Author Topic: Gombau Named Wanders Coach.  (Read 672 times)

dobo

Gombau Named Wanders Coach.
« on: November 01, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »
https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/teams/western-sydney-wanderers/western-sydney-wanderers-to-unveil-new-coach-on-wednesday/news-story/365703a9187b0fa0e7153af18d91c863

Western Sydney Wanderers to unveil new coach on Wednesday

WESTERN SYDNEY WANDERERS
November 1, 2017 9:25am
Source: FOX SPORTS
Josep Gombau had acted as Socceroos assistant coach.
Source: News Corp Australia
SOCCEROOS assistant coach Josep Gombau has been unveiled as Western Sydney Wanderers? new boss on Wednesday morning.

The former Adelaide United boss has been linked heavily with the post, and after Ante Milicic pulled out, became a firm favourite.

His interest in the post was endorsed by Ange Postecoglou during the Socceroos? Syria series.

Gombau, an advocate for passing and possession football, would also need no introduction to the A-League, nor the club?s Spanish contingent, a clear reason for his appointment following Tony Popovic?s shock departure to Turkey.

Round 5

Team logo for Melbourne City
(12 points, 1st)
Broadcast on FOX Sports 501
AAMI Park
Nov 3 2017
6:50PM
Team logo for Sydney FC
(10 points, 2nd)
Match Centre
Remote Record
Fantasy
Add To Calendar
$3.35 WIN$2.15 WIN
Team logo for Newcastle Jets
(8 points, 3rd)
McDonald Jones Stadium
Nov 4 2017
Team logo for Wellington Phoenix
(2 points, 7th)
Match Centre
Remote Record
Fantasy
Add To Calendar
$2.05 WIN$3.55 WIN
Team logo for Perth Glory
(4 points, 6th)
nib Stadium
Nov 4 2017
9:00PM
Team logo for Adelaide United
(5 points, 5th)
Match Centre
Remote Record
Fantasy
Add To Calendar
$2.15 WIN$3.25 WIN
Team logo for Brisbane Roar
(1 points, 10th)
Suncorp Stadium
Nov 5 2017
4:00PM
Team logo for Central Coast Mariners
(2 points, 9th)
Match Centre
Remote Record
Fantasy
Add To Calendar
$1.86 WIN$3.90 WIN
Team logo for Melbourne Victory
(2 points, 8th)
Etihad Stadium
Nov 6 2017
Team logo for Western Sydney Wanderers
(6 points, 4th)
Match Centre
Remote Record
Fantasy
Add To Calendar
$2.42 WIN$2.85 WIN

We are proud to announce Josep Gombau as the club's new head coach: https://t.co/c1ZQ55PW7T #WSW pic.twitter.com/shTcVXMBvG

? WS Wanderers FC (@wswanderersfc) October 31, 2017
?After an extensive worldwide search we are confident we have chosen the best candidate for the job,? chairman Paul Lederer said of Gombau?s appoitment.

Gombau had also been the Olyroos manager, with a big hint of his move coming when an upcoming training camp was cancelled and Football Federation Australia confirmed the Spaniard had resigned from his role with the national team.

Ex-WSW striker Tomi Juric celebrates with Josep Gombau. Picture Sarah Reed.
?For me, this is an amazing opportunity at one of - if not the biggest - clubs in the Hyundai A-League,? said Gombau.

He added: ?As part of the National Team coaching unit I came to watch the Wanderers play often to monitor players, and the atmosphere has always been something special.

?I think it is important that we embrace the fans ? play with passion ? have passion in the team.

?I look forward to building on the style of play that we want to play ? attacking football that our members and fans will be proud to watch.

?Our first step is to build this attacking style together so that our brand of football is fast and is possession based. I like to play the way that honours keeping the ball, and I believe that this group of players at the Wanderers will take this style to another level.

?We have a strong team, so I want to get straight to work . . . I know the players want this too. We will build on our style, we will play to win -and we will play for the people of Western Sydney.?

Hayden Foxe had been acting as caretaker since the club?s inaugural head coach, Popovic, announced a week before the season started he was leaving to take over at Turkish club Karabukspor.

It is understood Foxe will continue as Gombau?s assistant coach. Western Sydney next take on Melbourne Victory on Monday night at Etihad Stadium.

other rumours going around is that Aloisi will take the U23 role

mellod

Re: Gombau Named Wanders Coach.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 11:10:54 AM »
Good appointment by them, although I do wonder how long he will be around for (assuming he would be in the running for the NT job after Ange).

