Author Topic: Brisbane Roar guarantee John Aloisi?s future at the club is safe  (Read 1464 times)

mellod

ROAR coach John Aloisi will be given the chance to ?rectify? battling Brisbane?s fortunes next season.

The club?s managing director David Pourre reiterated the Roar?s full support of Aloisi after chairman Rahim Soekasah?s declaration last month that the former Socceroos striker had the total backing of club owners, the Bakrie Group.

Since then Brisbane?s downward spiral has continued.

The Roar have lost three successive games, including last Friday?s 1-0 defeat in Newcastle, ahead of Thursday night?s home clash against fellow strugglers Perth Glory.

The Glory have lost four on the trot, with pressure mounting on Perth coach Kenny Lowe.

But while both coaches are desperate for a win on Thursday, Aloisi?s job will be safe regardless of the result and where the Roar, currently second last on the ladder, finish this season.

?John has the full support of the club,? Pourre said.

?We haven?t written off this season ? but whatever happens, John will have the chance to rectify the situation next season.

?He deserves that after what he?s done in tough circumstances since he has been here.

?We?ve been very close (to winning silverware) in the past couple of seasons. This season things have worked against us, but we?re working on things for next season.?

The Roar?s internal review of the club?s on and off-field will continue throughout the year.

Pourre vowed Aloisi would not have to contend with another ?interrupted? pre-season.

?That has definitely contributed to the problems we?ve had this season,? Pourre said.

Perth beat the Roar 2-1 at Suncorp Stadium last month thanks to late goals from key pair Andy Keogh and Diego Castro.

But they have had nothing to smile about since, having conceded 14 goals and scored only two in their following four games.

However, Lowe believes he?s still the right man to coach the Glory, who suffered a 3-2 weekend loss to Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park.

?You?re always confident in yourself,? Lowe said.

?People talk about pressure, but there was pressure the first day I came in and there?ll be pressure the last day I go out.

?The pressure doesn?t change it?s what you make of it. It?s probably the first blip that I?ve had in my time here.?

?I don?t think everyone can be on the same page. Everyone?s got an opinion. Such is life. But within the group everyone?s working hard ? there?s a lot of optimism.?

-------

I wonder whether Aloisi will be kept because the club actually thinks he deserves another season or because they are too cheap to pay out the remainder of his 3 year contract?

BrynFC

Re: Brisbane Roar guarantee John Aloisi?s future at the club is safe
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:31:31 AM »
You would have to think its all about money, most people can see its not working.

They should just cut their losses, sack JA and Moore, cut 3/4 of the squad while they have the chance.

Hire a new fitness team and a new manager that wants to play attacking football with australian youth and rebuild the team according.

If JA is given a another chance next season, i really can't see it being any different to this season.

coast

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:18:14 AM »
f**k David Pourre and the entire club management and ownership structure.

I think it's about money and not wanting to pay out the coaching staff.   My contempt for the club management knows no bounds.

We'll see how this plays after another half dozen losses, a quick exit from the ACL and Suncorp crowds heading for 5k. The point Pourre is missing (deliberately, most likely) is that Aloisi's two third place finishes were achieved with a fading but good team built by other coaches.  This season, it's all his own work, and look how that's turned out.

Bring on another Brisbane team, please.  Pourre and Aloisi are creating a whole cadre of supporters ready to jump ship to real football club managed by people who don't have their heads up their arses.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:23:45 AM by coast »

mellod

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:27:43 AM »
This makes sense, as we are perfectly positioned for a complete rebuild of the squad.

Aloisi will sign some not great players (including existing squad members) to long contracts, will get the sack next season, leaving the new coach stuck with an under performing squad and his hands tied.

Obviously I hope the opposite happens and JA proves next season to be a genius.

gooseman22

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »
The point Pourre is missing (deliberately, most likely) is that Aloisi's two third place finishes were achieved with a fading but good team built by other coaches.  This season, it's all his own work, and look how that's turned out.

Took the words right out of my mouth (off my keyboard?)
This season, I thought, WAS his opportunity to show what he could do with his own squad, under his own conditions and taking his own responsibility. Any ?tough circumstances? have been, for the most part, his own doing!

coast

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »
The point Pourre is missing (deliberately, most likely) is that Aloisi's two third place finishes were achieved with a fading but good team built by other coaches.  This season, it's all his own work, and look how that's turned out.

Took the words right out of my mouth (off my keyboard?)
This season, I thought, WAS his opportunity to show what he could do with his own squad, under his own conditions and taking his own responsibility. Any ?tough circumstances? have been, for the most part, his own doing!

