recurrent hamstring issues are becoming terminal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/graham-arnold-rates-brisbane-roar-as-a-major-threat-to-sydney-fcs-title-hopes/news-story/af502cb7be2fe11384fa4619121bbe1d

SYDNEY FC coach Graham Arnold rates Brisbane Roar as a major threat to the Sky Blues? hopes of winning back-to-back A-League titles.
The Roar?s chances of claiming a fourth championship and their first since 2014 have been largely dismissed due to their pre-season form and the older look of the squad.
However, Arnold won?t fall into the trap of writing off the Roar, who beat a second-string Sydney FC 2-0 earlier this month in a rare bright spot to what has otherwise been an unconvincing pre-season campaign.
?They are close to being the most successful club in A-League history, and they probably go under the radar a little bit,? Arnold said.
?They?ve got some very good experienced players. It would be a danger to write them off.
?They?ll be up there at the end of the season.?
Arnold applauded Roar coach John Aloisi?s recruitment.

Having had his attacking arsenal from last season decimated with the departures of Jamie Maclaren, Thomas Broich, Brandon Borrello and Tommy Oar, Aloisi has gone with experience in the new faces he has brought to the club.
They include 38-year-old marquee man Massimo Maccarone, former Melbourne Victory star Fahid Ben Khalfallah and French winger Eric Bautheac.
?Johnny?s gone with stability,? Arnold said.
?He?s lost his whole front line, and it?s going to takes time for the new guys to work well together.?

Arnold also tipped former Sydney FC speedster Corey Gameiro, on the comeback trail after a third knee reconstruction, to have an impact in Brisbane.
?They?ll be reliant a lot on Corey Gameiro and his pace ? he?s a good kid,? Arnold said.
Brisbane?s forward options also include Peter Skapetis, who has been in hot pre-season form in his own comeback from a second major knee injury.

Skapetis? former coach at Australian under-20 level, current Central Coast Mariners mentor Paul Okon, believes the Melbourne-born attacker will be a force to be reckoned with this season.
?I?m so happy for Pete,? Okon said.
?I had some contact with him before he went to the Roar. He?s an exciting young player, he just needs to find somewhere where he?s going to have the opportunity to play.
?Then we?ll be able to see what level he can get to.?

coast

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »
Another day another Fox article with a totally irrelevant bit of footage embedded in it. See link below.
No coach is going to bag what Aloisi has done and rile their opposition at this stage of the season, so take Arnold's comments with a grain of salt.
Aloisi is gambling on experience as we know, and the risk (again as we know already) is one of fitness.
TK who when on song can transform Roar from rabble to a half way decent team is a case in point. I am starting to think his recurrent hamstring issues are becoming terminal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/graham-arnold-rates-brisbane-roar-as-a-major-threat-to-sydney-fcs-title-hopes/news-story/af502cb7be2fe11384fa4619121bbe1d

SYDNEY FC coach Graham Arnold rates Brisbane Roar as a major threat to the Sky Blues? hopes of winning back-to-back A-League titles.
The Roar?s chances of claiming a fourth championship and their first since 2014 have been largely dismissed due to their pre-season form and the older look of the squad.
However, Arnold won?t fall into the trap of writing off the Roar, who beat a second-string Sydney FC 2-0 earlier this month in a rare bright spot to what has otherwise been an unconvincing pre-season campaign.
?They are close to being the most successful club in A-League history, and they probably go under the radar a little bit,? Arnold said.
?They?ve got some very good experienced players. It would be a danger to write them off.
?They?ll be up there at the end of the season.?
Arnold applauded Roar coach John Aloisi?s recruitment.

Having had his attacking arsenal from last season decimated with the departures of Jamie Maclaren, Thomas Broich, Brandon Borrello and Tommy Oar, Aloisi has gone with experience in the new faces he has brought to the club.
They include 38-year-old marquee man Massimo Maccarone, former Melbourne Victory star Fahid Ben Khalfallah and French winger Eric Bautheac.
?Johnny?s gone with stability,? Arnold said.
?He?s lost his whole front line, and it?s going to takes time for the new guys to work well together.?

Arnold also tipped former Sydney FC speedster Corey Gameiro, on the comeback trail after a third knee reconstruction, to have an impact in Brisbane.
?They?ll be reliant a lot on Corey Gameiro and his pace ? he?s a good kid,? Arnold said.
Brisbane?s forward options also include Peter Skapetis, who has been in hot pre-season form in his own comeback from a second major knee injury.

