Author Topic: So what do people think about the Win in Adelaide Then?  (Read 832 times)

Chico Raul

So what do people think about the Win in Adelaide Then?
« on: January 01, 2018, 04:15:03 PM »
I read that McKay has been given a two match suspension but that Roar are asking for a please explain re the VAR.
I didn't see the first half. I hear that the goals were against the run of play. And heard that the VAR upped the yellow to a red. Is that true? Whilst I don't want to see any Roar behavior endanger an opponent, I also don't want faceless decisions from the bunker. I had thought the VAR was about correcting obvious errors.
Based on the presser, it seems that JA analyzed Adelaide's set up and Roar applied a press which resulted in two goals. Against the run of play. Is that how it was?
From the replay, it looked like we were lucky the ref did not award fouls when FBK won the ball.
Also I heard that JA used FBK as a 10. Maybe he is on to something there. Preferable to Holman in my book. Less  huff and puff. More of a cutting edge.
It looked like Akbari was sacrificed when McKay got sent off. Any comments on how Akbari played in the first half?
From what I saw of the second half, Roar adopted a park the bus ; kick the ball anywhere approach.  It was not good to watch. Awful in fact. And Adelaide persisted in playing the ball wide and created lots of chances, hit the bar, scored one off a give away in midfield ( total Roar bungle) but otherwise, the result came down to Adelaide's total ineptness and lack of imagination going forwards. 
Maccarone looked good from what I saw.
From what I have seen so far from Gameiro's cameo appearances, he is disappointing. When will the real Corey that we were promised stand up?

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
Re: So what do people think about the Win in Adelaide Then?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:32:46 PM »
Adelaide were pretty much all over us in the first half as well with domination of possession and field position. They were very patient and created plenty of dangers but couldn't get in there to finish their chances.

Our goals came from very poor Adelaide errors. FBK was able to nip in with some physical play and win the ball from where we clinically finished off the chances.

On the McKay front, he was getting frustrated and in the minute leading up to the red and it was a brain explosion to lash out at the Reds player who had come sliding in hard but in the final split second prior to contact had been able to move his feet away so that there were no studs showing. I had no qualms with the VAR overruling the onfield ref's yellow decision. It was a stupid act and had the shoe been on the other foot I would've wanted their player sent off too.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.168 W.83 D.37 L.48

Paolo

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 08:14:26 PM »
For me the game underlines what I  have believed from pre season, that is Massimo is a top player for this league... We just need to give him the ball in the danger area... ie in the penalty area, or 6 yard box... not a through ball from half way..

Finally there is a semblance of understanding between him and BK,  like I think there was with the Frenchman....  we'll see whats to come..

Chico Raul

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 08:51:51 PM »
For me the game underlines what I  have believed from pre season, that is Massimo is a top player for this league... We just need to give him the ball in the danger area... ie in the penalty area, or 6 yard box... not a through ball from half way..

Finally there is a semblance of understanding between him and BK,  like I think there was with the Frenchman....  we'll see whats to come..
Visa players need to be good quality. It looks like in Maccarone FBK TK Papa and Tin Tin we have a good set of recruits.  Will we ever see all five fully fit and on the field at one time? If we progress in the ACL (hoping we don't) JA will not be able to include them all though.

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:00:41 PM »
Papadopolos is not counted as a foreign player because he has an Australian passport. We have an opening for an Asian import to fill the hole Mckay has left in midfield. I have no idea who might be available.
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

jamboree

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 11:25:31 PM »
Oxborrow has his chance now that McKay is out. Potentially two games on the left side of midfield with TK on the right. I'm not convinced by him. He has (and over uses) a good long range pass but lacks enough variety at the moment (hold the ball, beat a player, quick one two). This is his chance to secure a spot for next year.

Is there a CM/CDM youth player good enough to be on bench for TK or MO ?
I assume he ll move pepper forward and put a CB on if TK or MO are exhausted/injured.

Chico Raul

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 06:12:19 AM »
Oxborrow has his chance now that McKay is out. Potentially two games on the left side of midfield with TK on the right. I'm not convinced by him. He has (and over uses) a good long range pass but lacks enough variety at the moment (hold the ball, beat a player, quick one two). This is his chance to secure a spot for next year.

