Author Topic: Ange Postecoglou resigns  (Read 986 times)

mellod

rats_11

Re: Ange Postecoglou resigns
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:51:50 AM »
Massive loss.

Septic Bladder

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »

A tearful Ange Postecoglou has sensationally quit his post as Socceroos coach after getting the team to the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
?After a great deal of thought and soul searching I have decided the journey for me ends as Socceroos coach,? Postecoglou said.
?I have said many times it has been the greatest privilege of my life and it?s probably not the end I envisaged when we started, but at the same time I know it is the right time for me and the right decision.
?As tough as a decision it is - and it has been very tough - it just, for me, feels like it?s the right time.?
His future in the role had come under increasing scrutiny after the Socceroos finished third in their group in Asian qualifying and had to play two, two-legged qualifiers against Syria and Honduras to make the 32-team tournament.
The Socceroos eventually qualified with a 3-1 home win over Honduras at ANZ Stadium, when skipper Mile Jedinak scored a hat-trick, after holding the Hondurans 0-0 in the opening away leg.
It was after that win that Postecoglou said he knew his time as national coach was ultimately up.
?(I knew) probably straight after the game,? Postecoglou added.
?And then an hour later, DG (David Gallop) convinced me not to, and then an hour later I changed my mind again, and five beers later, I didn?t know where I was.
?Look, I have been fluctuating. But I have also been conscious and mindful that I didn?t want this to drag on.
?It was a decision that needed to be made fairly quickly.... I had the weekend to sort of digest everything that happened, and I really wanted to enjoy that, but when I came yesterday and I spoke to Dave and Stephen Lowy, you know, I knew that it was time to go.?

Postecoglou said the move out of the national role was one he had been considering for at least half a year
?Probably the last sort of six to eight months (I had been weighing up options). I kind of knew that the World Cup next year was kind of the definite end date but at the same time, like I said, it?s been a really, you know, a really hard four years.?
With the news of Postecoglou?s resignation and the World Cup in Russia starting on June 14, 2018 it leaves Gallop with a short turnaround to get a new coach in and acquainted with the national team but he said he would not rush the decision.
?We don?t play till March, so we have got a bit of time and it?s important we take that time to look at what is out there,? Gallop said.
?We will take or time and make sure we get the right person for the job.?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-coach-ange-postecoglou-to-make-announcement/news-story/40f93ec8e31c853b556db424a5dc807a?utm_source=The%20Australian&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=BreakingNews

Septic Bladder

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
Bye, thanks for your efforts.

Next!

Septic Bladder

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
What will Ange do next?

If I were Ned Zelic, i?d be fearful of my spot at Foxtel.

Also I reckon he has summed up our chances at the WC, realises we will be lucky to do as well (as badly) as 2014, and that he just cant face the criticism he will inevitably receive.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:05:11 AM by Septic Bladder »

miron mercedes

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »
Got to be more to this....what coach in the world anywhere gets a team to qualify and then walks away without going to the big show ? It would be a huge tick on his resume if he coached there and did relatively well.

Conspiracy theory 1... Ange ran out of ideas  as to how to take the team to the next level  so got out before he could be found out.
Conspiracy theory 2... Ange is having some sort of serious personal issues...(depression, family problems etc )
Conspiracy theory 3... all of the above

I guess the truth may come out in his next book...although the real truth is more likely in the next book about him by someone else !

Your life is an occasion...rise to it.

Interviewer "if you weren't a footballer what would you be ? "
Peter Crouch " hmmmm  ??............a virgin ? "

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"....The Usual Suspects... 1995

Septic Bladder

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »
Heard on 2GB that he has done a deal to coach in Japan for $2.8M per year for 2 years.

From an informed source who rang in. Deal done months ago.

If true - so very Ange - fits his profile perfectly.

BrynFC

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »
I can't blame him, in hindsight, he did well with the average players in the Socceroos team.

Some of his tactics were different, but without a decent forward lineup that can constantly put the ball in the back of the net without 20 chances per game, he was always going to struggle.

I wouldn't have put up with the crap he received from the media.. it's clear our players are average, nowhere at the same level as 2006 squad..

Still we qualified for the world cup, so FFA will get some money to keep the game rolling, and we also won a Asia Cup, we have seen worse as a Socceroo supporter.

Im looking forwards to see what he does with a club team, managing a national team must be bloody boring.

Takes big balls to walk away from taking your national team to the World cup after that qualifying stage, but he most likely realises this squad is very average and there is no point coaching them in the world cup.

