Author Topic: Australia vs Honduras - 15/11/17 - WC Play Off 2nd Leg - Stadium Australia  (Read 2118 times)

Septic Bladder

Re: Australia vs Honduras - 15/11/17 - WC Play Off 2nd Leg - Stadium Australia
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
This has been the worst of the 3 Asian qualifying campaigns. In WC2010 we won our group. In WC2014 we came second and in WC2018 we came third.

We had a quite a bit of luck - the last minute post in the second leg against Syria for example.

Ange has used so many players and I think he still doesn?t know his best eleven.

The change to a back 3 mid campaign and at an away game no less, was mad.

At the actual finals in 2006, we got out of our group.
At 2010, we missed getting out of our group on goal difference, scoring 4 points.
At 2014, with Ange in charge, we finished last in our group on 0 points

Clearly, the quality of our squads have declined, but Ange hasn?t adapted to the available talent and instead has played theoretical fantasy football.

As well as his tactical short comings, he clearly lacks any political nouse picking fights with FFA he can never win.

If he goes, it?s his own fault.

miron mercedes

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 11:03:23 PM »
...and another optimistic take on life from Sep....everyone slit your wrists on the way out ....
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 11:30:06 PM »
I don't think it's Ange's fault that he isn't coaching Bresc, Kewell, Viduka, Schwarzer, Emmo, Moore, etc.

His most potent atacking threat is Cahill, who won't be in the team for 2020. Australia has always had a problem finding consistent goal scorers, but I think our midfield is now stronger than ever and as last night showed, the goals will come. Reverting to a defensive formula that leaves bodies at the wrong end of the field is not the way to beat the best.

I was happy when Ange put Kruse on when we were two nil up. That shows our style.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

Chico Raul

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 06:02:24 AM »
I don't think it's Ange's fault that he isn't coaching Bresc, Kewell, Viduka, Schwarzer, Emmo, Moore, etc.

His most potent atacking threat is Cahill, who won't be in the team for 2020. Australia has always had a problem finding consistent goal scorers, but I think our midfield is now stronger than ever and as last night showed, the goals will come. Reverting to a defensive formula that leaves bodies at the wrong end of the field is not the way to beat the best.

I was happy when Ange put Kruse on when we were two nil up. That shows our style.
Absolutely Agree.
I am taking at face value the fact that Ange's family has copped a battering although some of this regrettably goes with the territory. It's not right but also hard to avoid.
So who do we want?
A proven coach who has led the team to qualify for the WC ; who led the team to win the Asian Cup; who has the team positioned respectably in world rankings; who is Australian; who has creditable experience in coaching at the world cup; and probably above all who has rebuilt a side with relatively young players. So what if he is prickly in front of the media! It's a no brainer that Ange is the best man for the job.
All of the above should achieve our gratitude. Not our scorn.
Where else will you get someone with those awesome credentials?
Pinch yourselves!
We are going to the bloody World Cup mates!

coast

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »
Tell me again, how many games did we lose over the entire qualifying campaign? How many goals scored? How many goals conceded?

Some of your comments make me suspect that you just look at score lines and don't actually watch the games or consider why Ange might be trying to change the wa we play the game.

Make sure you get back to me with those stats.

OR, with all due respect, I have better things to do with my time, and, yes, I did watch the games and, as a lifelong student of the game who has also played at semi pro level, and coached juniors (teens) to titles, I have a reasonably educated view of what I was seeing.

Which is not say that I disregard the view of others, like you, at all.  But don't assume I'm an ignorant blow-in punter.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:25:36 AM by coast »

coast

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »
This has been the worst of the 3 Asian qualifying campaigns. In WC2010 we won our group. In WC2014 we came second and in WC2018 we came third.

We had a quite a bit of luck - the last minute post in the second leg against Syria for example.

Ange has used so many players and I think he still doesn?t know his best eleven.

At 2010, we missed getting out of our group on goal difference, scoring 4 points.

Clearly, the quality of our squads have declined, but Ange hasn?t adapted to the available talent and instead has played theoretical fantasy football.

As well as his tactical short comings, he clearly lacks any political nouse picking fights with FFA he can never win.

Sep, I don't believe for a moment  that he's going.  My honest view is that he's thoroughly enjoying being the centre of attention and is stringing the media along so that when he turns around and says he's staying, he'll be greeted like the new Messiah.

The thing to remember with Ange, is that it's all about him, always.

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »
So you are quite happy to disregard excellent results, the fact that we qualified, and were only marginally behind the other two direct qualifiers in our group.

coast

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »
So you are quite happy to disregard excellent results, the fact that we qualified, and were only marginally behind the other two direct qualifiers in our group.

Oh good grief.   You think the results were excellent, fine.  I didn't, nor did a lot of other people, including many with much more experience of the game than you or I, nor were those people, myself included, happy with the dismal, toothless performances.  We were within part of the width of one post of going out to Syria, and had to go through two playoffs to qualify, and have just been rated the worst of the qualifying nations - see here  https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/media-watch-socceroos-ranked-worst-team-at-2018-russia-world-cup/news-story/2268948e18243da0405cf5cd3bd9e868

Septic Bladder

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 12:25:09 PM »

Sep, I don't believe for a moment  that he's going.  My honest view is that he's thoroughly enjoying being the centre of attention and is stringing the media along so that when he turns around and says he's staying, he'll be greeted like the new Messiah.

The thing to remember with Ange, is that it's all about him, always.

That thought had occurred to me, but I dismissed it on the basis that he couldn?t possibly be that machiavellian.

Or could he?

Septic Bladder

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
A shambles that has seen us qualify for a fourth WC in a row. FFS.

Holger Osieck won Direct qualification and yet was sacked for one poor result in a friendly.

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
That looks a lot like an assessment of the team, specifically the players. Is there anywhere in that article that says there is a better manager available that can score goals on the field?

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
See, you seem quite willing to look up some shonky article by foxsports, but completely unable to look at the the actual stats that show one goal in one of several different games during the second stage of qualification would have seen us qualify directly. Ange cannot run onto the field and put the ball into the net. He put his players in scoring positions and they failed time and again. Despite this, the final game in qualification showed what can happen when you follow a particular philosophy and stick to it.

miron mercedes

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 12:55:41 PM »
A shambles that has seen us qualify for a fourth WC in a row. FFS.

Holger Osieck won Direct qualification and yet was sacked for one poor result in a friendly.

Two poor results and extremely poor play.
The current team actually plays well considering the talent available...we simply lack teeth in front of goal . if we had Besart Berisha as an Aussie we would have qualified directly on top of the group IMO.
Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

Terror

• Klose - The TRUE White Pele
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 03:09:51 PM »
The current team actually plays well considering the talent available
Spot on Miron. Ange has done all that is humanly possible with the squad that we have.  We need him until some of those donkeys up front step up or some bolters come through the ranks
f**k England
f**k Chelsea
Laugh at Man united
CR7 is a freak and a c**t

Chico Raul

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2017, 04:36:32 PM »
Get on to Iview and watch this Sunday's Offsiders whilst you can.
You get as a good an insight as you will ever get into Ange's psyche.
I sense that Ange feels that Gerard Whateley genuinely respects what Ange has done and for that respect, Ange opens up as much as this complex man ever will. 
Like Gerard Whateley, I really hope Ange decides to stay on and go to the WC.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2046
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205394
  • Total Topics: 8049
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0