Author Topic: FRANJIC IS BACK!  (Read 842 times)

FKA

FRANJIC IS BACK!
« on: November 09, 2017, 03:10:19 PM »
There's a surprise.

Brisbane Roar is excited to announce the signing of triple Championship-winning defender Ivan Franjic for the Hyundai A-League 2017/18 season.

The Australian international was an integral member of Brisbane's squad between 2009 and 2014, winning three Hyundai A-League Championships and two Premierships.

Head Coach John Aloisi says the versatile fullback, known for both his defensive capabilities as well as a keen eye for goal, is a tremendous addition to his squad.

?We are thrilled to welcome Ivan back to Brisbane Roar Football Club,? Aloisi said.

?In the past he played a key role in bringing success to our Club and we believe he will be fantastic for our talented squad.

?We are signing an experienced versatile footballer, who has played at the highest level for both club and country and will help lead the group.?

Between 2009 and 2014, Franjic made 115 appearances for Brisbane Roar and earned his international debut during that time.

He has since gone on to represent Australia 20 times, featuring at both the 2014 FIFA World Cup and 2015 AFC Asian Cup and is excited to once again be wearing the Brisbane orange.

?I have a lot of special memories in Brisbane and to come back and have these fans support me again is special,? Franjic said.

?My Dad is a huge Brisbane Roar supporter so he was very happy to hear the news. I?m a player that wants to win and nothing less than that is on the cards for me.

?Brisbane is where I started and I think it?s a good time to come back after playing abroad. I still believe I have a lot to learn in football, and with the experience in this squad and the coaching staff, I believe I can do that.

?I?ve been watching the games, and the boys have shown great character. That?s always a special trait the team has had ? we never give up.

Roar's new recruit most recently played for South Korean club Daegu FC and fellow Hyundai A-League side Melbourne City.

Brisbane Roar FC Hyundai A-League 2017/18 Squad

Goalkeepers: Michael Theo, Brendan White, Jamie Young

Defenders: Daniel Bowles, Corey Brown, Luke DeVere, Ivan Franjic, Jack Hingert, Jade North, Connor O?Toole, Avram Papadopoulos

Midfielders: Joe Caletti, Brett Holman, Thomas Kristensen, Matt McKay (c), Mitchell Oxborrow, Jacob Pepper

Attackers: Eric Bautheac, Shannon Brady, Nick D?Agostino, Corey Gameiro, Fahid Ben Khalfallah, Massimo Maccarone, Petros Skapetis

Scholarship players: Jay Barnett, Bryce Bafford, Dane Ingham, Emilio Martinez

https://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/news/franjic

mellod

Re: FRANJIC IS BACK!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
Interesting signing. Have no idea where he will play. I assume initially he will come in either on the left for Corey, or on the right with Jack moving over to the left.

scribbo

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:49:01 PM »
 Good news for a change, welcome back Ivan.

On the right I would imagine, Jack has been a bit ordinary so far this season in my opinion.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:08:13 PM »
This is great news!
The female kangaroo has a pouch. The male kangaroo doesn't. So the male kangaroo has pouch envy. "Why don't i get a pouch? I've got things to carry too. At least give me a pocket".

The struggle to free myself from restraints becomes my very shackles.

Dinoweb

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 06:24:52 PM »
Awesome news, was always a big fan, though he's not been the same since he left Roar and got injured. Hopefully he can find his old form.

Has to play on the right. Why would you put him on the left?

Put your best players where they play best.
I see it, but I do not believe it!

Favourite Roar Moments
1 - 13/03/11 Roar 2 (4) CCM 2 (2)
2 - 4/05/14 Roar 2 WSW 1 (E.T.)
3 - 14/04/12 Roar 2 Perth Glory 1
4 - 6/11/10 Roar 4 Adelaide 0
5 - 22/3/14 Roar 1 Melbourne Victory 0
6 - 14/1/12 Roar 2 Sydney 1

David Dodd

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 06:32:38 PM »
Must be pretty despo for game time to come back to this shit town.

Chico Raul

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
How many players does that mean we have in the squad?
The article does not mention injury replacement and I thought we were maxed out.
The article also says "versatile". Did he play for us anywhere other than right back?
Ivan was great for us, but really! another injury plagued 30 plus player?
What we desperately need is a number six.

miron mercedes

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 07:03:07 PM »
The article does not mention injury replacement and I thought we were maxed out.
The article also says "versatile". Did he play for us anywhere other than right back?

yes he played right mid as swell on occasion ..
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

gooseman22

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »

yes he played right mid as swell on occasion ..
I seem to recall him playing at no 6 at one point...

Fixer

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
He has played at 6 in the past , best possi is at 2 though ,
But with TKs on going Hammy I would say 6 is where he is going short term , btw I?m hearing TK not back this side of Xmas if lucky

Septic Bladder

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 08:48:14 PM »
He is 30.

Probably not match fit.

Past his prime.

Tr0jan

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 07:40:48 AM »
He is 30.

Probably not match fit.

Past his prime.

He's still a lot younger than most of the others in the squad. He is also most probably past his prime but I believe he will be a good addition as he is adept at going forward and can also easily slot into a RM spot so a bit of attacking cover never goes astray.

Terror

• Klose - The TRUE White Pele
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:21:17 AM »
Franjic is a sound addition. Just need somebody up the other end of the field (who can score) now.
f**k England
f**k Chelsea
Laugh at Man united
CR7 is a freak and a c**t

coast

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
Just don't make the mistake of expecting anything like the player who left us.  He was very ordinary at City.   Not bad, just ordinary.  And he failed to make the grade in Korea.  Injuries and time have taken their toll. 

Personally, I don't think this is a good recruiting decision.   

denzele

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »
Welcome back Ivan . One of my favourites back in glory days . I think he can still deliver for A-League standards. Happy with this signing.

denzele

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 02:04:36 PM »
Just don't make the mistake of expecting anything like the player who left us.  He was very ordinary at City.   Not bad, just ordinary.  And he failed to make the grade in Korea.  Injuries and time have taken their toll. 

C'mon coast let's give him a chance first before we start judging him already :) .

coast

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »

C'mon coast let's give him a chance first before we start judging him already :) .

Don't get me wrong, D.  I just think another player 30 or more on the slide is not the kind of invigoration our team urgently needs. 

We all saw him at City.  He's not the player he was when was at Brisbane.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2046
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205170
  • Total Topics: 8034
  • Online Today: 33
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0