Author Topic: So what do we do?  (Read 1063 times)

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
So what do we do?
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:44:10 AM »
Plenty of different opinions, views and ideas getting thrown around. Should JA see out the season? Are our injury curse this season the only reason we're not near the top of the tree?

Let's discuss here.

First Up, I decided to take a look at our injury woes and put together a list of squad and their appearances this season:

AFTER 15 GAMES:

15. Massimo Maccarone
14. Jack Hingert
14. Petros Skapetis
13. Matt McKay
12. Mitchell Oxborrow
12. Fahid Ben Khalfallah
11. Jamie Young   
11. Jacob Pepper
9. Nicholas D'Agostino
9. Joe Caletti
9. Eric Bautheac   
8. Luke DeVere   
8. Corey Brown
8. Avraam Papadopoulos
8. Connor O'Toole
7. Brett Holman
6. Rahmat Akbari   
6. Corey Gameiro
5. Jade North   
5. Daniel Bowles   
5. Thomas Kristensen
4. Ivan Franjic *Arrived in November*   
4. Michael Theo   
3. Dane Ingham   
3. Daniel Leck
1. Adam Sawyer   
0. Shannon Brady   

Now if we go for a side like this (open for discussion):

Theo

Hingert        Papadopoulos    DeVere     Brown

Kristensen

Holman                   McKay

Ben Khalfallah                                    Bautheac

Maccarone

Bench: Young, North/Bowles, Gameiro, Skapetis, Caletti

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For mine our starting 11 displays how many players have special qualities to be creative and provide sparks going forward. Kristensen, Holman, Ben Khalfallah, Bautheac and Maccarone are in that category. Now review how many games players like Bautheac, Holman and Kristensen have missed and suddenly that's a serious quality hole to plug. Especially if you only really have grafters AND/OR inexperienced players to bring in ie. Pepper, Oxborrow, Skapetis, D'Agostino. Akbari.
Then defensively my favored center pairing has hardly played together in the same games plus our most experienced CB has only featured in 5 matches. Hingert has had a good run at RB but the constant changes inside of him would make it difficult to work on smooth understanding. Left back has been an issue too with injuries so no consistency there either.
All in all our constant injury issues have been killing any chance for us to build some consistency. Should JA in preseason also have focused more on building on a strong robust system and drilled the whole squad to follow that to a tee? Would that have made the squaddies more aware about what was expected of them in each possie? Possibly.

Thoughts?
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.168 W.83 D.37 L.48

Septic Bladder

Re: So what do we do?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »
Three under 30

dobo

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »
I agree with what you have said. Of the best 11 you put out i think FBK and Holeman are the weakest links and JA had really fell down in terms of recruiting for those two positions, they can give a spark going forward but far too often are wasteful with the ball, try to do too much and are lazy defensively. you can have one of them in the team but need to back it up with someone like borrello who gives the spark going forward as well as huge workrate.

I think JA has to hold his hand up and say he has got the conditioning of the players completely wrong. I dont believe that the club has a strength and conditioning coach which is a huge oversight. Aloisi said that he based the loading on the last couple of season, he clearly is out of his depth in this facet of the game and need to find his Andrew Clarke.

I am ambivalent in regards to JA going or staying. He clearly can get his recruiting right, Jmac, Corona, Kristensen, callettie, beuteac, o-toole, papa are all superb players that he brought into the squad. overall i think he has had more successes than flops. JA has got us 3rd 2 years in a row, and i think that without injuries we would have at least been competitive this season. If he does stay on he needs to address his shortcomeings Ie find a fitness coach, and medical team.

Finsta

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
I had a fair essay written up about another issue that JA has not addressed but it somehow didn't post so I lost it. Instead of going from scratch again here were my main points:
1. Goalscoring. Previous 2 season JMac has scored 20 in each with closest teammates being at the 8 and 7 goal mark 2 seasons ago and 5 and 4 last season.
2. That paints a strong picture in relation to the team relying too heavily on the point man to score the absolute bulk of our goals.
3. Maccarone is doing his bit this season but in reality JA has failed in developing better plans and tactics for the final third that would result in a more even spread scoring wise.
4. It's an indictment that we've only scored 16 goals in 15 games this season. 7 by Maccarone and 3 by Popa.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