Skapetis? former coach at Australian under-20 level, current Central Coast Mariners mentor Paul Okon, believes the Melbourne-born attacker will be a force to be reckoned with this season.
?I?m so happy for Pete,? Okon said.
?I had some contact with him before he went to the Roar. He?s an exciting young player, he just needs to find somewhere where he?s going to have the opportunity to play.
?Then we?ll be able to see what level he can get to.?

Usual coach blather saying nice things about another coach who he knows well.  He's not going to come close to being open.

Chico Raul

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 06:16:23 AM »
Here's another article for those who have not seen it. I hope JA doesn't get to hear the comment about players playing until they are 45.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/09/27/maccarones-age-aint-nothing-number-0

One of Massimo Maccarone's long-time Serie A rivals is convinced the Brisbane Roar veteran can still be a potent attacking weapon despite his advancing years.
Arguably the highest-profile recruit coming into the A-League this season, the 38-year-old has been written off in some quarters as a spent force due to his age and the physical demands of the competition.

But former Roma, Torino, Udinese and Venezia striker Paolo Poggi reckons marquee man Maccarone is poised to prove his doubters wrong.
Poggi said he played against Maccarone "many times" and caught up with him twice over dinner on a recent visit to Australia, as part of a delegation from cashed-up Serie B club Venezia that formalised a partnership deal with A-League aspirants Brisbane City.
"What I got was that he's very enthusiastic to be here," Poggi told AAP.
"And his family is here now, so I saw him as very, very happy and I think he has the mind to be still a very good player.
"Of course, he's old. But it depends on the mind. If you have the right mind you can play until you are 45.
"He's one of the best strikers (Italy has) had in the last decade.
"Physically he's good and two years ago he scored 13 goals in Serie A. You can't forget those numbers. They speak for themselves.
"I'm sure he can do something really good in Brisbane and the A-League."

Maccarone has enjoyed a productive pre-season, scoring five goals in a series of friendly games and netting five last week in an internal trial.
While he is recognised as a quality marksman, it is his link-up play with other attackers that has the potential to drive the Roar to success this season.
"He's getting fit and we could see, in his last two games he was getting much better," fellow Brisbane recruit Fahid Ben Khalfallah told AAP.
"He understands football. With people like that, you don't have to explain to them 10 times or 20 times what they have to do. They already know.
"He played at the highest level for ages, and last year he was still playing in Serie A. I don't know if there's a lot of players or strikers in Australia who can play in Serie A."

coast

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
"If you have the right mind you can play until you are 45"

Right there, Poggi completely discredits anything he has to say.

Two years ago... if this guy knew anything about sports physiology he would know that, from the mid 30s, performance decline is exponential and two years is, in fact, a long time.  He does, of course. He's simply saying nice things about a compatriot he obviously likes.

I am getting so over these pieces the club is obviously strategically releasing that say Methuselah Maccarone's age doesn't matter.  The lady doth protest too much.   

The guy is too old, period, and should never have been signed.  Happy to be proven wrong, but I'm not expecting it.  This is a physically tough, fast league played in difficult summer conditions.  Many people underestimate both the standard and the level of physical difficulty. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:38:48 AM by coast »

dobo

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
"If you have the right mind you can play until you are 45"

Right there, Poggi completely discredits anything he has to say.

Two years ago... if this guy knew anything about sports physiology he would know that, from the mid 30s, performance decline is exponential and two years is, in fact, a long time.  He does, of course. He's simply saying nice things about a compatriot he obviously likes.

I am getting so over these pieces the club is obviously strategically releasing that say Methuselah Maccarone's age doesn't matter.  The lady doth protest too much.   

The guy is too old, period, and should never have been signed.  Happy to be proven wrong, but I'm not expecting it.  This is a physically tough, fast league played in difficult summer conditions.  Many people underestimate both the standard and the level of physical difficulty. 

Im not going to write him off as too old with out seeing him play. Players are playing longer thanks to being looked after better. Similarly to my view on young players, if they are good enough they are old/young enough. Ill wait until i can see how he goes against a-league opposition on a regular basis before forming an opinion,

mellod

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 08:58:18 AM »
I would love for Macca to be 10 years younger, however if he was, we wouldn't have been able to sign him.

He seems to have scored a few goals in pre-season (4 maybe, but against low level opposition), and made a few assists. I think if JA gets his tactics right, we won't need him to have much pace. Just physicality, goal-scoring and vision.

I'll judge him once the season is over.

coast

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 12:05:32 PM »
I guess I'm pissed off because there seems to be this mentality that well past it players can come here and still be good enough for our League, and it's not the case.  If past examples are anything to go by, at 38 Maccarone is going to disappoint.

theoworldwide

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »
I guess I'm pissed off because there seems to be this mentality that well past it players can come here and still be good enough for our League, and it's not the case.  If past examples are anything to go by, at 38 Maccarone is going to disappoint.