Is there a CM/CDM youth player good enough to be on bench for TK or MO ?
I assume he ll move pepper forward and put a CB on if TK or MO are exhausted/injured.
There has been mention of an injury replacement. I can't see where from.
Also not convinced on Oxborrow. Maybe with guidance from TK?
But who is left standing?

vando88

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 07:39:12 AM »
McKay is becoming even more a hack player and his frustration shows it. Ridiculous how his past performances haven't been under bigger scrutiny from JA. His passes go astray, way too many touches and still loses the ball, plays into traffic,I wish JA had the balls to bench McKay just to make a point about his performance and professionalism on field.
Melbourne based Brisbane Roar supporter est. 2007

mellod

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 07:42:48 AM »
The stats don't look great for us and I feel we were lucky to get away with the win.

Adelaide had:

• 72% possession to our 28%
  • 11 corners to our 2
  • 599 passes to our 247
  • 84% passing accuracy to our 54%
  • 53 crosses to our 2 (ours with 0% accuracy)
  • 27 shots to our 8 (although both teams had 6 on target)

Either our defense is pretty incredible when put under pressure, or Adelaide need a better striker.

David Dodd

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 09:35:19 AM »
The stats don't look great for us and I feel we were lucky to get away with the win.

Adelaide had:

• 11 corners to our 2
  • 599 passes to our 247

Either our defense is pretty incredible when put under pressure, or Adelaide need a better striker.

Add to those stats the near on 60 balls adelaide put into our 18 yard box. Very ugly performance. First half was incredibly one sided apart from the score.
I would like to see mckay benched and have to earn his spot back. It was a clear red card offense. Not the behaviour you want to see from the captain.

mellod

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 10:15:49 AM »

Adelaide had:

• 11 corners to our 2
  • 599 passes to our 247

Add to those stats the near on 60 balls adelaide put into our 18 yard box. Very ugly performance. First half was incredibly one sided apart from the score.
I would like to see mckay benched and have to earn his spot back. It was a clear red card offense. Not the behaviour you want to see from the captain.

Not to mention he has been pretty terrible all season. Way too many stray passes. Seems to love giving the ball away these days.

Murk

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 12:40:11 AM »
Not impressed by his grin as he came off.

Chico Raul

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 05:52:15 AM »

Adelaide had:

• 11 corners to our 2
  • 599 passes to our 247

Not to mention he has been pretty terrible all season. Way too many stray passes. Seems to love giving the ball away these days.
I just checked the stats. Matt McKay passing accuracy is 81% for the season. 660 attempted. 537 completed. In the 80 percentile is ok.  Possibly the perception of poor passing may be as a result of critical give aways curtailing attack or leading to goals? As in when he stuffs up it has most impact? I don't know. I actually thought he was playing ok in a team that basically has not been playing ok.
But I totally agree on the stupid fouls. I don't agree with the practice of the VAR increasing the sanction from yellow to red as a matter of principle, but totally agree that McKay had this coming.
And coming from the captain and an  experienced player it is totally out of order. I actually think Papa should have got the two matches and McKay six or seven. And I didn't appreciate the smurk either when he went off.
I think Skapetis should drop into the position for two games. See how he goes.   

medley

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »
Not impressed by his grin as he came off.

Probably had a wink from Ross

coast

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »
JA is reading way too much into this result. 

But I suppose he has to.  The only question for me is how far down his self delusion goes.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »
JA is reading way too much into this result. 

But I suppose he has to.  The only question for me is how far down his self delusion goes.
I give him credit for still believing. If we get troops back and the belief/self confidence rubs off more on the squad I think we can do a bit a damage in this league.. Not up near Sydney obviously but everyone else.
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.168 W.83 D.37 L.48

Tr0jan

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 11:40:04 PM »
If I was an Adelaide fan I'd be disgruntled.

We robbed them. Pure and simple. We were outplayed and yet came away with the points.

Football can be a cruel mistress sometimes.

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2046
  • Latest: 4Roar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205796
  • Total Topics: 8077
  • Online Today: 17
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0