Murk

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »
I had a fair essay written up about another issue that JA has not addressed but it somehow didn't post so I lost it. Instead of going from scratch again here were my main points:
1. Goalscoring. Previous 2 season JMac has scored 20 in each with closest teammates being at the 8 and 7 goal mark 2 seasons ago and 5 and 4 last season.
2. That paints a strong picture in relation to the team relying too heavily on the point man to score the absolute bulk of our goals.
3. Maccarone is doing his bit this season but in reality JA has failed in developing better plans and tactics for the final third that would result in a more even spread scoring wise.
4. It's an indictment that we've only scored 16 goals in 15 games this season. 7 by Maccarone and 3 by Popa.
Are you counting penalties? If so would their deduction from McLaren and bestowal on the next in line have been significant?

Orange Emperoar

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 11:07:13 PM »
Maclaren scored five penalties last year.
I think you'll find that most good strikers don't rely on penalties for their high tallies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjeAOto6LJM
Sport: Exciting only when you are sitting down

dobo

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:25:08 AM »
I dont mind having a point man score the bulk of the goals, this is their job and really that has been how we have set up to play. work the ball into a position so that striker can do his job. I dont see this season as a failing of our target man, i see it as a failing of the attacking build up not providing service (some of this can be put down to not having the players available). there is a reason Maccarone has looked good in the #10 role the past 2 weeks he is getting much more ball in the deeper position, he has shown that he is a class player with the ball at his feet. the problem is that when he is playing striker he has been so isolated and getting the ball with 3 players to beat because the service has been absolute rubbish.

I have found that FBK, Holeman and skapetis (FBK is by a long way the most guilty) all try to do too much with the ball, dribbling far too much, trying to take on players with the ball at the feet instead of pass and move. I have liked when Leck and Akbari have come on because they have kept it simple pass and move and have looked dangerous because of it

Finsta

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »
I dont mind having a point man score the bulk of the goals, this is their job and really that has been how we have set up to play. work the ball into a position so that striker can do his job. I dont see this season as a failing of our target man, i see it as a failing of the attacking build up not providing service (some of this can be put down to not having the players available). there is a reason Maccarone has looked good in the #10 role the past 2 weeks he is getting much more ball in the deeper position, he has shown that he is a class player with the ball at his feet. the problem is that when he is playing striker he has been so isolated and getting the ball with 3 players to beat because the service has been absolute rubbish.

I have found that FBK, Holeman and skapetis (FBK is by a long way the most guilty) all try to do too much with the ball, dribbling far too much, trying to take on players with the ball at the feet instead of pass and move. I have liked when Leck and Akbari have come on because they have kept it simple pass and move and have looked dangerous because of it
I guess that's where I'm thinking that if opposition teams really do a good job of isolating our striker then we don't have a plan B to get others into good areas and create solid scoring opportunities.

We've scored 4 goals in our last 6 games. 3 by Maccarone and 1 by FBK. And don't forget that 2 of those were from Adelaide gifts.

Brisbane Roar -
2011/12 Champions

coast

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
Guys, if not for the Nix, we're dead set favs for the spoon.  The squad is overaged shit.  The players coming back in - Holman and McKay - are too old to make a difference and weren't playing well.  I don't buy this injury argument for a moment.  We'd be where we are no matter what. The good players are too old and the younger players aren't good enough.  Aloisi simply isn't even a half decent coach and our club is going nowhere til he's gone.

denzele

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 07:12:52 PM »
Guys, if not for the Nix, we're dead set favs for the spoon.  The squad is overaged shit.  The players coming back in - Holman and McKay - are too old to make a difference and weren't playing well.  I don't buy this injury argument for a moment.  We'd be where we are no matter what. The good players are too old and the younger players aren't good enough.  Aloisi simply isn't even a half decent coach and our club is going nowhere til he's gone.
Guess what coast Nix won today :) .

Septic Bladder

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
It?s refreshing to see a real battle developing for the Wooden Spoon.

With Wellington winning last night and with a game in hand, it could be all square at the bottom soon. Goal difference could win it.

So what Brisbane need to do now is focus on this battle, take it right to the last round, park the bus where ever possible and pick up the odd point.

