Author Topic: Melbourne Victory vs Brisbane Roar - 9/2/18 - HAL Rnd 20 - AAMI Park  (Read 1612 times)

dobo

Re: Melbourne Victory vs Brisbane Roar - 9/2/18 - HAL Rnd 20 - AAMI Park
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »
Back on the game and I still have it out for Jamie Young. Again is distribution left a lot to be desired. I counted a few times where his long balls when to the opposition players with none of our players near it. The most frustrating parts were when he received the ball from a defender or a long ball was played through and instead of looking square for a pass to a CB or LB/RB he pumped it up the field. It's just simply not up to A-League standard.

this has definitely been a directive from JA. At the beginning of the season he was still looking for the short pass to play out from the back but there has definitely been a directive to just play it long unless you are under no pressure what so ever. I think it probably started when JA realised that we were not going to have a stable CB pairing. it has also been noticeable that our CB have been bringing the ball down less this season (the ball is often just pumped forward by them even when they have time to have a touch and find a pass)

I have been one in the past to say that Young's distribution has merited him being 2nd choice behind Theo and that if he was better at it then he would likely not have to make as many saves. the latter is still true but i think he has improved enough to be first choice keeper. he would be the best keeper in the league if he could kick the ball well.

Chico Raul

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 09:34:04 PM »
Shades of the win at Adelaide. Grab a couple of goals and then defend. Kick the ball anywhere. Hit and hope.
Maybe it is recognition that we don't have a squad that can attack with intensity for 90 minutes.
And we have certainly learned that referees don't really penalize the cynical sort of fouls to break down transition we have copped in seasons passed, and it looks like a case of if you can't beat them then join them. We are now also doing that sort of stuff.
I guess a win is a win and against Victory on their turf is an achievement. And to see Berisha tamed was good to see.
On another day though,  had they had the rub of the green, they would have beaten us with the chances they had.

Chico Raul

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 05:44:10 AM »
Shades of the win at Adelaide. Grab a couple of goals and then defend. Kick the ball anywhere. Hit and hope.
Maybe it is recognition that we don't have a squad that can attack with intensity for 90 minutes.
And we have certainly learned that referees don't really penalize the cynical sort of fouls to break down transition we have copped in seasons passed, and it looks like a case of if you can't beat them then join them. We are now also doing that sort of stuff.
I guess a win is a win and against Victory on their turf is an achievement. And to see Berisha tamed was good to see.
On another day though,  had they had the rub of the green, they would have beaten us with the chances they had.
Being a split round and being that we played Victory, the A League Review with Bozza and Scott Miller spent more time discussing Brisbane than normal.
Miller who people will remember once coached Jets, analysed Roar's defence structure and was essentially complimentary. At least more than my kick the ball anywhere approach comments.
Well structured, well discipline and well motivated. Credit has to go to JA for some of that.
They commented that JA's analysis and preparation to play Victory was good.
They commented on whether that approach was attractive enough for home games,  but suggested that Roar adopt the same approach at home. Maybe explains the falling attendances as much as the results.
They also looked at the stats for when TK plays a full game and basically confirmed what people have been saying. Without a fit TK Brisbane is much poorer.
All in all we saw a triumph of substance over style.
It is sad to see how in the post Broich era the style has gone.
I watched the Maccarone goal again. I don't recall Mclaren producing a finish like that. Can anyone else?
The gap in terms of skill between the two Macca's is immense. But Jamie has age and pace on his side.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:55:52 AM by Chico Raul »

dobo

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 09:19:47 AM »
one thing that Jmac had was his off the ball work, both defensively and in attack. he made very very clever runs off the ball to move defenders around so that he didnt need all the ball skill of Big Mac to score goals (and also gave others more time and space). Jmac didn't really finish like Big Mac because a he didnt need to. the majority of his goals came from being in the right spot at the right time which is a whole different set of skills.

saying that he did have some classy finishes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI38b1-VxMI goal 3 and 4 are both fantastic in that one and goal 15 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK1kiFvHgPk is very good technically as well.

Chico Raul

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 06:35:56 AM »
one thing that Jmac had was his off the ball work, both defensively and in attack. he made very very clever runs off the ball to move defenders around so that he didnt need all the ball skill of Big Mac to score goals (and also gave others more time and space). Jmac didn't really finish like Big Mac because a he didnt need to. the majority of his goals came from being in the right spot at the right time which is a whole different set of skills.

saying that he did have some classy finishes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI38b1-VxMI goal 3 and 4 are both fantastic in that one and goal 15 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK1kiFvHgPk is very good technically as well.
Hi Dobo. Thanks for sharing. Some crackers there that I had forgotten about and  lessons in penalty taking too.

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 206101
  • Total Topics: 8099
  • Online Today: 29
  • Online Ever: 141
  • (February 13, 2013, 11:48:11 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12