Yeah. A small part of me actually wants macca to be a colossal disaster. Basically to act as a warning sign to other coaches and a wake up call to ja that fans don't  want to see signings like this

mellod

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »
I think it's just the way the league is setup. Not a lot of money and there is no draw for players wanting to boost their careers or play at a higher level.

If you are a talented player of a decent age, you are either going to play somewhere in Europe (if you care about your career) or play in China/UAE (if you care about money).

That leaves us with players who are either:

• A decent age, where we take a gamble on how talented they are
  • Talented but are over the hill and you take a gamble on whether they will perform

Regardless of the way a coach chooses to go, they are taking a gamble. You sign an unknown like Berisha and you look like a genius. You sign an unknown like Hervas and you are the absolute worst.

Same thing could happen this season with Maccarone. He could prove everyone wrong and JA looks good, or he could be a flop and JA looks like a dud.

miron mercedes

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »

Yeah. A small part of me actually wants macca to be a colossal disaster. Basically to act as a warning sign to other coaches and a wake up call to ja that fans don't  want to see signings like this

....so you are hoping the Roar fail so you can be right ? I hope that's a very, very small part of you ....strangely I hope Macca is a great success and JA gives all his detractors the finger on Grand Final day ...but hey... I am known to be a bit odd
BTW... as a fan ....I have no problem with signings like Maccarone..at least he has runs on the board...oh.... and how many pre season goals has he scored   ? yeah I know ...wait until the real stuff begins ..well he can only play the teams we are playing against and he is scoring for fun ...not a bad start is it ?
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

dobo

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »

I dont know how you can call him well past it, he played 28 games in Serie A last year. He may be past it, who knows until we see what he can do right now, but he is no where near "well past it"

coast

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 07:59:10 PM »

....so you are hoping the Roar fail so you can be right ? I hope that's a very, very small part of you ....strangely I hope Macca is a great success and JA gives all his detractors the finger on Grand Final day ...but hey... I am known to be a bit odd
BTW... as a fan ....I have no problem with signings like Maccarone..at least he has runs on the board...oh.... and how many pre season goals has he scored   ? yeah I know ...wait until the real stuff begins ..well he can only play the teams we are playing against and he is scoring for fun ...not a bad start is it ?

Admire your positivity, but Macca didn't make a dent on any of the full strength A League teams.  I expect that to continue, but hope to be wrong, no matter how much I would like to see the back of the current coaching staff (which is very much).

Bring on the season, and I will raise my beer on this ridiculously warm September night to Massimo Maccarone getting a brace against City!

Chico Raul

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2017, 07:35:47 AM »
I went to the Fan Forum and my take aways were:

Exciting times for the women but a lot more reserved outlook for the men
We will not be playing with three at the back
Matty McKay is super fit. Brown and Hingert also. I expect to see Brown and Hingert in very much the same role as previous.
The age concerns were brushed aside. Reference to Paulo Maldini etc and JA's thoughts same as previously reported
JA believes that he has more depth all round (his words were a big squad) and that going forwards he has more types of players giving him more options. He acknowledged that last year we had too many draws from winnable situations with not enough options on the bench. Mel is expecting improvement in her attacking third
Oxborough is seen as a major prospect. (Given TK's hamstring issues I expect Oxborough to feature a fair bit)
Re ACL and fixtures, JA has spoken to the FFA and believes that they are becoming more supportive. (He did not say what will happen if FIFA take over. Anyway, I am not expecting much to change whilst the ALeague remains shoe horned in between other codes. The season is too short imo)
JA has pleaded with refs to come down hard on the cynical fouling to break up transition that disadvantages Roar. ie Teams like Adelaide, Sydney, Victory which JA did not mention by name but we all know). Except JA mentioned how poor the last grand final was in terms of spectacle for the neutral
Where is Eric? Nobody knows!!
FFA Cup debacle. Yes it was embarrassing. But until the comp later rounds are played during the A League season, it will be a problem in terms of fitness and availability. Roar approach to early preseason is more on ball work, less on fitness (perhaps explains Dane Ingham's problems). Other clubs have better facilities and more money to travel in preseason
Women's team have a lot of exciting new players. Can't wait to see how they go

All in all, I am no more optimistic about the men's team than I was before. Good times ahead for the women. It was well worth going and thanks to all for putting it on.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the coaches' musings or the practice game earlier which I missed?

Fixer

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
Brown is one of the fittest :)
Lmfao

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2046
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205202
  • Total Topics: 8037