Just imagine if this were a real world league, Aloisi would have been sacked by now in a desperate attempt to avoid relegation.

coast

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 05:36:57 PM »
It?s refreshing to see a real battle developing for the Wooden Spoon.

With Wellington winning last night and with a game in hand, it could be all square at the bottom soon. Goal difference could win it.

So what Brisbane need to do now is focus on this battle, take it right to the last round, park the bus where ever possible and pick up the odd point.

Just imagine if this were a real world league, Aloisi would have been sacked by now in a desperate attempt to avoid relegation.

I find it impossible to think of a League about which I have even passing knowledge where either Aloisi or Moore would still have their jobs.  If they aren't accountable for this mess, who is?

If the Bakries want to completely screw their investment by ruining the club, they are on the right track.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:40:14 PM by coast »

Chico Raul

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 06:19:06 AM »
Against Sydney, the skill on the ball from Maccarone, Tin Tin, FBK and TK was excellent. TK's composure was outstanding. Add Papa into the mix and for the first time in many a season we have five quality imports. No Broich, but still some good quality. Whether or not we get another season from these guys is something to discuss at end of the season.
As far as this season goes, these guys are good.
In a salary capped League there will always be your squaddies. Sydney have enjoyed success through a stable side built around a core of quality imports.  They also have picked up a gem in the Polish guy, but we have yet to see what Tin Tin is really capable of too.
Basically that team has been together for yonks and the ordinary players start to look better than they are.
Add to the mix a ruthless in mid field when it comes to scything tackles, and a couple of grubs in the arsenal to disrupt the flow, provoke the opposition and take out a player or two. You know who I am talking about.
Add to that the kinder fixturing that comes with derbies.
Maybe I just hate Sydney and that blinds me to seeing how good they are. Maybe it is Arnie's abrasive arrogance. Maybe it is memories of seeing Arnie give away the Championship to us in the first GF. I just look at it as Sydney having a bit of a dream run. When I look at the likes of Newcastle, and what they are doing, I am more inclined to say that Merrick is a good coach. Arnie I cannot stand. Don't let him near the National Team.
It looks like this won't be our year. Broich is gone and we are rebuilding. Excellent youngsters coming through. Some good quality imports. Great keeper. We need a clean out of a few older hands and under performing squaddies, and if we can find decent recruits, I am optimistic for the future. But we need to get the fitness and training regime fixed.

coast

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »
Against Sydney, the skill on the ball from Maccarone, Tin Tin, FBK and TK was excellent. TK's composure was outstanding. Add Papa into the mix and for the first time in many a season we have five quality imports. No Broich, but still some good quality. Whether or not we get another season from these guys is something to discuss at end of the season.
As far as this season goes, these guys are good.
In a salary capped League there will always be your squaddies. Sydney have enjoyed success through a stable side built around a core of quality imports.  They also have picked up a gem in the Polish guy, but we have yet to see what Tin Tin is really capable of too.
Basically that team has been together for yonks and the ordinary players start to look better than they are.
Add to the mix a ruthless in mid field when it comes to scything tackles, and a couple of grubs in the arsenal to disrupt the flow, provoke the opposition and take out a player or two. You know who I am talking about.
Add to that the kinder fixturing that comes with derbies.
Maybe I just hate Sydney and that blinds me to seeing how good they are. Maybe it is Arnie's abrasive arrogance. Maybe it is memories of seeing Arnie give away the Championship to us in the first GF. I just look at it as Sydney having a bit of a dream run. When I look at the likes of Newcastle, and what they are doing, I am more inclined to say that Merrick is a good coach. Arnie I cannot stand. Don't let him near the National Team.
It looks like this won't be our year. Broich is gone and we are rebuilding. Excellent youngsters coming through. Some good quality imports. Great keeper. We need a clean out of a few older hands and under performing squaddies, and if we can find decent recruits, I am optimistic for the future. But we need to get the fitness and training regime fixed.

But there's the problem, CR - we're NOT rebuilding.  Not unless you think of rebuilding as taking a fallen down shed and rebuilding by going the landfill and scavenging bits of old roof iron.

Incidentally, my info is that Sydney have conceded the least fouls of any A League team this season.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:52:49 PM by coast »

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 205853
  • Total Topics: 8080
  • Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 38