If JA goes, I certainly wouldn't mind. While I am not on the same JA hate train some others are on, I certainly think he has proven over the past few seasons that he doesn't have what it takes to make us a top of the table side.

Assuming he will be going eventually, I would certainly hope he goes this season with plenty of time for the new coach to build their team.

miron mercedes

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/teams/western-sydney-wanderers/western-sydney-wanderers-to-unveil-new-coach-on-wednesday/news-story/365703a9187b0fa0e7153af18d91c863

Western Sydney Wanderers to unveil new coach on Wednesday

WESTERN SYDNEY WANDERERS
November 1, 2017 9:25am
Source: FOX SPORTS
SOCCEROOS assistant coach Josep Gombau has been unveiled as Western Sydney Wanderers? new boss on Wednesday morning.

The former Adelaide United boss has been linked heavily with the post, and after Ante Milicic pulled out, became a firm favourite.

His interest in the post was endorsed by Ange Postecoglou during the Socceroos? Syria series.

Gombau, an advocate for passing and possession football, would also need no introduction to the A-League, nor the club?s Spanish contingent, a clear reason for his appointment following Tony Popovic?s shock departure to Turkey.

Round 5

Team logo for Melbourne City
(12 points, 1st)
AAMI Park
Nov 3 2017
Team logo for Sydney FC
(10 points, 2nd)
Match Centre
Remote Record
Fantasy
Add To Calendar
$3.35 WIN$2.15 WIN
Team logo for Newcastle Jets
(8 points, 3rd)
McDonald Jones Stadium
Nov 4 2017
Team logo for Wellington Phoenix
(2 points, 7th)
Match Centre
Remote Record
Fantasy
Add To Calendar
$2.05 WIN$3.55 WIN
Team logo for Perth Glory
(4 points, 6th)
nib Stadium
Nov 4 2017
9:00PM
Team logo for Adelaide United
(5 points, 5th)
Match Centre
Remote Record
Fantasy
Add To Calendar
$2.15 WIN$3.25 WIN
Team logo for Brisbane Roar
(1 points, 10th)
Suncorp Stadium
Nov 5 2017
4:00PM
Team logo for Central Coast Mariners
(2 points, 9th)
Match Centre
Remote Record
Fantasy
Add To Calendar
$1.86 WIN$3.90 WIN
Team logo for Melbourne Victory
(2 points, 8th)
Etihad Stadium
Nov 6 2017
Team logo for Western Sydney Wanderers
(6 points, 4th)
Match Centre
Remote Record
Fantasy
Add To Calendar
$2.42 WIN$2.85 WIN

We are proud to announce Josep Gombau as the club's new head coach: https://t.co/c1ZQ55PW7T #WSW pic.twitter.com/shTcVXMBvG

? WS Wanderers FC (@wswanderersfc) October 31, 2017
?After an extensive worldwide search we are confident we have chosen the best candidate for the job,? chairman Paul Lederer said of Gombau?s appoitment.

Gombau had also been the Olyroos manager, with a big hint of his move coming when an upcoming training camp was cancelled and Football Federation Australia confirmed the Spaniard had resigned from his role with the national team.

?For me, this is an amazing opportunity at one of - if not the biggest - clubs in the Hyundai A-League,? said Gombau.

He added: ?As part of the National Team coaching unit I came to watch the Wanderers play often to monitor players, and the atmosphere has always been something special.

?I think it is important that we embrace the fans ? play with passion ? have passion in the team.

?I look forward to building on the style of play that we want to play ? attacking football that our members and fans will be proud to watch.

?Our first step is to build this attacking style together so that our brand of football is fast and is possession based. I like to play the way that honours keeping the ball, and I believe that this group of players at the Wanderers will take this style to another level.

?We have a strong team, so I want to get straight to work . . . I know the players want this too. We will build on our style, we will play to win -and we will play for the people of Western Sydney.?

Hayden Foxe had been acting as caretaker since the club?s inaugural head coach, Popovic, announced a week before the season started he was leaving to take over at Turkish club Karabukspor.

It is understood Foxe will continue as Gombau?s assistant coach. Western Sydney next take on Melbourne Victory on Monday night at Etihad Stadium.

other rumours going around is that Aloisi will take the U23 role

rumours from whom ?
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

dobo

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 03:33:50 PM »
probably nowhere accurate but it was on the 442 forum, worth splashing them around.

coast

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »
Surely not Aloisi.  He's had two gigs now and made a dog's breakfast of both.  I simply can't believe he would be given the Olympic side.  It would require a level of stupidity that surely even FFA doesn't possess.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2046
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205161
  • Total Topics: 8034
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0