BrynFC

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 11:56:42 AM »
Heard on 2GB that he has done a deal to coach in Japan for $2.8M per year for 2 years.

From an informed source who rang in. Deal done months ago.

If true - so very Ange - fits his profile perfectly.

Another national team, didn't see that coming, i was assuming he want to get back into the club management.

Edit--- thanks for that Septic, i read it as coaching Japan, should have read your post twice  ;D.

makes more sense than him coaching a national team
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:41:05 PM by BrynFC »

Septic Bladder

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
^ no, my undetstanding was a J League team

fergiebrisvegas

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 01:44:54 PM »
Did you hear the one about him resigning prior to the FFA being sacked by FIFA and then being reappointed by FIFA under better terms? 

Surely not but anything is possible with Ange now.
"Viewing Roar at the moment is like slowing down to look at a car  crash. You know you shouldn't be driven by morbid curiosity, but you just can't help yourself" SBS False 9 article 10.11.14

medley

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »
He seems to like quitting while he is ahead!
I admire, and celebrated, his achievements, particularly with the Roar, but ffs if him leaving is anything to do with media criticism he seriously needs a different career. The media here is mild in comparison to many other countries.
The players must be gutted, just as ours were when he quit the Roar (did a runner to victards) as he was boarding a plane to Melbourne on the day of the grand final parade without telling them beforehand.
So much for dynasty or loyalty.

Chico Raul

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 06:21:27 PM »
These days we have a greater awareness of stress an the impact on mental health. And hopefully we also have a society that is more understanding, if not compassionate.
Ange is a great coach and what he has achieved is outstanding. His departure is a great loss to football in this country and the Socceroos.
Quiet clearly the emotional toll of the last four years has had a heavy toll on him and his family.
RESPECT.
Respect not only for what he has achieved in his coaching career to date but more so for his courage in putting his hand up and basically said he is unable to continue.

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »
I admire, and celebrated, his achievements, particularly with the Roar, but ffs if him leaving is anything to do with media criticism he seriously needs a different career. The media here is mild in comparison to many other countries.
The players must be gutted, just as ours were when he quit the Roar (did a runner to victards) as he was boarding a plane to Melbourne on the day of the grand final parade without telling them beforehand.
Did you see his interview on Offsiders?
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

medley

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
Did you see his interview on Offsiders?

Afraid not.
Can please enlighten me on how that interview would perhaps change my view of Ange!

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 07:58:06 PM »
He took on all of the heat to make sure the players were able to concentrate on field. He said that all the achievements were theirs, but all the problems were his.
I don't watch much of the media circus type interviews where the players and coaches are still going over the games in their own heads and not really concentrating on the questions or how to answer them so people won't think they are rude or overly sensitive. They are necessary, but you don't get much useful information from them. On the Offsiders he was able to take his time and speak his mind.

Loyalty is a two way street. You lose yours when you feel you aren't getting any back.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

Chico Raul

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 06:21:21 AM »
He took on all of the heat to make sure the players were able to concentrate on field. He said that all the achievements were theirs, but all the problems were his.
I don't watch much of the media circus type interviews where the players and coaches are still going over the games in their own heads and not really concentrating on the questions or how to answer them so people won't think they are rude or overly sensitive. They are necessary, but you don't get much useful information from them. On the Offsiders he was able to take his time and speak his mind.

Loyalty is a two way street. You lose yours when you feel you aren't getting any back.
I really think Ange is absolutely spent emotionally. He has given every last bit of his energy over the past 4 years, and is in a state of nervous exhaustion. I am grateful for what he has done and for his commitment and wish him well. I also feel for his coaching staff who have done such a great job (magnificent) who now face several months of uncertainty over the Christmas period. We can say all of this goes with the territory (yada yada) but we are nevertheless dealing with fellow Australians who have served us admirably.
In terms of successors, I can only think of Paul Okon as one to move forward with something like Ange's playing style and intensity. I recognise Graham Arnold for turning around the under achieving Sydney team but really don't want his to see his style of football in the national team. We have already seen his negative influence on the  ALeague and a return to a more physical style.
Let's thank Ange for what he has done, wish him well, and let's savour the wonderful play of the Matildas who won again last night. I have seldom seem an Australian football team express the joy of football and all that is beautiful about the game the way the Matildas currently do. Simply sensational. You make me so proud of Australian football.

coast

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »

He was being paid over a million dollars a year to ease his pain.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2046
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205387
  • Total Topics: 8048
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1