Not mention that Kurtz at Adelaide has had worse time with injuries and Olyroos and has done SO much better than JA.

jamboree

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:18:32 AM »
His recruitment hasn t been perfect but I don't think it has been awful.
Some of the squad problems are due to 'former' greats at the club that are injured, past it or on long term contracts - North, Devere, Theo, Brady

Successful recruitment:
Corona (shame he didn't stay) then replaced him with TK.
Papadopoulos
Youth - O'Toole, Caletti
Maclaren
Bautheac

Ok signings
Maccarone
Oar - made club money
? Gameiro -- has potenital to be a successful.
FBK

Unsuccessful
Holman
Arana
Hervas
Skapetis so far
Oxborrow so far
Pepper

His errors have been holding onto players too long leading to loss of youth players:
- Holman --- instead of trusting in Dimi Petratos (would dimi still be here if holman wasn't signed ??)
- North -- would Jackson have gone to Newcastle or Rowles to CCM ?
- What to do with Mckay next year ???? Caletti ?

mellod

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 08:39:19 AM »
Interestingly, JA didn't find Corona. He was offered to Perth initially, but they chose to sign Castro. Corona then got offered around the A-League.

coast

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 10:24:50 AM »
Some of the squad problems are due to 'former' greats at the club that are injured, past it or on long term contracts - North, Devere, Theo, Brady

Successful recruitment:
Papadopoulos
Youth - O'Toole, Caletti
Maclaren
Bautheac

Ok signings
Maccarone
Oar - made club money
FBK

Unsuccessful
Holman
Arana
Hervas
Skapetis so far
Oxborrow so far
Pepper

His errors have been holding onto players too long leading to loss of youth players:
- Holman --- instead of trusting in Dimi Petratos (would dimi still be here if holman wasn't signed ??)

Frankly, that list looks awful in terms of hits and misses.

mellod

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 10:38:01 AM »
Agree looking at that list, it isn't great. 6 day signings and 4 meh signings (both marquees in these categories), compared to 5 signings that have worked out. I also think Maclaren was a bit of a "freak" signing in that we were very lucky that Perth were stupid enough to lose a potential 20 goal per season striker.

Factor in not being able to hold onto players like Dimi, Borello, Maclaren, and choosing to not re-sign Thomas it certainly doesn't favour JA.

Finsta

• Brisbane Roar Till I Die!
  • The Pain Train Is Coming!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:03:05 PM »
The only way for JA to survive is to adapt and learn very quickly from the areas where the squad and his tactics/methods are currently failing.
From my point of view some of these are:
1. Strength and Conditioning: An absolute clusterfuck this season. Need to get top notch people in there asap.
2. Training facilities: Should be improved quicksmart once we move into our new training base.
3. Craig Moore: Is he a help or hindrance to JA at present? From the outside it doesn't look like it's working too well.
4. Ross Aloisi: No doubt Ross brings passion, fire and brimstone but does he bring enough tactical nous to help JA out? It definitely doesn't feel like we're playing with any great plan out there and more relying on individual brilliance. This is a big area where JA needs to improve.
5. Recruitment: It's gonna be tough to recruit quality Aussie players if JA doesn't steady the current Roar ship. He needs to be able to sell the club as being on a positive track. There is a great opportunity here to recruit well considering the amount of spots open. 2 Marquee deals should be on the table. Surely we can't do worse than a 38 year old leading the line and a 33 year old who's only featured in 7 of 16 games this season?
A champion is one who gets up when he can't.

Brisbane Roar -
2013/14 Champions & Premiers
2011/12 Champions
2010/11 Champions & Premiers

Brisbane @ Home - Pl.168 W.83 D.37 L.48

dobo

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 12:41:30 PM »

Successful recruitment:
Papadopoulos
Youth - O'Toole, Caletti
Maclaren
Bautheac

Ok signings
Maccarone
Oar - made club money
FBK

Unsuccessful
Holman
Arana
Hervas
Skapetis so far
Oxborrow so far
Pepper

Frankly, that list looks awful in terms of hits and misses.

I dont think it is too bad when you consider that the majority of the unsuccessful signings were not signed as first team players just as squadies or even depth players. Arana, Hervas, Skapetis, Oxborrow and Pepper were really only ever meant to be bench players or possible diamond in the rough if they play well. The problem (particularly this season) is that we have had to rely on these players to not only be first teamers but heavily rely on them to replace stand out players.

I would only put Holeman and FBK as the truly unsuccessful signings for Aloisi as they were always meant to be stand out first teamers and have hardly had an impact at all.

mellod

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
I think it is ridiculous to think that anyone would sign visa players for the bench. Everyone knows that your visa players should be your 5 best players, and they should be signed with a view that they are automatic starters.

dobo

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »
they definitely should be starters but that is not what aloisi had signed them for. we had out and out starters for those positions (dimi, borrello, broich), both those foreigners were late (cheap) pick ups to fill spots that we would have struggled to fill otherwise, and were never really aimed at being first teamer.

jamboree

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
One the biggest recruitment issues has been the inability to replace the high work-rate/good engine players.

Maclaren + Borrello  + Dimi (+/- Mackay +/- North)

The benefit of the young front three gave us: better defence through pressure, tracking back + the ability to over run teams in the last 15 minutes. The additional benefit was their durability allowed them to play the full 90 minutes (eg skapetis).
At the moment, the players don't have as good engines, are slower and then need to be subbed off eg skapetis or fade away in the last 20 mins.
This is one of the reasons (several others including poor defending) for the struggles at Suncorp. Large and soft pitch in combination with the sapping humidity exaggerates the lack of fitness. We look better away from home where fitness is not as important.

Adelaide played well against Sydney with young players up front and wide who kept running for 90+ minutes. The spine of the team was experienced (Adlung, Isiasis, Gulum) with front 3 and fullbacks constantly chasing sydney players.

MonteCristo

• Two feet, studs up
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 05:34:23 PM »
Someone please buy out the Bakries. Please.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 206058
  • Total Topics: 8095
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 13
Total: 14